Commuting on an RT

Fomb

Reaction score
So, what's the RT like commuting all year round? To give you an idea, I ride 50 miles a day on fast single carriageway A-Roads, with a bit of town at one end (Guildford Town Centre).

I only work four miles from home, so by the time I've unchained the bike, got it out of the garage and put my bike gear on, I could have already been at work :0}

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I work 15 miles from home. Makes no difference in the morning but gives me the change to slip in and out of traffic on the way home. :augie

Mark

The RT is a tarmac eater, point it at tarmac and it will just go and go, fast A road and Motorway are its home. In slow urban traffic it is not at home at all.

25 miles each way, I'd say serious overkill looking at an RT, what else will you do? It'll take you and yours fully loaded across from one side to the other and 2-300 mile days at 80+ MPH are its happy place.

I'd not bother with much more than a scoot for that mileage. But if their's lots of slow traffic then 650/800GS :nenau

The RT is a tarmac eater, point it at tarmac and it will just go and go, fast A road and Motorway are its home. In slow urban traffic it is not at home at all.

25 miles each way, I'd say serious overkill looking at an RT, what else will you do? It'll take you and yours fully loaded across from one side to the other and 2-300 mile days at 80+ MPH are its happy place.

I'd not bother with much more than a scoot for that mileage. But if their's lots of slow traffic then 650/800GS :nenau

Fair points - the problems I have is that I have limited budget (around 2.5K) and I'm freakishly tall, and can't get on with most bikes. Ideally I'd get a GS, but just can't find anything I can afford.

Out of town, traffic is sitting at 60 plus, and that's 90% of the journey (grunt required for overtaking!). The rest is typical town work.

From what I’ve read ion here and the people I know with the RT they are an easy bike to ride with no problems even on the short rides, just get it and use it

I agree with Degsey .. commute from Sussex and Guildford ( Merrow ) into Central London and when I get there I ride an RT round town all day .... give it some wellington on the big roads or tip and turn your way around T Square and Pall Mall ... it matters not, it's a decent all round bike and you wont have any problems on it at all.

I think you might find an 1100RT for 2.5k, if I was looking for a bike to do a 100 mile commute each day with your money, that’s what I’d be looking for.

And I’d rather have the 1100RT over the 1150, not least because I never was that keen on the smiley face, the potentially dodgy gearbox input spline issue and the perhaps unnecessary twin spark fitted to later models…

Mind you, if you are a monster, you really need an 1100GS don’t you…

P.S. the above really is good advice, especially the line above

P.P.S. Firefox 13 has a spell checker built in! :thumb2

Good luck mate

I think you might find an 1100RT for 2.5k, if I was looking for a bike to do a 100 mile commute each day with your money, that’s what I’d be looking for.

And I’d rather have the 1100RT over the 1150, not least because I never was that keen on the smiley face, the potentially dodgy gearbox input spline issue and the perhaps unnecessary twin spark fitted to later models…

Mind you, if you are a monster, you really need an 1100GS don’t you…

P.S. the above really is good advice, especially the line above

P.P.S. Firefox 13 has a spell checker built in! :thumb2

Good luck mate

I've seen a couple of decent looking R1100RT's for around 2K, and sat on one in a dealers. Bike was comfortable as it could be in a showroom. Might be time to go looking…

Fair points - the problems I have is that I have limited budget (around 2.5K) and I'm freakishly tall, and can't get on with most bikes.QUOTE]

Just gone from an F800GS to an RT - am 6ft4 - don't know whether that counts as 'freakish' but I have had loads of difficulty finding a comfortable bike. On my RT I've added footpeg lowering kit and bar risers and its fine for me.

On the commuting issue - the RT will not fit into some of the gaps that the F800GS would - big surprise! If you're bothered about width either remove the panniers for commuting and use a top box or look for a 'P' (ex police/authority) version which has narrower panniers.

It's much better on the open road (especially when its persisting down) than the F800GS.

And whatever it is - its way better than car! :D

Just my 2p! :beerjug:

I have a RT and a Transalp for communting. The TS is as roomy as the RT, just doesn't have the weather protection. With a K&N and open pipe, the little 650 has some grunt (not mega loads), but ok for overtakes. Also look at a V Strom 1000, roomy and grunty and a great fun commuter.

No idea what commuting on an RT is like, but I used to commute on my RS. I had no real problems with it, ok some of the gaps you're not going to fit through - so just let the 125's go for them. That said, out on the A-roads/M-ways it was great, just ate the miles up..

BTW, my RS is currently for sale ;)

Also look at a V Strom 1000, roomy and grunty and a great fun commuter.

I used to have one of these, and for distance stuff it was great, however, in town it fell apart a bit - the clutch was a horrible heavy rattly thing, the low speed on the engine was really rough, and it was a bit top heavy for slow work.

Out of town it was a completely different case…

I have used 1150RT for commuting before getting a GS.

RT has best weather prtection and comfort. Width issue applies to both in slow traffic.

Not as fast as a Jap multi (FJ1200 before these) but a better licence keeper :thumb2

Used to commute on an 1150 RT... the best bike for riding in bad weather bar none. But around town the GS is a better bet. More nimble and easier to place on the road. Also the panniers on a RT are huge and limit your ability to filter. It's a top box or bags strapped on the pillion. The GS is also a bit more roomy - I'm 6'4"...

ETA £2.5k will get you on a 1100GS if you look hard enough...

I have a RT and a Transalp for communting. The TS is as roomy as the RT, just doesn't have the weather protection. With a K&N and open pipe, the little 650 has some grunt (not mega loads), but ok for overtakes. Also look at a V Strom 1000, roomy and grunty and a great fun commuter.[/QUOTE Stonehenge,]Fomb ,you might also want to look at a Honda Varadero as well. Goes very well, and slim enough to get through most traffic gaps.Mind you the one I'm riding at the moment has air horns on it, and it parts the traffic wonderfully, cos they are SOOOO LOUD!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. I THINK they are air horns,it matters not what they are they are still extremely effective at warning of my presence....

GS to RT

I swapped from an F800GS to an R1200RT.
I have a 20 mile each-way trip each day into the centre of Manchester. About 6-7 miles of it is motorway, the rest is filtering on A roads and city centre.

I only swapped to the RT as my wife informed me we were moving, and I'd have a 100 mile daily commute. I swapped bikes; we didn't move.

The 800GS was the best commuter ever! Punchy acceleration, fitted through any gap, decent brakes. Not too hot in summer either. Nice and high so you can see over all cars.
The RT is OK. You can't make the smaller gaps, and it doesn't like crawling along on & off the clutch. BUT in January when the rain is sideways, it rules. However on days when I am on split bases, and have to go perhaps 100 miles between commitments, it is a dream.

Aran

PS I'd love a little GS for summer commuting, if I could keep the RT for long days and holidays. And I'd like a pony, and world peace, and..... :blagblah

Back
Top Bottom