V Strom 1000 any good ? Or Varadero 1000 ?

luke scott

Reaction score
If I cant get the GS I want as a second bike how do you rate the V Strom ? I wont be going off road ever. It will be used abroad in a holiday home to tip around on. My problem is that having been on a GS for ten years I find other bikes too small :nenau. Long time ago I had a varadero and really liked it as well. Choices... choices....:friday

Last edited:
v strom

there good but not like a gs ! they are de tuned sports bike engine in a tralie frame can be thirsty but most bikes of this power and speed potential are , they are realiable and have a good owners forum Stromtroopers i think alternative would be the honda varadero fuel injected model is just as good

If I cant get the GS I want as a second bike how do you rate the V Strom ? I wont be going off road ever. It will be used abroad in a holiday home to tip around on. My problem is that having been on a GS for ten years I find other bikes too small :nenau. Long time ago I had a varadero and really liked it as well. Choices... choices....:friday
The V-strom 1000 is a cracking bike and goes like a stabbed rat, BUT in my humble opinion the weak point is the handling caused by the undersprung weak forks on it. A worthwhile upgrade on the Vstrom is stronger fork springs. Somebody will be along soon with an opinion. I can base what I have said on about 5 months of owning a vstrom 1000. Wheelies like a bugger too. Mine did 40-43 MPG in the whole 5 months I had it.

And I have the Varadero 2001 16000 miles bought almost three years ago and now up to a "wapping" 31000, issues, regulator and nowt else. I used to own an 1100 and TBH if you offered me one today in similar condition to my Vara I would probably swap back, but it'd be a close one. I do enjoy the extra power.

On a commute into work here in Belgium 47MPG but back home (next week) more like 43mpg.

I am changing the rear shock in a few weeks and will possible change the springs (100€)

Cracking bike for very little money.

The Honda does it for me, it is a HONDA after all....

Don't let anyone tell you it is boring it will keep up with most things

Thanks Richie. Im now thinking varadero as its going to be a second bike in a holiday location so wont be used every week. I had one before and loved it. And as you point out... its a Honda.

I may have to reluctanly sel my 2000 Vara 1000 shortly as my daughter has been accepted back as a mature student from Spetember, and I'll need to help her with her fees.

It's a 2000 model in gold and silver with tons of extras including a full set of SW Motech ally panniers/topbox and all frames etc.
Touring screen, Scottoiler, a new Hagon rear remote adj shock, new Progressive fork springs, loads of history and bills etc.

Will be going for around £3000 sterling in July (am in plaster for another month so cant ride :mad:)

had one

Caponord
fantastic bike once its be completely re-wired with proper wires not Italiano cheese wire !
mine had so many gremlins ,new dash twice ,new loom ,new ecu,new block connectors, once the warranty had run out i darent keep it !
mikey
Try a capponord better than either vstro or honda jjh

Caponord
fantastic bike once its be completely re-wired with proper wires not Italiano cheese wire !
mine had so many gremlins ,new dash twice ,new loom ,new ecu,new block connectors, once the warranty had run out i darent keep it !
mikey

I did not dare say anything.....

A mate had one here in Ireland but when you stood beside it you could hear the depreciation :D. Also no dealers in Ireland. GS or Varadero it seems.:augie

I had one no trouble in 12 months 15000 miles would have another if the right deal came up jjh

I have 2, the 650 and 1000. The 1000 gives 45 to 50mpg average. Lower 30`s if you ride it like you stole it. Ultra reliable. Very predictable in handling now the existing tyres have been changed. Slightly low for serious offroading but if you do that you probably need another bike anyway. Fantastic lights and comfortable seating for both passanger and rider. You can stretch the tank out to 220 miles if needed. Faster than the 1200GS (if thats your thing) but then again what isnt? 1 major valve check to do at 15,000 miles (easy DIY job if your a spanner shuffler). Servicing is easy and cheaper than just about any other 1000cc bike.
Get one, fit a Scottoiler, forkbrace and better pads and you can ride it forever. The soft forks can be made firmer, but as it is, I more than happy to scrape the pegs with mine. Oh! and did I mention its ultra reliable?

Caponord
mikey

+1 Yep....

Late 1000 V-Stroms are very good and any 650. I had three and rated them all. :thumb

Had a 09 1000 v Strom for a short while good bike but feels light or fragile compared to a gs
Having said that it will tour scratch or do whatever you want and far cheaper to buy and run than a gs

If you are looking for a minter V-Strom i have one for sale in Bikers World Birmingham, white, 10 months old 2,500 miles and £1000 of extras.
They are not thirsty, make good progress (50 MPG), ride like a nun (75 MPH)
the onboard computer always shows MPG around 10 miles less than actual, this is where the bike mags get it wrong.
The finnish on the bike has to be looked after, i used ACF 50 which is great and a goes a long way.
The V -Strom is a well balanced, very quick 650cc and at half the price of a GS I would say it is only 15-20 percent less of a bike

Luke, speak to....

Bobster of this parish has a cracking Varadero which might well be up for sale very shortly. I borrowed it while his mate mended my 1100RT. Its got lots of kit on it included uprated front suspension a Hagon new shock on the back and the loudest horn I have ever heard on a bike. I rode it from Derbyshire to Camberley and then back again. It went like an absolute rocket.was comfortable and handled very well too. when I took it back I was seriously tempted to let him keep my RT and ask him if i could have his varadero. It's gold, not sure what year it is, but I'm pretty certain it has less than 29000 miles on it too. I liked it, I really did...........

By the way, im telling you all this not because im trying to make some money out of it(which I'm NOT),but because I know he wants the dosh for another 1200, AND he's a bloody good egg who bent over backwards to help someone out of a fix, when he could have just said "Sorry mate sold as seen,feck off".

let me know if it floats yer boat or just pm Bobster himself.

HTH, Mark

Back
Top Bottom