1150RT Advice

Budweiser

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Im going to have a look at a MY 04 in silver tonight. The guy is asking £3900 but subject to condition etc I was thinking a max of £3500 and more like £3250. It's currently being advertised in eBay classifieds. Any thoughts on what I should look for would be a great help. Thanks :beerjug:

If it looks good then it probably is. Take a good look behind the plastics. If allowed remove the fairing (sorry, 17 bolts each side). If it's in good nick underneath then it's probably fine elsewhere.

I bought a MY 02 silver one a couple of years ago. It looked great but it had a problem with breaking final drive bearings every few thousand miles. Mine must have been the fabled Friday bike. A closer inspection of the service history showed this bike had a long problem with that bearing.

Take a good look at the documentation with your bike and see if any infrequently replaced items get replaced frequently.

Just so I'm not putting you off, my 1150GS is on it's original final drive bearing at 80,000 miles.

If the bike has been parked on the side stand for a while then don't be put off by a smokey startup. They all do it.

Some rattle for a moment or two until the oil gets everywhere especially after a few weeks laid up. Don't worry unless it doesn't stop.

The brakes are linked front to back and back to front and the servo is overpowered. A gently tap on the back brake will have you nutting the screen. Don't worry, just be aware of it.

Make sure the alternator belt has been changed recently. Service interval is 24k. Don't let anyone tell you any different. BMW reduced it from 35k a few years ago. It's a real pig to get at because of all the bodywork that needs to be remove but it's a 10 minute job after that but could knock you a few quid off the price.

Get the bike on the centre stand. Grab hold of the rear wheel at 3 and 9 oclock. Pull/push to/away to see if there is any play. If there is, get someone to press the rear brake. If the play stops you need a new final drive bearing. More £'s off.
Do the same but at 12 and 6 o clock. Any play there and you need swing arm bearings. Cheap and easy to replace but, again, more £'s off.

The brake servo's whine like an orgy of rats. That's normal.

If it looks good and rides well it's probably ok.

Hope this helps a bit.

Regards

Rob

R1150RT

I would have thought a 2003 with below 35,000 miles in good nick with luggage would be worth £3800 to £4300.
Robert

Thanks guys very helpful :beerjug: . The bike is a 2004 1130cc Silver. The guy selling her is moving into a flat without a garage. We have shaken hands at £3k subject to a test ride etc. A very good deal I think/hope. I'll post some pictures once I've worked out how with my iPad. Hope to pick her up on Sunday so any other tips/advice would be gratefully received. Thanks again :thumb2

Don

Thanks guys very helpful :beerjug: . The bike is a 2004 1130cc Silver. The guy selling her is moving into a flat without a garage. We have shaken hands at £3k subject to a test ride etc. A very good deal I think/hope. I'll post some pictures once I've worked out how with my iPad. Hope to pick her up on Sunday so any other tips/advice would be gratefully received. Thanks again :thumb2

Don

sounds very much like a bargain , make sure you do all the checks above , and just to be sure HPI it too:thumb

Will do soon. I'm very please with the bike, rode her home in the rain with no dramas. Goes like a dream. Landed up paying £3200 in the end but still a real bargin as far as I'm concerned :thumb2

Some pictures of my new baby :beerjug:

Sorry no pics as it keeps saying 'Invalid file'??????

5ac5d766-1f27-9b6b.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Just had a full service including all fluids :beerjug: Went to Reids in Chelmsford. Well pleased as he (Olly) also fitted tethers to the mirrors and wired in my satnav :D

All for the princely sum of £260 inc VAT :clap

Back
Top Bottom