Wanted: tyre fitter between Bourg-en-Bresse and Chamonix

muppix

Reaction score
Morning All!

I'm off for a spot of trail riding in the Ligurian Sea Alps at the end of August and will be buying a pair of K60 Scouts, but am loath to fit them only to do 400 miles of motorway the next day. Since there's a fair bit of life left in my Tourances I may as well leave those on for the autoroute and take the Heidies with me, fitting them once I get to the interesting part of the trip.

Now I know I could probably wander about in the larger towns and find a moto garage to do the job, or try asking a local biker, but holiday time's short and if this is one thing I can sort out in advance then I'd be mad not to try it. So, can anybody recommend a garage able / willing to fit bike tyres? End-of-day will be Chamonix so anywhere around that neck of the woods would be good.

Cheers!
M.

I would look in Annecy or Geneva, neither of which are miles away.

Google Concessionnaires Motos Annecy or Concessionnaires Motos geneva

Both are reasonable sized towns / small cities, so will have bike dealerships / tyre fitters.

Aah, thanks - it was the lack of 'concessionaires' which made my own efforts thusfar fruitless. Having checked my timing I now see it's pointless looking in that region anyway as I'll be there on a Sunday - d'oh!

Thankfully scrolling Google Maps to the following day's route and searching simply for 'concessionaires moto' has given me a few results, even if none show a website or email. Time to make an arse of myself the old fashioned way and phone around.

Good plan to get this set up in advance, especially in August when many of these businesses will close.

Get a quote up front - main dealers in particular don't like customers bringing their own rubber and charge accordingly. I've paid €30 per wheel at a Yamaha concessionaire.

If find the local one man band outfits are the cheapest, but if they are mainly car tyre titters they may not be able to do the balancing for both ends.

Don't expect to be able to set it up by email - hardly any businesses in France will respond to an email.

Stolzy is dead right. The fax is alive and well in France.

You do not go until August, which is plenty of time. But time is everything in France, particularly in August. If you are pre-ordering the tyres (something I have done) it is useful to give the shop plenty of notice. France loves its Michelin tyres, a request for anything else sometimes being greeted by a Gallic shrug. Don't forget also that lots of 'motor' type shops are sometimes shut on Saturday afternoon and as a reasonably safe rule definitely on Monday morning, too.

But, that is just the negatives. The whole of France buys tyres and petrol and just about anything else. If they can do it, anyone can.

MotoZone 74 Sallanches

These guys are good. Just 15km before Cham' so ideal for you. If not Sallaches Motos or Stand 74. All within 10 mins of one another.

Thanks for all the replies, very much appreciated. MotoZone 74 came up a lot in my searches too but then so did a couple of others. Having somebody else recommend them makes a difference.

I used the online contact form for Sallanches Motos previous to starting this thread but I think Wapping's right - France hasn't upgraded to bi-directional email yet. Will certainly let you know how it pans out!

Baby's got new boots!

Got lucky after finding the place I'd pinned my hopes on closed for the weekend. Funny how the smallest triumph can make your day. :beerjug:

2012-08-25-at-15-39-17-P1010274.jpg

Blog plug follows. :aidan

http://www.muppix.net/bourg-en-bresse/

Back
Top Bottom