Low rider front end improvement

iandavid

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Just had both front forks replaced by Harley Japan under warranty as they had started to corrode at the top of the lower leg where the chrome cap sits. I had already upgraded the rear with progressive shocks but the front was still much to soft and spongy. Asked dealer about uprated springs and he said just change the fork oil to HD heavy duty. So they did this as part of the rebuild and the difference in the front end damping is significant. The front end has been stiffened up considerably. It is not spongy anymore and the dive under breaking is greatly reduced.

Definitely worth trying out this simple mod before spending lots of cash on the front end.

Paul Gardner

Fork Oil

Hi Paul

is this H Duty oil a harley product or do you know the oil spec please and thanks.

It was HD oil. The dealer had 3 types, normal, medium and heavy. I went for heavy. However the labelling may well be different out here in Japan. Looking on the web I think the Japanese Heavy may be the same as the US Screaming Eagle oil. Best to pop into your local stealer and check it out. Sorry I can't be of more help with the specs. Anyway transformed the front end. I've got progressive 440's on the rear and it handles much better now, especially up in the mountains of Japan. Really surprised me in what it can cope with. Not the same as my GS in the UK but it's a much better bike for cruising around the countryside here in Japan.

Paul Gardner

You can buy Progressive fork springs which also drop straight in. A really good VFM improvement and you can lower the front end at the same time if you want :thumb

Back
Top Bottom