Which sat nav do I buy for my 2012 RT1200

raydavies66@hotmail.com

Reaction score
I need to buy a sat nav for my new RT and I have been quoted over a £1000 for the BMW Standard fit.
As you guys are more knowledgable than myself I wonder can you advise me please from your experience I would appreciate your comments and possibly any that you are selling for this bike
Many Thanks
Ray Davies

Whatever you buy don't go anywhere near a Garmin.
Depending on what year RT you've got I'd say get a Tom Tom & nothing else.

Not really in a position to recommend any particular gps as I've only used Garmin.

If you find yourself considering the Garmin option I currently have a genuine BMW bracket up for grabs £30 plus P & P - ( same as this one if link works ok http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GPS-MOUNT...69?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item4aa8b0a759)

Obviously originally intended for the BMW Navigator but carried my Zumo 660 ok on the standard Garmin mount, don't know if suitable for Tom Tom etc.

Cheers

Alan

I've got the Garmin Zumo 660 and it works pretty well overall. Things I don't like about it are:

1. Slow redraw at complex junctions (like some roundabouts in France) meaning that you can occasionally end up taking the wrong turn. I've tried simplifying the level of detail, but the redraw is still slow. However, for 95% of the average trip, it's fine.

2. Some wierd routing on occasion which is counter-intuitive. No problem if you've checked out the route beforehand and are just using the satnav as a backup, but I've been up many a minor road/track in France that I would rather have avoided in favour of the more logical (and better maintained) route. I'm just not adventurous enough, I guess :D

3. Being told you have arrived at your destination when you clearly haven't. The most laughable/disturbing occurrence of this happened in the US: I had apparently arrived at my destination (a motel) when all around me was desert :rolleyes:

These problems aren't enough for me to buy a different satnav, however.

I use Tom Tom at work.
Have spent my own money on a Garmin 660.
I love it. Is it perfect ? No.
Is it good ? yes.
If you look at the GPS forums on this site you'll get a flavour for it.

Garmin has its problems but still would buy the Garmin 660 - it works for me even though I have had a few problems most were down to user!

Whatever you buy don't go anywhere near a Garmin.
Depending on what year RT you've got I'd say get a Tom Tom & nothing else.

It's a personal thing, Garmin for me every time over TomTom. I handle both here on a daily basis. We have proportionately many more failures with Tom Tom, usually the mounts. I have yet to found a way to tranfer muliple routes to a Tom Tom-easy on Garmin. No doubt someone will tell me if there is a way :augie ( I use Tyre to create and tranfer routes-sadly this uses Google maps which are just plain wrong in several places around here)

John

It's a personal thing, Garmin for me every time over TomTom. I handle both here on a daily basis. We have proportionately many more failures with Tom Tom, usually the mounts. I have yet to found a way to tranfer muliple routes to a Tom Tom-easy on Garmin. No doubt someone will tell me if there is a way :augie ( I use Tyre to create and tranfer routes-sadly this uses Google maps which are just plain wrong in several places around here)

John

Microsoft Autoroute + itn converter :thumb2

The Tomtom comes up with logical routes, Garmin's come up with very strange routes at times (and I have both) :augie

I need to buy a sat nav for my new RT and I have been quoted over a £1000 for the BMW Standard fit.
As you guys are more knowledgable than myself I wonder can you advise me please from your experience I would appreciate your comments and possibly any that you are selling for this bike
Many Thanks
Ray Davies
What do you want it for, are you going to be use it to pre-plan 2 week trips for example or just putting in an address and asking it to direct you there. Different tools for different jobs. Definitely do not buy the bmw one, it's a garmin with abmw database installed and you pay through the nose for it.

Garmin( nav iv )

Ray Davies[/QUOTE]

I have just bought a new bike ( K1600 GT ) as you are,so why not use your buying power with the new machine to get a good deal on the Nav iv.It worked with my dealer and it didn`t cost me anywhere near list price.Having used it to France ,Spain and Portugal I have no problems or complaints and find it better overall than my Zumo 550.
And where did the costing of £1000 come from,that appears OTT, I`ve paid less than that for the Nav iv and two BMW bluetooth helmet sets , and they fitted the helmets.

Shinyface :D

Many Thanks
Ray Davies

Just be aware the BMW satnav for the Rt1200 is simply a rebadged garmin zumo 660 so makes much better financial sense to get one of them at less than 1/2 the price. I have the 660 on my rt and it works well.

