Tank Bag Advice Please

redcastle

Reaction score
Im off to the USA in may and have hired a 1200RT.
Ive looked at bum / waist bags for all my bits maps etc but think a tank bag is the best choice. The hirers don't do them.
Something light and easily fitted that wont scratch the paint or mean I have to get my toolkit out and start stripping the fuel filler etc.:D

Doesn't have to be that big, probably 12 ltrs or so

Done a google but there's nothing like experience

any ideas ?

:thumb2

For trips like this, I use an Oxford First Time, strap-on tankbag....

OL423%20Oxford%201st%20time%20strap%20on%20tank%20bag.jpg

About £40 from various sources. I got mine for a tenner from Hein Gericke with an MCN voucher a few years ago. I wouldn't have wanted to pay £40 for it but it's been very useful on US trips on rented and borrowed GSes and on a borrowed ST1100 Pan European.

I still have my tank bag from my 1200RT if you'd like to borrow it.

Drop me a PM if you're interested.. :thumb

The Oxford First Time bag pictured above is a decent piece of kit for the money. I paid £35 from my local Yamaha dealer in Gloucester.

You could use it as hand luggage for the flight as it expands to about the size of a cabin bag. Easy to fit the base with 3 straps - one around the headstock, the others to the seat rails. The bag then zips onto the base and can be used as a rucksack off the bike.

My only criticism is that you have to disconnect the headstock strap to flip the bag up to access the fuel filler. This is a little fiddly but improved with the addition of a little velcro to stop the strap dropping down below the bars

Im off to the USA in may and have hired a 1200RT

Me too :D having looked at the options, I picked up a s/h BMW RT tankbag for £100 as I knew I could sell it for the same price after the holiday.

In the meantime we took an RT for a long test ride so we'd know what it was like when we picked the hire bike up in LA, really liked it and swapped the GS in for a new R1200RT SE :beerjug: So, we also bought pannier and topbox liners to make packing easier

Me too :D having looked at the options, I picked up a s/h BMW RT tankbag for £100 as I knew I could sell it for the same price after the holiday.

In the meantime we took an RT for a long test ride so we'd know what it was like when we picked the hire bike up in LA, really liked it and swapped the GS in for a new R1200RT SE :beerjug: So, we also bought pannier and topbox liners to make packing easier

That's a good idea I never thought of, thinking about hiring an RT in the US later this year, can take my tank and pannier bags with me:thumb

PS. the BMW tank bag is excellent, buy a good used on on ebay or on here. Fits and removes in 3 seconds flat!!

Im off to the USA in may and have hired a 1200RT.
Ive looked at bum / waist bags for all my bits maps etc but think a tank bag is the best choice. The hirers don't do them.
Something light and easily fitted that wont scratch the paint or mean I have to get my toolkit out and start stripping the fuel filler etc.:D

Doesn't have to be that big, probably 12 ltrs or so

Done a google but there's nothing like experience

any ideas ?

:thumb2

Ring me in the office next week; may be able to help.
Regards,
Pc 520 Martyn Hillier,
BikeSafe Co-ordinator, Gloucestershire Constabulary,
Operations Centre, Bamfurlong Lane,
Cheltenham, Glos GL51 6ST
Tel Direct Dial 01242 (24) 7028 or the ANPR office on 01242 (24) 7030.

Thank you all for the helpful advice.

gr8roberto
I've sent you a pm

MartinH
I will ring you next week

thanks folks :thumb:thumb

Back
Top Bottom