Vignette

stick

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Morning - been reading about the Swiss Vignette , i am doing the French Alps soon and wondered if i need one as i will be doing a loop from Annecy , via Martigny to Bourg St Maurice via The Grand St Bernard Pass.
Some say wont need one as no m-ways but may go thro borders , any advice would be appreciated in case i need to order one.
Thanks

Get one don't peel it off or stick it on anything just keep it the tankbag and sell it on here when you get back :rob
:beerjug:

You only need one for the motorways,but I have been caught out more than once by finding an A road suddenly becomes a motorway without any obvious way of getting off until after the change and then you ride at your own risk.I have never been stopped on a motorway but they always check at border crossings.

Get one don't peel it off or stick it on anything just keep it the tankbag and sell it on here when you get back :rob

You only need one for the motorways,but I have been caught out more than once by finding an A road suddenly becomes a motorway without any obvious way of getting off until after the change and then you ride at your own risk.I have never been stopped on a motorway but they always check at border crossings.

Thanks seem me best get one as not the luckiest abroard :thumb:thumb

From Annecy head to Chamonix via Thones, Col des Aravis and Megeve. From Chamonix go to Martigny over the col de la Forclaz. Martigny to Grand St Bernard. Then Petit St BErnard and Bourg St Maurice. No motorways and no Vignette.

If anyone does get a Vignette smear a thin coating of fairy liquid over the area to be vignetted and you'll find it can be removed painlessly. People along the Swiss border do it to avoid paying for more than one vehicle :augie

Buy one if you are unlucky enough to be stopped. I got stopped on a motorway and plod asked where my vignette is? I just did the blank look and what is a vignette routine. :nenau All that happened was plod explained I should have one and asked me to buy one on the spot, which I did and went on my way.
In fact it was a very nice police lady, she went on to tell me how some people stick them under the seat so the paintwork is not harmed and my lovely bike has no ugly sticker in sight. Then if I should be stopped again I just lift the seat to show I have one. Never bought another one since :augie

Chris.

i dont bother at all with the bike, but they do have controls at motorway services sometimes.

on the car i have one as its easy for plod to see if you have it.

remember its for the motorways only, dont worry if you skip onto 1 for a while either

Morning - been reading about the Swiss Vignette , i am doing the French Alps soon and wondered if i need one as i will be doing a loop from Annecy , via Martigny to Bourg St Maurice via The Grand St Bernard Pass.
Some say wont need one as no m-ways but may go thro borders , any advice would be appreciated in case i need to order one.
Thanks

I've done that loop the last 2 years and no you dont need a vignette as you wont be on any motorways. I'll be there again myself in July

As soon as they buy one to drive on our motorways, I'll buy one to drive on theirs.

As soon as they buy one to drive on our motorways, I'll buy one to drive on theirs.

Switzerland has, like here in Austria, built a motorway network that is often used by vehicles in transit, they have paid no local taxes to fund the road building. In the UK you have built motorways to deal with domestic traffic, and you have paid for it in your taxes. Foreign trucks have business on UK roads they are not just passing through.

In Austria (and Slovenia) you can buy a short term vignette for a reasonable sum. If the Swiss played fair and sold a vignette for a short period there would be no problem. The concept makes sense (and we get much better engineered roads too!) its just the money grabbing B*****ds in one country causing a problem.

John

Probably the dumbest of all the options. The offence of not sticking it permanently to the vehicle is the same as not having one at all.

You think the Swiss police don't know people do that?

Unless you're planning to do a lot of motorway miles then don't bother.

Thanks

:rob
The grand St Bernard pass doesn't open till July, I was there 2 weeks ago and had to go through one expensive tunnel! 14 euro!

:clap

Oh & yes, only need Vignette for Austria Slovenia, think it cost me 7 euros for 10 days!

Vignette prices 2012

:rob

Oh & yes, only need Vignette for Austria Slovenia, think it cost me 7 euros for 10 days!

Bike vignette for Austria costs 4.60 Euro for 10 days, Slovenian one costs 7.50 Euro for one week. If you buy one along the route beware of dummies in the booths-you stand there in bike gear, helmet in hand, and they give you a car one (and charge you for it). Insist on a bike (Motorrad) one.

John

Bike vignette for Austria costs 4.60 Euro for 10 days, Slovenian one costs 7.50 Euro for one week. If you buy one along the route beware of dummies in the booths-you stand there in bike gear, helmet in hand, and they give you a car one (and charge you for it). Insist on a bike (Motorrad) one.

John
Just for motorways right??
:thumb2

Just for motorways right??

Right.....and in Austria there is no requirement to have it stuck on your windshield.

Regulations of ASFINAG (Austrian motorway authority) for the Austrian motorway vignette:
"The holder must only be attached to a fixed component of the vehicle which is difficult to remove with tools."

Louis here in Germany sell a holder http://www.louis.de/_209899bfd0280e650d1b79e72746b0d690/index.php?topic=artnr&artnr=10026077 which must only be mounted on the steering stem of the front wheel/fork. For those passing through Germany on their way to Austria and reluctant to stick a vignette disc on their windshield might want to consider calling into a Louis shop on the run down. There's always the DIY option of course. :D

Short fixing video here http://cdnxl7.louis.de/shop/zusatz/vid/10026024.MPG and although it's in German pictures normally speak a thousand words eh?

Right.....and in Austria there is no requirement to have it stuck on your windshield.

Regulations of ASFINAG (Austrian motorway authority) for the Austrian motorway vignette:
"The holder must only be attached to a fixed component of the vehicle which is difficult to remove with tools."

Louis here in Germany sell a holder http://www.louis.de/_209899bfd0280e650d1b79e72746b0d690/index.php?topic=artnr&artnr=10026077 which must only be mounted on the steering stem of the front wheel/fork. For those passing through Germany on their way to Austria and reluctant to stick a vignette disc on their windshield might want to consider calling into a Louis shop on the run down. There's always the DIY option of course. :D

Short fixing video here http://cdnxl7.louis.de/shop/zusatz/vid/10026024.MPG and although it's in German pictures normally speak a thousand words eh?

Since not all bikes have a "windshield" they can't say anything else. Most people seem to quite like one on the screen as a souvenir anyway. Bikers here with no screen fix them on a fork leg, that where the MOT equivelent sticker goes too.

Wherever you fix it it must be readable by the overhead readers along the autobahn. At 4.60 for 10 days it's not worth the risk of being caught without (min fine is 65 Euro-up to 300 if you have travelled a long way without one). My usual advice is to buy one anyway as people often underestimate the time needed to cover distance on mountain roads. Being able to sprint along the motorway can be the difference between getting there in time for dinner or not. And for most of the time our motorways have little traffic and good views.

John

Agree with the fact that the Austrians play fair on the vignette thing and I have no problem paying up. With the Swiss they are taking the proverbial , a group of mates were down in the Black Forest a few years ago and strayed into Switzerland , got stopped and stuffed for £100 or so each for no vignettes

Agree with the fact that the Austrians play fair on the vignette thing and I have no problem paying up. With the Swiss they are taking the proverbial , a group of mates were down in the Black Forest a few years ago and strayed into Switzerland , got stopped and stuffed for £100 or so each for no vignettes

current cost is 40hf but a 100chf fine if caught without.

there is talk of increasing the cost to 100+ chf instead of 40chf.

they dont reduce the cost for bikes or trailers either.

Back
Top Bottom