990 Adv or SMT?

boxerfrogs

Reaction score
Looks like I may have sold my R100GS so am now thinking of what to go for next. Having read loadsa bike mags, I sort of reckoned it was a toss up between a standard 1150GS (the Adventure model's pillion seat looks a little spartan for SWIMBO) or a 1200GS (budget of around £7500 won't stretch to a twin cam 12GS). But then the KTM Adventure 990 rudely gatecrashed the list. The more I read about these things, the more I fancied one. Goodbye Captain Sensible. At that point, realising I had completely lost my marbles, I started taking note of owners' negative comments - snatchy throttle at low revs, low m.p.g., fork seals blowing, poor front brake, front wheel rim prone to buckling, etc., etc., - but that still didn't stop me wanting one. But..., by reading reports, I suddenly discovered the SMT. Had never heard of it up until about an hour ago (yes, I know, I lead a sheltered life). Seems the SMT is (perhaps) a better road bike than the Adventure (I gather the Adv. is a 50% road and 50% off-road beastie). So now I'm all confused. As I don't really do any off-roading (I have a couple of classic trials bikes for that stuff), I'm thinking the SMT might suit me better. Or does the 990 Adv. kick its ass? Advice and opinions gratefully received. Further info - I'm 65, 30 inch inside leg (yes, shortish), been riding for half a century, retired in France and use a bike for frequent spins round the gorgeous countryside out here and occasional trips to the UK and back (500 miles each way, 95% boring motorways).

I test rode a SMT a couple of months back, awesome one day I will have one, second hand when values come down :blast
I have never riden a bike that I have felt so at home on straight from the off.
there is no way its a motorway mile muncher though, you just want to hit the bends :bounce1 better to ride than an a KTM adventure IMHO and if your not going off road there doesn't seem any point unless you love the dakar looks :drool
A pan european or an RT are a better bet for the motorway journeys, but rural french roads a SMT would be fantastic.
Mind you I bought myself an 1150 adventure, but an SMT990 in on the cards one day :augie

My mates just bought one he likes it,the engine goes like stink bit of a hooligan machine I sat on it but being 6ft 1 I felt like I was sitting on the tank so I bought a triple black instead.

Get a 950 SM Carb fed , tghey are beautiful to ride and perfectly fueled . P and H in Crawley have a 2008 plate Mint condition for £5995 , nearly bought it myself

http://www.phmotorcycles.co.uk/usedBikes/10130/ktm-950-supermoto-lc8.html

Yes, looks a good 'un. However, the reason I put my GS up for sale was that it's UK registered and getting it registered in France is a rather complicated process; the prospect of which I found somewhat daunting. So..., I'll be looking for a French registered bike, not another UK reg. one! Also, while I can understand the appeal of this 950, I don't think it'd suit me (lack of screen and touring capability) or her (pillion seat looks a bit small and uncomfy). Thanks for the message though! :)

I test rode a SMT a couple of months back, awesome one day I will have one, second hand when values come down :blast
I have never riden a bike that I have felt so at home on straight from the off.
there is no way its a motorway mile muncher though, you just want to hit the bends :bounce1 better to ride than an a KTM adventure IMHO and if your not going off road there doesn't seem any point unless you love the dakar looks :drool
A pan european or an RT are a better bet for the motorway journeys, but rural french roads a SMT would be fantastic.
Mind you I bought myself an 1150 adventure, but an SMT990 in on the cards one day :augie

Thanks for that. Yes, I've considered the ST1100 Pan - great for motorway stuff but not so great for pootling around locally. Also, I understand it's a bit heavy, especially when pushing in and out of the shed - ooh, I'm such a wimp! Having had Beemers in the past, I rather fancy a change so the RT, good as it may be, isn't really on my wish list. I take your point about there being no point to the 990 Adv if I'm not going off-road, but it seems to have a useful screen (for longer distance stuff) and it's rated as a viable alternative to the BMW 1200GS (so it must be pretty good). Thanks again. :thumb2

Iv'e ridden all the ktm's and hold them in very high regard--however ,from what you are needing to use the bike for,pillon usually,nice rides around the country.In my opinion you would be better off with something other than a KTM. None of them are excactly pillon friendly or bikes to potter around on[i don't mean this in a patronising way]. Have you considered a r1200r.

Hi Boxerfrogs, I'm afraid it sounds like the SMT will be far, far too much fun for you, now you wouldn't want that would you?? :augie

Awesome bike, I've had one for almost a year now, done 9,500 faultless, ballistic miles on it so far, but! as the other guys have said, there are better two up bikes ( mine is for solo "Hooning" :eek: only ) and, they will bimble but its really not their forte.

Beware!!! if you test ride one you'll be a slave to its spell :bow

See my comments in this post :-

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=294900

Iv'e ridden all the ktm's and hold them in very high regard--however ,from what you are needing to use the bike for,pillon usually,nice rides around the country.In my opinion you would be better off with something other than a KTM. None of them are excactly pillon friendly or bikes to potter around on[i don't mean this in a patronising way]. Have you considered a r1200r.

