Suspension Sag

Rasher

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Had a quick measure of the Sag on the Tenere yesterday.

If you take the stock setting for pre-load to be "2" as it is two lines down, I measured this position through to "4" - two lines stiffer.

So far I have found it is much better steering with an extra line of pre-load wound on, and still rides bumps OK, it also helps ut the ground clearance significantly.

The spring is not particularly hard and for two-up is probably a bit undersprung so I will be buying a Wilburs with stiffer spring before any long two-u tours.

Below is the sag as me and my mate measured them:-

Setting 2 (std)

Static Sag = 33mm
Rider Sag = 65mm

Setting 3

Static Sag = 29mm
Rider Sag = 58mm

Setting 4

Static Sag = 25mm
Rider Sag = 53mm

I also checked clearance under the wheel which is over 25mm, which means it is easy enough to add 10mm of ride height (using a shock with ride-height adjustment) and still be able to use the centre stand easily.

It looks as if 1mm on the shock height = about 2mm on the ride height so just adding 3-5mm to shock length should be about right, but I will seek the advice of MCT when getting the shock fitted.

I also had a quick look at the front and measured 33mm static sag and 40mm rider sag on stock settings, a cable tie on the fork leg also reveals I have loads of travel left under my normal riding conditions solo - will see what happens two-up next time we go out together.

Now running 3 lines for solo all the time, definately better for steering and ground clearance.

For two-up I have found it needs to be almost flat-out, I also wind damping adjuster in 3 clicks for two-up.

Like the GS the spring is definately a bit soft for two-up so will be going for a stiffer spring on the Wilburs.

If the Yamaha shock had seperate rebound and compression adjustment I would have considered a re-spring / re-oil / re-gas of the OE shock first.

Not sure about the forks, after 12,000 miles on the GS I am sill trying to adjust back to a front end that dives on the brakes, I am sure it rides bumps a shade better than the GS but I definately miss the tele-lever whenever I have to stop quick.

Back
Top Bottom