As for garmin v's tomTom that battle has been, and will continue, to go for some time. However the key advantage of the garmin is the native support to upload routes from a pc to the gps using the garmin software (I appreciate there are workrounds for other makes but not quite the same if you ask me.)

Peter

I went with a Garmin 660 and a Migsel mount. I'll agree that the Garmin does have the occasional bizarre route moment but it's ok 99% of the time and it always gets me where I want to go.

Sat Nav Quote from the dealer

Ray Davies

I have just bought a new bike ( K1600 GT ) as you are,so why not use your buying power with the new machine to get a good deal on the Nav iv.It worked with my dealer and it didn`t cost me anywhere near list price.Having used it to France ,Spain and Portugal I have no problems or complaints and find it better overall than my Zumo 550.
And where did the costing of £1000 come from,that appears OTT, I`ve paid less than that for the Nav iv and two BMW bluetooth helmet sets , and they fitted the helmets.

Shinyface :D[/QUOTE]

The quote that I had was over a £1000 and it was an option when i bought the bike. As I had already over stretched my self to buy the RT I wasnt in a position to pay the extra for the sat nav. I thought that I would have a look around and find a cheaper option..................Hence writing to you guys
I am very pleased with the response and I have more information to ponder over .
I am a little puzzled about how you came to buy two BT helmets and a sat nav for under a grand It must be that the deal that you did on the bike enabled the dealer to throw a bit of cash in to sweeten it up for you.But good on you for getting it.. thanks for the info anyway
Ray Davies

Thanks for the Info

I went with a Garmin 660 and a Migsel mount. I'll agree that the Garmin does have the occasional bizarre route moment but it's ok 99% of the time and it always gets me where I want to go.

Thats really helpful thanks.I have a tom tom in my car and as i approached viaduct and started to cross it The words were ......After 50 yds turn right !!!!
next came.......... Turn around asap:) So tom tom is not always right.But as I went through a large French city it was incredible it took me to safety and it was brilliant so I may try the garmin this time......Thanks
Regards
Ray

Garmin Mount

Not really in a position to recommend any particular gps as I've only used Garmin.

If you find yourself considering the Garmin option I currently have a genuine BMW bracket up for grabs £30 plus P & P - ( same as this one if link works ok http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GPS-MOUNT...69?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item4aa8b0a759)

Obviously originally intended for the BMW Navigator but carried my Zumo 660 ok on the standard Garmin mount, don't know if suitable for Tom Tom etc.

Cheers

Alan

I may consider that bracket.Do you have it advertised?
Still considering the options but the 660 seems to get the vote at the moment
Regards

Ray

Sat Nav

Just be aware the BMW satnav for the Rt1200 is simply a rebadged garmin zumo 660 so makes much better financial sense to get one of them at less than 1/2 the price. I have the 660 on my rt and it works well.

As for garmin v's tomTom that battle has been, and will continue, to go for some time. However the key advantage of the garmin is the native support to upload routes from a pc to the gps using the garmin software (I appreciate there are workrounds for other makes but not quite the same if you ask me.)

Peter

Peter
I had no idea that the two were the same Hence doing my homework on the subject.
That is really interesting. One wonders how they can charge a load more dosh for the same thing but I suppose thats BMW.............
Regards
Ray

Sat Nav

I've got the Garmin Zumo 660 and it works pretty well overall. Things I don't like about it are:

1. Slow redraw at complex junctions (like some roundabouts in France) meaning that you can occasionally end up taking the wrong turn. I've tried simplifying the level of detail, but the redraw is still slow. However, for 95% of the average trip, it's fine.

2. Some wierd routing on occasion which is counter-intuitive. No problem if you've checked out the route beforehand and are just using the satnav as a backup, but I've been up many a minor road/track in France that I would rather have avoided in favour of the more logical (and better maintained) route. I'm just not adventurous enough, I guess :D

3. Being told you have arrived at your destination when you clearly haven't. The most laughable/disturbing occurrence of this happened in the US: I had apparently arrived at my destination (a motel) when all around me was desert :rolleyes:

These problems aren't enough for me to buy a different satnav, however.

Thanks for the info.Yes I dont dont think that there is a SN on the market that is fool proof but hey if you use a bit of nouse with them..........
Thanks again
Ray

Back
Top Bottom