RT wanted

Status
Not open for further replies.

The smudger

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
OK, am looking out for an R1100RT, the Harley is great but I miss the BMW so been doing a lot of thinking lately and decided to try and pick up an RT.

I would prefer one that needs work, don't care how much so long as the price reflects...

Ideally would like one of the silver green ones (not sure what the correct colour is)

What ya got?

Also posted in FS&W section.

Glacier Green

Check the state of the base gaskets and all six exhaust studs.

If its it`s weeping oil then you`ve got a reason to start knocking off lots of money.

Find out if the clutch has been replaced.

Great bikes, been riding one for years

Good choice !

Hi If your looking at 1100rt's your always going to need to factor in the normal repairs for a bike that is up to 16 years old, unless you can find one that has had recent work done, For a starting budget of £1500 even if you needed to spend a grand over the next couple of years on upgades and repairs, you will still have a touring bike to last for some time (10 year? ) for say £2500

Gearbox, ... It has the early gearbox which if not already overhauled should be factored into its running costs in the future if you are buying the bike for long term ownership, If it hasn't had a clutch it will need one in future as well, These 2 jobs done by yourself (With someone like Scriminger Engineering actually overhauling / upgrading the the gearbox) will run you about £600 if you remove the box and change the clutch your self (I've done just that to mine recently) add another £400 if you get an independent to to it.

Brakes, can get expensive if disks are worn, and / or rubber hoses are disintegrating, A new set of Stainless Brake pipes will cost about £130, pads front £70, Front disks £200, Rear disk £90 rear pads £35, ABS problems could cost a lot to sort back to original, but if mine were to fail I would most likely remove the system for no cost.

The engine if well looked after is very long lived and the mileage would not be a factor

I value my 1999 model (V) R1100RT with new SS brake lines, pads, fresh overhauled gearbox, new complete clutch, recent final drive (All receipted) 42000 miles and cosmetically nice at "Over" £3K not that I want to sell.

Is this the color you mean, if so its called Tundra Green

BMW R1100RT by BMrider2012, on Flickr

Lind at Norwich have a nice low milage one for sale (21K) for a mere £4999 :D

http://www.lindmotorrad.co.uk/appro...olnDealerID=32537&currentCh=WB10413A4XZD23083

Good choice !

Hi If your looking at 1100rt's your always going to need to factor in the normal repairs for a bike that is up to 16 years old, unless you can find one that has had recent work done, For a starting budget of £1500 even if you needed to spend a grand over the next couple of years on upgades and repairs, you will still have a touring bike to last for some time (10 year? ) for say £2500

Gearbox, ... It has the early gearbox which if not already overhauled should be factored into its running costs in the future if you are buying the bike for long term ownership, If it hasn't had a clutch it will need one in future as well, These 2 jobs done by yourself (With someone like Scriminger Engineering actually overhauling / upgrading the the gearbox) will run you about £600 if you remove the box and change the clutch your self (I've done just that to mine recently) add another £400 if you get an independent to to it.

Brakes, can get expensive if disks are worn, and / or rubber hoses are disintegrating, A new set of Stainless Brake pipes will cost about £130, pads front £70, Front disks £200, Rear disk £90 rear pads £35, ABS problems could cost a lot to sort back to original, but if mine were to fail I would most likely remove the system for no cost.

The engine if well looked after is very long lived and the mileage would not be a factor

I value my 1999 model (V) R1100RT with new SS brake lines, pads, fresh overhauled gearbox, new complete clutch, recent final drive (All receipted) 42000 miles and cosmetically nice at "Over" £3K not that I want to sell.

Is this the color you mean, if so its called Tundra Green

BMW R1100RT by BMrider2012, on Flickr

Lind at Norwich have a nice low milage one for sale (21K) for a mere £4999 :D

http://www.lindmotorrad.co.uk/appro...olnDealerID=32537&currentCh=WB10413A4XZD23083

Many thanks for the tips!

There is a French one for sale on Ebay at the moment, 100k mls, no bids 3 days to go at 1200 quid. No panniers but it has a few things going for it. Also a red one in Kent at 1850, looks sort of OK but i'd sooner buy one that needs a bit doing. I looked at the one at Lind, they have a real nice specimen there, but 5k!!!! I think not.......

Your one looks fantastic BTW, have you ridden a 1200RT? if so how would you compare it? I did have a 1200 but sold it to fund the Harley...:rolleyes:

I had a R1200RT from new (05) for five years, but got made redundant and sold it to fund a car (Company wheels went back)

Liked the 1200, it was lighter, carried 2 helmets in topbox, economical 50mpg, handled sharper, slightly quieter at cruise, had cruise control, had a bigger range, was maintainable once out of warranty, nothing went wrong except for a cracked rear disc carrier and a timing chest repaint, all sorted by me.

