Anyone with "Soldiers died ..." or Ancestry access?

Posh Pete

Still got a pulse.
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I am about to lead a school visit to the battlefields. One of the participants has obtained the following info about a relative. I wonder if anyone who has access to "Soldiers Died ..." or to Ancestry records can help with any further info?

An interesting one given the man's age and the fact that, as a farrier, one might imagine that much of his work would have been done well behind the lines?

Also very topical , giventhe publicity over "War Horse".

LOVIE, J W

Farrier Corporal
Service No:
TS/7933
Date of Death:
16/12/1915
Regiment/Service:
Army Service Corps
290th Coy.
Grave Reference
West side.
Cemetery
HENU CHURCHYARD

Additional Information:

Son of the late George and Mary Wallace Lovie, of Mill of Aden, Old Deer, Aberdeenshire; husband of Maggy Ann Lovie, of 321, Great Northern Rd., Woodside, Aberdeen.

The CWGC site shows that Henu is in Pas de Calais with only 17 graves of servicemen.
Forces-war-records.com gives no more information than you provide bar

James Wallace LOVIE enlisted at Elgin.
He was posted to France on 30th July 1915 and was due the 1914/15 Star.

I'll keep digging

According to Ancestry.co.uk

The 1901 census (not been given permission by the General Register Office to scan the doscuments, and the 1901 is the most recet document availble that has been transcribed by hand! Good old Mormons :thumb)

Parish of Fetteresso, address the Smithy, Rothnick.
James Lovie was the head of the family, wife Maggie, 4 kids Maggie A 10yrs, Mary 8 yrs, James 6 yrs and Joseph W 2 yrs.

Hope this helps because apart from that I can't get any further. :thumb

A bit more:

1881 census: He was a journeyman blacksmith at Brdge Street smithy in the parish of Strichen, Abderdeenshire.
1891 census. He's now married Maggie and has baby Maggie. He's got his own smithy at Brae Cottage, Leochel Cushnie

Attachments

• lovie jw small.jpg
    lovie jw small.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 122
Ha, beat us to it.
I was just about to post that:D

Farriers were required at the front to keep the huge amount of horses shod and ready for service. We tend to forget that mechanised warfare was still in its infancy in the Great War :thumb

Fantastic. Thank you. Why on earth would a man of that age, with those responsibilities have joined up? Could he have been a Territorial? Any way of checking from his service number?

Fantastic. Thank you. Why on earth would a man of that age, with those responsibilities have joined up? Could he have been a Territorial? Any way of checking from his service number?

It could have been that he had already served in the Boer War and was recalled.

Boer War 1899-1902 - Soldier details

Name: LOVIE, J
Soldier number: 7005
Unit: 1 Battalion The Gordon Highlanders

Mother's surname and his age is slightly out but people did lie about details for many reasons back then, so this may also be him:)

WO97-5365-103-001-LOVIEJAMES-XL.jpg

I'm unsure if the road name of D6 is still current so will need checking if you are planning to visit there.

Henu is a small village in the Pas-de-Calais.
Follow the Arras to Doullens road.
Henu is to the south on the D6.
Follow the signs for Pas-en-Artois, and Henu is the next village to the east of Pas-en-Artois.
The churchyard is next to the church and the Commonwealth War Graves will be found next to the French Military Graves on the right hand side of the churchyard.

Where did you find that please Timolgra?

Ta :thumb

My bitc.... er assistant found it.:D

I'll find out how but off to watch John McGuiness on the telly then TT coverage now:beerjug:

itv4 btw:thumb

Given that he was at possibly at 2 wars, he was "lucky" to die of heart disease. :eek

Thanks to all for the help. I think the Boer War Lovie is unlikely to be our man given the 20 year discrepancy in the age. Almost certainly a relative though given the name and the same trade.

Having a heart problem, it's amazing the elder James survived to the age of 56 given the strenuous work a farrier has to do.

As always, this kind of research raises more questions than answers!

Thanks again though.

Back
Top Bottom