G650 Xcountry Front Brake Lever

Norton

Reaction score
Hi
On my Ducati I use two fingers on the brake but when I tried this on my recently acquired 2007 G650X the other two got in the way as the lever comes very close to the bar. I came to the conclusion, via a fluid change, careful bleeding and forum comments that this was normal!

I trawled the www for a solution and a new Brembo part number 981050 adjustable was the answer. This is used on several Moto Guzzis and Aprlilias. I found mine on Ebay for £45 by searching for 981050. I believe Guzzi use this lever but call it 314952L and Aprilia AP8133510 on the Pegaso Strada Trail and Gutsibits call it a BRA81510. Gutsibits had a cheap(er) second hand one but I suspect it had only four settings instead of five!

Cheers

Is it normal :nenau or are your hands shrek like :D I use two fingers to brake on my Xch :thumb2

Must say the Xch has dam fine brakes for its type with a lot of feel making it very easy to play with the bight point when on the loose stuff :JB

Not sure if any off that helps:blagblah

More Baby Shrek than Big Daddy but with armoured gloves they still get in the way. On the road the lever comes in to a couple of centimeters of the bar when trying out the ABS on the Xco!

I agree about the very progressive feel but I am still learning on the loose stuff.

My bike used to do this as well, untill I bled the master cylinder.
There is a small bleed screw actually inside the front brake resivor.
I undid mine and quite a few small bubbles came out. Lever is much firmer now and I can use two fingers without trapping the other two.

Nice find on the adjustable lever:thumb

Thanks Yamfan. I only got a very small bubble out of the master cylinder and I don't think I got any out of the caliper. But I hadn't gone to the trouble of pushing the pistons back all the way so there may be more in there somewhere.

I am a little concerned about the fluid loop to the ABS assembly as when I squeeze the brake quickly I get a little squeak that could be air going through a small hole which appears to come from the junction block by the VIN plate. Maybe pushing the pistons back properly when I change the pads will flush that out.

I just thought I would mention the M/C bleed as I didn't know about it myself untill I looked through the manual after I did the job:eek

MY bike has ABS too -- no squeeks though, perhaps the pipes into the connector block may need to be nipped up?

Something is wrong if the lever is coming back enough to trap your finges - my one does not do this.

Let us know how you get on:thumb2

Back
Top Bottom