urgent help needed with starter motor removal on r1100rt

mark2jag

Reaction score
I know its taking the piss a little bit but I need some urgent help with starter motor removal/cleaning. has anyone got an idiots guide please. or possibly some actual help. I'll be starting work on it tonight at 6, and If i cant get any help then I guess I'll just have to go at it blind. In an ideal world there would be someone in the Reading/Arborfield area who could help me, but I know thats a bit unlikely knowing that not many people out there in my neck of the woods. Whats involved in getting the starter motor out?? Does the Fairing have to come off and if it does which side????? It would seem that the starter or the solenoid is stuck. This as it stands at the moment is my only form of transport, so if I cant fix it I'll just stay at work until tomorrow when im on shift anyway. Please God tell me the fairing doesnt have to come off..... If anyone has an idiots guide that would be helpful as I am one. Im on 07851563928 if anyone can help..

Thank you all.......... Mark:hide:hide:hide:hide

From my experience with an 1100GS, getting to the attachment bolts is "challenging" with the original exhaust box fitted that is under the gearbox etc and that the centre stand wraps around. I'd guess the RT will be similar. Removing the exhaust made it 1000% easier, if you're lucky, the exhaust bolts won't be rusted solid.

with the 11RT you will need to take off the LH fairing panel, you then have to undo 2(from memory) allen bolts, and disconnect the electrics, you can then slide the starter out. the motor breaks down quite easily, and you will most likely find the magnets are loose/chewed up, I have been through this a couple of times over the years, and in the end gave up and bought a pattern motor, which has been fine for the last 2-3 years. I am in Reading, but the other end, if you are stuck then drop me a PM Ken

PS here is a walkthrough

I've done it on the R1100RS which has the same exhaust as the RT and it wasn't a problem - hardest part is "finding" the bolt on the far side of the starter because it is right up against the gearbox - and not really that hard.

A.

I know its taking the piss a little bit but I need some urgent help with starter motor removal/cleaning. has anyone got an idiots guide please. or possibly some actual help. I'll be starting work on it tonight at 6, and If i cant get any help then I guess I'll just have to go at it blind. In an ideal world there would be someone in the Reading/Arborfield area who could help me, but I know thats a bit unlikely knowing that not many people out there in my neck of the woods. Whats involved in getting the starter motor out?? Does the Fairing have to come off and if it does which side????? It would seem that the starter or the solenoid is stuck. This as it stands at the moment is my only form of transport, so if I cant fix it I'll just stay at work until tomorrow when im on shift anyway. Please God tell me the fairing doesnt have to come off..... If anyone has an idiots guide that would be helpful as I am one. Im on 07851563928 if anyone can help..

Thank you all.......... Mark:hide:hide:hide:hide

Thought you'd sold it:D

LH fairing off (take the mirror off first, because their is a screw there, plus some screws under the oil cooler and above the cylinder head - about 13 in total

KennyC, yes please your help most appreciated.

kennyC. Thank you for the offer of help. it would be most appreciated. If you call me on 07851563928 i will make some arrangements to meet you. Thank you once again and look forward to speaaking to you as and when you get some time. Regards, Mark.

P.S. Looks like I cant PM you so mobile number seems to be the only option.

Silly question but does anyone know

Does anyone Know KennyC?? if anyone does are they able to get a message to him and pass on my mobile number. I've looked at the idiots guide and it looks like im more stupid than I ever thought I was, and am now well stuffed.

Regards., Mark

Big thank you to kennyC

Just wanna say a massive thank you to kennyC for offering to come and help me sort the starter issue. He was prepared to stop whatever he had planned for that evening and drive all the way across Reading to where I am and help me get it sorted. Not many people would be prepared to do that and go out of their way for a total stranger. Anyway bike sorted and now sold and am on the hunt for an 1100/1150GS.... if I can find a good un its gonna be a keeper too.....

Back
Top Bottom