Recommend me a fuel pump?

Magwych

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I am fitting auxiliary fuel tanks to the Shercos for extended range in rallies; but, need to move the fuel from the outlet into the main fuel tank.

The lowest point of the main tank is higher than the outlet of the aux tank so I need to be able to move the fuel up to get it in to the main tank.

I am thinking of fitting an lectric pump, driven off a relay switched by the low fuel sensor and with handlebar mounted push button to override. The wiring I am fien with, but need to find a suitable pump.

I have tried a Facet fuel pump, but it needs a lot of space, which the Shercos do not have...

Can anyone recommend a (very) small pump that can transfer the fuel between the tanks? It needs to be 12V , ideally low current draw, self-priming, waterproof, it will have to lift the fuel 40-50 cm, and needs to move it at a minimum rate of say 2000ml/min, through 8 or 10 mm tubing, and be able to take the vibrations being mounted on thumper. And not too expensive!

Any thoughts ?

Look at a s/hand item for a Suzuki RF400/600, they are small slightly larger than a bike starter solenoid and rubber mounted, might be what you are after

Do you want to mount external or internal??
If external, above mentioned a good bet or CBR600 95ish had an external fuel pump, low pressure to carbs. Easy to mount one pump & use for both tanks. Low current draw & should be rugged enough as also rubber mounted. If going internal (bit tricky no real advantage) you would have to use a pump off a FI bike BUT higher current draw & flow rate would be excessive. I would personally go the external route & use just one pump with 2 taps then you can empty extra tanks independant of each other,
ps most external pumps are self priming so again makes it easier.
Would love a photo of you set up as also interested for an overland trip with my DR800,
Paddy

Definitely needs to be an external mount, I do not want to cut up the tank to fit an internal pump - yet.

The Shercos are FI, with the HP pump inside the main tank. They are also quite compact, not a lot of room anywhere for additional components.

An interesting twist may be to try to use a Piaggio/Gilera/Vespa vacuum pump, and take a vaccum feed off the ttrottle body....I like this idea not least because of the lack of electrics and pure simplicity. Trouble is I need to get a hold of one of these pumps to see how big they are, for all I know they may be huge ?

Another thought is to get a "collar" made up, same shape us the fuel pump plate in the base of the tank. The idea being that it would sit between the fuel pump plate and the tank, effectively lowering the position of the fuel pump itself. If it were low enough in its new position I could run a lo-tech gravity feed between the auxilliary and main tanks. This basically copies the idea that RallyRaid use to link their extra 690 front tanks to the main tank.

Trouble is I have no idea about who to approach to get such a collar made, nor how much that would cost.:blast

An old thread (sorry) but Yamaha fuel pumps as used on the old Diversion bikes are quite small. But it would need switch to stop the pump when the aux tank runs dry.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html;js...+fuel+pump&_nkwusc=dicersion+fuel+pump&_rdc=1

For bikes with external fuel pumps the fuel suction could be swapped over via a solenoid valve. Something I was considering on my Divvie 900 when I was planning to fit a secondary tank above the gearbox.

Thanks Ben.

I actually solved the propblem by using a vaccuum pump from a Piaggio. The pressure fluctuations to drive it are provided by taking a tee off the crankcase breather hose.

Being a low pressure supply a one way breather valve on the main tank filler cap stops the main tank overfilling.

Because it is a simple diaphragm type pump when I close the fual tap on the reserve tank the diaphragm will stop moving.
No electrics, no controls. Simples:aidan

Back
Top Bottom