Clutch replacement - a simple question...

Speckled Jim

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
...for someone who's familiar with a complete clutch replacement kit.

I'm in the process of replacing the clutch in my '95 1100GS. It's all stripped out, the friction plate is toasted and there's heat marks and some scoring on the driven plates so I'm going to replace the whole lot rather than just the friction plate. Here's the question...

In the Haynes manual it mentions some paint marks that need to be spaced at 120 degrees. The mark is clearly visible on the flywheel. When you buy the complete clutch kit, are the other two marks already marked on the relevant pieces?

Thanks,

Jim

Mine were marked and I spaced them as evenly as possible... the three plates/thingies... but I wouldn't get too hung up about it.

Its probably more important to get them centred... I used an extender bar (from a ratchet set) with a socket stuck on the end... then electrical tape to make up the desired radius to fit tight inside the centre hole where the shaft splines would be. That let me hold it centralised while I loosely tightened the new bolts. THe bike goes together much quicker than it came apart... well for me anyway... after the clutch was in it was about an hour and a half until I was driving it.

Mine were marked and I spaced them as evenly as possible... the three plates/thingies... but I wouldn't get too hung up about it.

They show the heaviest part of each component spacing them equally ensures the best ballance of the complete assembley.Your gearbox input bearing and splines will thank you by giving a good service life. :thumb2

They show the heaviest part of each component spacing them equally ensures the best ballance of the complete assembley.Your gearbox input bearing and splines will thank you by giving a good service life. :thumb2

May very well do... have you tried to space them perfectly??? As i said... space as evenly as possible but not a big concern... I think one of mine was out by 15 degs or so... nothing that I could do differently! If in doubt... ask a trusted independent... a dealer will usually tell you anything to get the work!

May very well do... have you tried to space them perfectly??? As i said... space as evenly as possible but not a big concern... I think one of mine was out by 15 degs or so... nothing that I could do differently! If in doubt... ask a trusted independent... a dealer will usually tell you anything to get the work!

Yes I have replaced my clutch. You are correct:thumb2, but I did not say perfectly, I said evenly, and I should have said 'as evenly as possible', the reason for the marks, are as I said.:thumb2

Back
Top Bottom