Tyres for Hd Typhoon Wheels

fatbaldbob

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I would like to change my Dunlops for a something better ie with some grip and the general consensus of the HD community seems to be Avons are the ones to go for. My problem being my bike (2006 Street Bob) is fitted with Typhoon Wheels, 17" rear and 19" front. I'm guessing this is a non standard size as all the other tyre manufacturers with the exception of Dunlop, do not seem to have a rear to fit this size wheel, the current tyre being Dunlop 180/60 B17 no one else seems to have one in this size! Or can I safely fit a different size as long as it's 17" ie narrower 170/55 which is available from other makes?

I have a 2007 Street Bob with the standard wire wheels, front 19 inch rear 17 inch.
I am on my second set of Avons since the original Dunlops were about half worn, as far as I can remember the front is 110/90 x 19 Avon Venom and the rear is a 160/70 x 17 Storm,these are the standard sizes,they do have specific load ratings for Harleys though which I can't remember.

I was looking at the Avon site today to check the sizes and pressures but they are not showing any fitments for the Dynas at the moment I am not sure why as thats were I got the info before.

The 180 section Dunlop rear is listed by Harley as the Screaming Eagle wide tyre conversion!,but the 160 Avon looks wider than the 170 Bridgestone 021 on my GS rear alloy and has a much flatter profile,I doubt there are any benefits from the 180.

Had a look at www.mynetmoto.com and they have the rears with the 79V rating on sale at 113.81 Euros, but their fitment guide does not seem to work for newer Harleys either.

The Avons are an improvement over the Dunlops for sure especially in stability.
Wouldn't mind a set of typhoon wheels for mine, they look ace and no more tubes to mess about with!

I have Michelin Scorcher 31 tyres on my Street Bob,

I've done just over 3,000 miles since Christmas in all sorts of crap weather,and i'm very impressed with their performance,

They are original fitment, with the Harley Davidson logo.

Cheers Graham

Back
Top Bottom