K1600 GT.... Metzler Z8 tyres

Wapping

Reaction score
I went through one set of Z8's in about 5'500 miles, down to 1mm front and back.

I have just hacked a rear in very short order from a 'reasonable amount of tread' available, right down to the carcass in about 5,200 miles.... From tread to beading, in very quick progression. The front is worn out, too.

That is two full sets of Z8's worn out (one tyre dangerously so) in under 11,000 miles. I do very few pure motorway miles, so it's mostly 'spirited' D road stuff in France.

After thirty plus years of motorcycling (including thousands clocked up on a Blackbird, so weight and power was not an unknown subject) I thought I was pretty good at estimating how many miles a tyre had left in it. I got it very wrong with the Z8 rear.

Take care if you are out and about. The Z8's seem to wear steadily.... Then roar down to zero and then way beyond in very short order. I have one more set of Z8's to use up, then I will be switching to PR3's.

Thanks for the warning.

Looking at other 1600 sites your findings seem pretty much in line with many others. I'll be switching to PR3s when the time comes and clearly need to be very watchful when tread depth reduces on the Z8s.

I went through one set of Z8's in about 5'500 miles, down to 1mm front and back.

I have just hacked a rear in very short order from a 'reasonable amount of tread' available, right down to the carcass in about 5,200 miles.... From tread to beading, in very quick progression. The front is worn out, too.

That is two full sets of Z8's worn out (one tyre dangerously so) in under 11,000 miles. I do very few pure motorway miles, so it's mostly 'spirited' D road stuff in France.

After thirty plus years of motorcycling (including thousands clocked up on a Blackbird, so weight and power was not an unknown subject) I thought I was pretty good at estimating how many miles a tyre had left in it. I got it very wrong with the Z8 rear.

Take care if you are out and about. The Z8's seem to wear steadily.... Then roar down to zero and then way beyond in very short order. I have one more set of Z8's to use up, then I will be switching to PR3's.

But how do you rate the bike otherwise ?

How tall are you and how good is it as long distance compared to other bikes you have owned (RT perhaps ?)

I've got an RT12 but have a hankering for a speedier beast.

The new ZZR14 keeps looming up at me but I think the 1600 would be a better bet in the long run,despite the added price as it looks more suited to 2 up with luggage .

Ta

But how do you rate the bike otherwise ?

How tall are you and how good is it as long distance compared to other bikes you have owned (RT perhaps ?)

I've got an RT12 but have a hankering for a speedier beast.

The new ZZR14 keeps looming up at me but I think the 1600 would be a better bet in the long run,despite the added price as it looks more suited to 2 up with luggage .

Ta

It certainly is a fine looking machine, and after following Richard a couple of weeks ago on a very nice ardennes road it handles luverly too, including bumpy corners.

tyres

it does eat tires, i was surprised how fast the front wore. I am switching from bridgestone to metzlers to see how i get on.
super super bike

I'm getting around 6000miles before the Battlaxes square off, but still >3mm showing.

1600GT - feckin' lovely machine! I'm likely to do around 12,000 miles in the first year and I love it to bits!

It certainly is a fine looking machine, and after following Richard a couple of weeks ago on a very nice ardennes road it handles luverly too, including bumpy corners.

but only goes round left handers, I hear ?

hidesbehindsofa.gif

tires

it does eat tires, i was surprised how fast the front wore. I am switching from bridgestone to metzlers to see how i get on.
super super bike

no metzlers available so I am now shod with Bridgestone Battlax BT023's, (as opposed to the BT021 and BT022? on the bike since i got it.)
Handling wise very happy with them so far but determined to try metzlers next

Thanks for the warning.

Looking at other 1600 sites your findings seem pretty much in line with many others. I'll be switching to PR3s when the time comes and clearly need to be very watchful when tread depth reduces on the Z8s.

I doubt the PR3s will wear well. PR2s are bloody good, cheaper and will wear better than the 3s from what I'm hearing.

What are PR3s?

I doubt the PR3s will wear well. PR2s are bloody good, cheaper and will wear better than the 3s from what I'm hearing.

BMW shop and Bridgestone guys tell me to only use the two approved tyres. Bridgestone bt022/bt021 or the metzeler z8.

Is that wrong info? Will it affect insurance claim if you have an off on non approved tyres?

About to put new tyres on mine.

Any ideas?

BMW shop and Bridgestone guys tell me to only use the two approved tyres. Bridgestone bt022/bt021 or the metzeler z8.

Is that wrong info? Will it affect insurance claim if you have an off on non approved tyres?

About to put new tyres on mine.

Any ideas?

Michelin list both PR3 and PR2s as approved fitments. As long as size, speed rating and load rating are the same as OEM it should be no problem.

Michelin list both PR3 and PR2s as approved fitments.

Not any more they don't. They have emailed me to say:

We would advise that unfortunately, the Michelin Pilot Road 2 or 3 as far as we are aware at this moment in time has not been tested / homologated on the BMW K1600 GT. Therefore, with reference to your e-mail we cannot recommend it as a fitment, sorry.

Although it is not illegal to fit the Michelin Pilot Road 2 or 3 on your motorcycle, it is not to our recommendations.

Have you thought of trying the Metzeler 880 ?

I know the Iron Butt guys use them to save needing a tyre change during the 11-13,000 mile rally.

My mate is also using the Continental sport/tour tyre on his 1200GS and is getting over 20,000 to a pair.

(I know BMW are funny about tyres not listed for the bike though)

Back
Top Bottom