Bolivia and Peru

Vampire

I'm just back from a three week motorcycle tour of Bolivia and Peru, and I have to say that it was my best motorcycle experience in over 40 years on four continents. The roads varied from truly awesome to just plain terrifying. The sealed highways were generally good quality and the excitement came from endless switchbacks and tight curves as you went up and down the Andes. Repeat that exercise on dirt roads, mostly hard packed, but with powder soft corners, and straight sections often with corrugations 3 to 4 inches high. Traffic was light outside the cities, but locals travel on whatever side of the road takes their fancy at the time. Nothing unusual to be faced with trucks overtaking one another on blind curves, for vehicles to stop in the middle of the road to fix a flat or other ailment, and to leave behind large rocks that they had used as jacks. Constant vigilance was required at all times. Fuel was obtained in small villages where they would fill your bike from buckets. It didn't pay to think about the quality.
Our group hired motorcycles from La Paz, a mixed collection of Africa Twins, XR650's, KLR650's, Honda 400 singles, and an XR250. We did a tour organized by Mike Ferris, www.ferriswheels.com.au, but no matter how you do it, I can highly recommend those countries.
We met two riders from the UK on BMW F650's, one was a motorcycle journalist, and riders from Canada along the way.
When I get a little better organised, I can post some pictures if anyone is interested.
Ciao,

The Jurno could have been Dan Walsh... and if it was you who rode with him from Cusco and through the sacred valley with the Guy that owns the Norton Rats bar then your mentioned in this months copy of Bike mag.

I rode that route back in June on a 1340 HD softtail

Wreford Miles said:
The Jurno could have been Dan Walsh... and if it was you who rode with him from Cusco and through the sacred valley with the Guy that owns the Norton Rats bar then your mentioned in this months copy of Bike mag.

I rode that route back in June on a 1340 HD softtail
No, I didn't ride with him, just met him at Lake Titicaca. Met the owner of the Norton Rats bar in Cusco, had a meal and a few beers, bought the T-shirt. The HOG's of Lima were in the area at the time. The best road was from Nazca to Abancay, outstanding, then Abancay to Cusco was good, but mild. In Bolivia it was mainly dirt, wish I was on the GS, but not mine, particularly when riding across the Salar, endless miles of salt flats.

Hi Vampire,
just read part of your trip report through Bolivia and Peru, well done!
I think that I have seen the two BMW F650's being checked/repaired at the BMW agency's service station here in Quito, but had no chance to see and talk to their owners who, I was told and saw from their license plates, were from the UK.
Could you possibly please give me their names and address?
I'd be very interested to know more about their trip and experience if, indeed, they have been riding here in Ecuador.
Andino

Back
Top Bottom