To the Top of Mount Evans

sfarson

Reaction score
FWIW, a quick tale from Colorado. A few days ago five of us connected for an ascent of the highest paved road in North America - the scenic byway to the top of Mount Evans at 14,265ft. Actually the parking area is about 100ft. below the summit (It's kinda skinny up there!), but at a ride elevation of 14,165ft. it is still about 50ft. higher than Pikes Peak at 14,114ft. where the road does go all the way to the broad summit. Here's a vid and a selection of pics from the ride.

A 5:45 highlight video of the ride to the top as I follow the other four... http://youtu.be/dpLohf6AFLY

Here's the 9:30a gathering. Sweet bikes...
morrison.jpg

A ride up Bear Creek Canyon with minimal traffic, then through Evergreen, then the scenic byway commences. Ahhhh... the pause at Juniper Pass along the way...
juniper.jpg

OK, six clips from the video as the ascent is made...
evansvid1.jpg

evansvid2.jpg

evansvid3.jpg

The sky darkens as air is thinned. The pause at Summit Lake...
evansvid4.jpg

evansvid5.jpg

evansvid6.jpg

At the summit...
evansbikes.jpg

Also at the summit, take a look at this trailer...
evanstrike.jpg

I'm wondering why Rick is standing on the table...
evansrickbruce.jpg

Ahhh, I see now. A bighorn sheep...
evansbighorn.jpg

Oh, last January, winds in the 120-140mph range blasted the University of Denver Observatory at the summit. It is (or was) the third highest optical/infrared astronomical observatory in the world...
evansresearch.jpg

So after the ascent/descent of Mount Evans we take twisting back roads to the famed Bucksnort Saloon in Sphinx Park...
bucksnort1.jpg

Alas, parking in the front taken, so it's to the parking area below...
bucksnort2.jpg

A great day of riding.

You are sooo lucky having access to those roads...:thumb2

So the road to the summit is open again. Three of us were up there in the first week in September last year and it was closed. This is the highest we could get which, I believe, is at about 13,000 feet.

318434_1994722230214_73942654_n.jpg

Gracious thoughts all. Schtum... Yes, Mt. Evans has a policy of shutting down access all the way to the summit after Labor Day (1st Monday in September). There is fear a snow storm, if not blizzard could rake the summit area unexpectedly and quickly, with unprepared travelers up there. But Pikes Peak about 100 miles away is open year round weather permitting. I left a report here on a November ascent, and I think what helps is access to the Visitor's Center at the top. No such thing at the Mt. Evans summit.

It looks cold on the ride up. That hard bone chilling coldness. :thumb2

Mount Evans

Brings back happy memories of 2001, bloody cold at the top!, stopped at the caff halfway up and one mr harper said "seen the humming birds"!, I thought the old farts pissed, but looked out of the window and sure enough there were drinking (in flight) from a drink dispenser like use for chickens filled with sugary water. I was amazed I thought they were tropical birds but there they were. Long way down on the way back down though, plenty of time to say your prayers on the way down (vertically!). Anyone in Colarado don't miss a trip up the mountain well worth it.
I was on the faithfull 1150 waving the flag as we all were.
Dave GS

Back
Top Bottom