I had a R1100rt before the 1200 (Same tundra green colour) so this is my 2nd one

I like the 1100rt because its cheaper, maintainable, more comfy on the cruise, softer ride, performance is down on the 1200, but it doesn't matter, will still cruise all day at 90, might try a taller screen this year, I enjoy working on the bike as much as riding and this has provided hours of fun in the workshop, but its well sorted now :D

The French one one ebay looks ok for £1200, but will need a lot of work by the look of it, I would be sorting the mismatched paint getting panniers, cosmetically restoring it, its probably 100 Kilometres (60Kmiles), probably wants brake lines, paralever bearings swing-arm bearings, Gearbox attention, although you think the clutch is ok without a recipt for work done I would factor it in, would'nt pay more than £1200, in fact I would'nt pay more than a grand, try a cheeky offer :)

The red one looks nice, its a classified add, you dont need to pay the asking price nip round with 1600 and you might be lucky, its a buyers market out there :thumb

I was going to wait until the french bike ends then make a cheeky offer...

I know the guy, he trades under BidforBikes. Based in Ealing, west London. He's a decent chap. I bought a K1200S from him in 2009, a 2006 bike for £4995, it was a steal.

I swapped it (in fear for my liscence:eek:) for an R1150GSA + £500, kept the GSA for 2 yrs then sold it for £4800 so did well all in all.

I would have to factor in the price of a headlamp as well, so based on that, the paint, the fact its an import and the missing panniers i valued it at about £800.

Although you watch some silly beggar bid £2000 for it, you know what ebays like!!!

As for the red one, it looks like the more sensible one to go for, but just not my colour!!!

Cheers,

What sort of mileage to the clutches tend to need doing at? Having a look on eBay those mileages are both kinda high (for a bike, not a BMW), so would the clutch need doing soon? What's a good way to check?

Go to www.donedeal.ie and click on motorbikes. Then select BMW, then select RT. There is one for sale with 3,500 miles only on it. Seller wants €4,500 euro but with sterling V Euro and some haggling it could be worth your while. :aidan:aidan

Got one

Collect it next weekend.

1996 R1100RT Sienna red (not my first choice of colour)

116,000 mls :)eek:)

Engine sounded as sweet as a nut. Its a bit 'scabby' here & there but nothing that puts me off. The main thing is it's all up together, running, had a new clutch 10k mls ago & a new rear disc.

Looking forward to getting it here and stripping it. I know, sad isnt it!

:D:D

Here are a few pictures

Attachments

• 130131629.jpg
    130131629.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 232
  • 130131773.jpg
    130131773.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 237
  • 130131804.jpg
    130131804.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 221
  • 130131851.jpg
    130131851.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 243
Well,

The setback, re the bike would not start, has gone from bad to worse.

Spoke to the guy tonight and he had the bike fixed (Hall sensor plate) so it now starts. He rode it home and it jumps out of 3rd gear......:blast

It was a cheap enough bike but he wont re-negotiate as i think its worth less now (obviously) that I know the gearbox has an issue...

So, back on the lookout for an RT1100........:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

he wont re-negotiate as i think its worth less now (obviously) that I know the gearbox has an issue...

So, back on the lookout for an RT1100........:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Well, that's up to him, at least you know of the gearbox problem, I'd look elsewhere too.

I test drove one in NI last week - 1996 , red , 44K miles , drove well enough for me to make him an offer ... which he did not accept ... he really wanted his £1900 !!
It MAY ... still be available - search gumtree Belfast, find advert and ask him !!
I picked up a high mileage 1200 RT yesterday in UK mainland , and am very impressed so far (even thou it's "manky" !!) ... 56mpg vs my GS's 45 !!

:beerjug:

Advert gone - guess might be sold ?? PM if you want me to try and find his number off my mobile to ask direct - might still be there (bike and number !!)
cheers

Just popped back up on Gumtree with different seller and £100 more on asking price !!
Why would you buy a bike and sell it within about two weeks or less - what has he found ????

OK,

Bought one (again!), put a deposit down, will collect in a few weeks time as were away next week for a fortnight :)D:D).

It's the colour I wanted as well. Many thanks to a special chap who looked over it for me, you know who you are :)thumb), big beer owed there!

Here are a couple of pics. Its done 36,000 genuine mls, FBMWSH, usual extras etc...

Can anyone suggest/recommend a company to deliver it from Glasgow to Wiltshire??

Steve.

Attachments

• BMW RT 009.jpg
    BMW RT 009.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 85
  • BMW RT 010.jpg
    BMW RT 010.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 91
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom