BM 800GS to KTM 990 - some thoughts after a few months

Ross Dean

Reaction score
I know I am not alone in having made the change and posted on it but I want to add my thoughts on the KTM 990 Adventure.

As sold, the KTM was fitted with ABS, a touring screen, KTM plastic hard luggage, KTM tank bag, SW Mototech engine/petrol tank guards, Akrapovic exhausts and KTM heated grips. I had an extra power point and a Scottoiler added before collection. Since then I have added a GiT/AS bash plate, a Touratec headlamp protector, an RC8 throttle, a Air-Ram and TKCs front and rear. The end product is:

ABRWales2012-010.jpg

I sold the F800GS because, at the time, I needed the money. I later bought the 2007 KTM because I fancied a change and couldn't afford a new bike (I was tempted by a BMW K1300R and may still get one when I am considerably richer).

So, my thoughts.

Having just returned from the ABR Welsh rally and some reasonably exacting trails, I can say that I am really happy with this bike. It does all that is asked on A roads, B roads, motorways (considering its dual purpose design) and off-road. So far as travelling on motorways with luggage is concerned, its pretty similar to the BMW F800GS but has a far better balance and suspension on the twisties and off-road. The poorer points are a snatchiness at low speeds (its supposed to be better on later models), buffeting at speed (greatly reduced by the Air-Ram or a tank bag) and fuel consumption (about 43 mpg). The small tank is the result of its saddle-bag-like design which contributes to the excellent handling and so the range (about 120 miles before the warning light and around 30 miles to get fuel after that) is an issue I am prepared to live with and solve using a small spare fuel can should it ever be a problem.

The KTM has an unusual plus point in that its design is simple and, along with the comprehensive parts lists supplied with every bike and the good basic tool set, encourages home-maintenance. This is a good thing, considering the service interval for my 2007 bike is 4,700 miles with a valve clearance check every second service. It is relatively easy to keep well maintained and there are no service warning lights to reset or complex electrics to curse.This simplicity is one aspect of the bike that I have grown to appreciate; it seems that I didn't actually need the on-board computer that I paid to have on both my F800GS bikes!

The KTM 990 Adventure is about simplicity, power and fitness-for-purpose. The engineering is focussed on the role the bike was designed to fulfil, to get you to the road-less-taken and then take you over it. The package works from its powerful v-twin engine and the precise handling on roads, to the balance and excellent suspension off-road. Its simplicity encourages self-maintenence which leads to a certain self-reliance on that big trip ... don't forget the spare fuel can :)

and oh boy do they go off road.

Drifting on 990 is one of the best biking experiences I have ever had ;-)

and oh boy do they go off road.

Drifting on 990 is one of the best biking experiences I have ever had ;-)

Just as an aside Burt - what about this big bike rally? Is it suitable for someone with my experience? I am attending one of the training days in late August - is it too late to assess my competence at that stage for the event in September?

Back
Top Bottom