New baby Guzzi

MarkShelley

Very similar to Paolo Maldini
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
This is my latest purchase. A 1985 V50 MK111 which the previous owner believes was a Spanish Police bike although I can`t find any record of the Spanish Police using them. It came with best part of a years ticket and a few months tax. It started on the button but was cutting out at higher revs. I have just done the valves, points and balanced the carbs and she now seems to run really nicely. Like many of these it has been fiddled about with and the twistgrip assembly appears to be of an old Brit bike and the bars are low renthals as apparently the originals were rusty. I will definately be replacing these, possibly with something higher.
Having taken it for a short run I notice that one of the head bolts on each side is filling with oil(they are deeply recessed allen key bolts) . Any of you Guzzi boffins know why?
100_0244.jpg

because they can !

remove nut , put a crush washer under nut, locktite nut , replace .
if it still does it......tough . tighten to 35lbs/ft

because they can !

I have just done trhat to one side to see how it stands up but I can`t test it out as the battery seems to have discharged overnight. I am crap with electrics. It is a pretty new battery and the optimate was telling me all is well so I can only assume something is draining it when not in use. Wher should I start to look. I do have one of those yellow digital electrical testing thingys which rarely sees the light of day as just the sight of it gets me worried;)

I have just done trhat to one side to see how it stands up but I can`t test it out as the battery seems to have discharged overnight. I am crap with electrics. It is a pretty new battery and the optimate was telling me all is well so I can only assume something is draining it when not in use. Wher should I start to look. I do have one of those yellow digital electrical testing thingys which rarely sees the light of day as just the sight of it gets me worried;)

Welcome to the world of Guzzi electrics:D

This is an orange version of your yellow one so may help -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7Q1N-iu71w

Reading with everything completely off should be 12.5 or so.

because they can !

Quite a while since I have had a V50. I seem to remember them having copper washers under the head bolts.

They are prone to blowing head gaskets but these are very easy to fix.

Lovely little bikes when they're sorted. Should go round bends like they're on rails.

This is a great site for Guzzi parts and has all of the Microfiches http://www.stein-dinse.biz/eliste/index.php

I had whacked it back on the optimate and it was fully charged way to quickly for the battery to have been dead. I have now isolated the problem to the lead from the battery to the starter motor. When I wiggle it it works, although there is no obvious fault. I have taken it for a decent run. The loctite seem to have stopped oil coming up the thread, but it is still finding its way out at the washer. I have to say it feels asd quick as my T3.
I couldn`t resist stopping for a few pics.

100_0248.jpg

100_0250.jpg

100_0249.jpg

because they can !

Whatever this man says about guzzis, i'd listen to what he says. ;)

he works on them all day everyday

I've just replaced the battery on my Breva 750, after the old one failed to start, although it still read >12v.

These people are good: http://www.tayna.co.uk/

Before that, I was advised on the Guzzi club site, to clean and tighten the earth contacts from the battery to the frame/crankcases, and the live contacts from the battery to the starter solenoid and starter motor itself. Also, the braid "strap" from solenoid to starter can fray.

I had a V50 Monza back in the day, and commuted round the South Circular daily. It was mostly reliable, but prone to not start in freezing weather, and the carb rubbers would split. Also, in bad weather, the float bowls would get water in them. Oh, and the Guzzi linked brake system would wear out one pair of front brake pads double-quick. But, I had such warm memories of it, I got the Breva...

Picked up some used Guzzi T4 bars from a chap in London for a tenner yesterday and fitted them last night. So much better now.

IMG00073-20120822-18351.jpg

Back
Top Bottom