Thanks for that. Her on the pillion has survived a trip on an 851 Ducati to Florence and back, plus a few trips on the back of Fireblades etc., so is used to uncomfy seating. Prefers a comfy seat though, which is why that's one of many considerations when I'm choosing a bike. I suspect the 990 Adv seat is comfy enough but I could be wrong. Ah, the R1200R... probably out of my price range and, to me anyway, it looks a bit 'lardy' - and I don't take your suggestion as being in the least bit patronising! Am aware that I'm probably coming across as a boring old git who'd probably be better off with a Honda Deauville... but I still keep coming back to the 990 Adv, possibly because it's been described ad 'the thinking man's alternative to the BMW R1200GS'. Plus, it doesn't seem as boring (for want of a better word). And..., this SMT still appeals, especially after I've had a couple of scotches!

Hi Boxerfrogs, I'm afraid it sounds like the SMT will be far, far too much fun for you, now you wouldn't want that would you?? :augie

Awesome bike, I've had one for almost a year now, done 9,500 faultless, ballistic miles on it so far, but! as the other guys have said, there are better two up bikes ( mine is for solo "Hooning" :eek: only ) and, they will bimble but its really not their forte.

Beware!!! if you test ride one you'll be a slave to its spell :bow

See my comments in this post :-

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=294900

Fun! The very word I've been looking for. Seems to be particularly appropriate for association with KTM - far more so than BMW. Ideally, I'd have two bikes - the SMT and maybe an 1150GS - but an infestation of moths in the wallet area dictates otherwise. So I'm sort of looking for a bike somewhere in the middle. Which is why I keep coming back to the 990 Adv. That SMT is still on my list though!

You can fit a better seat option to a 1150GS, from a 1150GS & make it a normal twinseat option

Just change the silver racks over & hardware, fit 2 1150GS seats & your pillion will love you

You can fit a better seat option to a 1150GS, from a 1150GS & make it a normal twinseat option

Just change the silver racks over & hardware, fit 2 1150GS seats & your pillion will love you

Bit confused here... I take it you're suggesting replacing the 1150GS Adventure single seat with the 2 seats from a standard 1150GS, thus making it comfier for the luckiest girl in the world. Good thinking. Maybe the R1150GS Adventure is back on my list...

What about a Moto Guzzi Stelvio? Just an idea...

Yes, good thought. Good reports. Trouble is, being an old git, I associate Italian bikes with electrical problems and unreliability. Probably completely unfairly, of course. When I first looked it up, I saw it was called a V4. So I got rather excited! But it's only the usual Guzzi V2. Shall study the Stelvio further.

My tuppence worth...... I recently had (and recently sold) a KTM 990 Supermoto. Before I bought it, I did loads of research and spend a day on an Adventure and a day on an SMT to compare. Both bikes are great, I have to say. I just think the Adv is as ugly as sin (horses for courses I guess). Ultimately I plumbed for the 990 Supermoto - mainly down to price. Same engine in all models. Adv very expensive in my opinion, and I'll never use it for what it's really intended for. I couldn't justify the price difference between the SM and the SMT - around £1.5 to £2k, for what, a slightly larger fuel tank, slightly bigger fairing, lower front mudguard and exhaust cowls to hang a couple of completely useless bags from. In the end, I paid £5k for an 08 SM with 5,000 miles on the clock, in absolutely mint condition. Similar SMTs were up for at least £6,250. Only reason I got rid of it was that I found the fuelling too jerky for my liking - felt too much of an off-road bike shoe-horned into a road bike (clearly this will be the case with KTMs heritage). I fitted a set of titanium Akras, power commander and motohooligan airbox, but it was still not to my liking. Plus, service intervals at 4k miles works out expensive. Realising I'm rambling on, I'll pack it in now.... :beerjug:

Oh, and..... 950 much smoother engine (IMHO) as carbed rather than injected in the 990..... adios

Have you considered a Triumph Tiger 800?

For your budget you could buy new and it'll do everything the bikes you mention will and has good performance, handling and residuals.

Oh, and..... 950 much smoother engine (IMHO) as carbed rather than injected in the 990..... adios

Thanks for this and your previous comment. I've now done a MASSIVE amount of KTM 990 and 950 Adventure report reading (mostly on the internet) and it would appear that the 990's main negative point is its 'jerky' throttle at low revs (some say it can be a bit alarming, if not dangerous, in traffic). Remedies include a smaller front sprocket and alterations to the mapping (you experts probably know all this but, being a KTM novice, it's all news to me). On the other hand, reports suggest the 950's carbs work well, without the 990's 'snatchiness'. So, of the two, the 950 seems the better option (could be wrong of course - usually am!). However, have been a bit alarmed by reports of water pump and clutch bits (can't remember now, but I think it's those items) being knackered by deposits being left in the engine after sand(?) blasting during manufacture. Don't know how true these reports are but I definitely find it a bit off-putting.

Have you looked at the 800GS ? I'd be looking at either that or the Tiger 800 if it must be an adv style bike.
But as has been mentioned above, the R version of the BMW Boxer is all that most of us will ever really need. All the good features of a GS, lower but without the off road pretentions. A better ride too apparently

However, have been a bit alarmed by reports of water pump and clutch bits (can't remember now, but I think it's those items) being knackered by deposits being left in the engine after sand(?) blasting during manufacture. Don't know how true these reports are but I definitely find it a bit off-putting.[/QUOTE]

The 'Orange crush' section on advr,Has a write up concerning these issues,which you may have read.However i would''nt let this put you off looking at a 950.There are also reports of these engines doing big mileages 70 thousand and above with no problems .

Back
Top Bottom