High Mileage HD's

Sgt Bilco

Dream Maker
Mod Squad
Reaction score
You get the occasional high miler over here. This guy has 104,000 on his 2006 something or other with the same drive belt from new and rides it most days. He's never had any issue worth talking about with it apart from putting petrol in it:augie

We had an interesting discussion about how bikes become more reliable when you ride them and not sit them on an optimate in the garage for weeks on end:thumb

He's from Tennessee and he's in the Yukon in Canada right now just mooching about.

Attachments

• totw3.JPG
    totw3.JPG
    90.7 KB · Views: 450
theres to much of an obsession with low mileage bikes a high mileage bike thats been looked after is often a better prospect:thumb2

You don't have a choice over here David as a trip to the shops can be 50 miles:D

Good point!

Reminds me of when I was camping in Colorado, and a round trip to the nearest town to get supplies was, nearly 100 miles...

My glide has done 90,678 miles as of today... Not all by me I must stress, but it runs a sweet as a nut....

My discovery 3 has done 202,345 all driven by me, apart from the odd mechanic...and that to runs sweet....my GS has a mere 38,200...

Keep em serviced, fix em when they break...thats my motto...

My glide has done 90,678 miles as of today... Not all by me I must stress, but it runs a sweet as a nut....

My discovery 3 has done 202,345 all driven by me, apart from the odd mechanic...and that to runs sweet....my GS has a mere 38,200...

Keep em serviced, fix em when they break...thats my motto...

My '91 sporty has nearly 120k on it, all done by me. I service it, oil, fuel it and fix it when I drop it. It's a tatty looking thing now, but runs sweet.

I had a ratty looking 93 Heritage Softail here in Malaysia with over 100k km on it. Mechanicals were very sweet, but I had niggly electrical problems because a previous owner had played around. I finally sorted it out and regret selling the bike, as Harley's have doubled in price here over the last 5 years.... treat them right, ride them at legal speeds and they are good faithfull bikes and still relativley simple.

You get the occasional high miler over here. This guy has 104,000 on his 2006 something or other with the same drive belt from new and rides it most days. He's never had any issue worth talking about with it apart from putting petrol in it:augie

We had an interesting discussion about how bikes become more reliable when you ride them and not sit them on an optimate in the garage for weeks on end:thumb

He's from Tennessee and he's in the Yukon in Canada right now just mooching about.

It must have been clocked, surely only BMWs with aluminium panniers can average 17k miles a year? :toungincheek

Imagine all that cleaning :ymca2

mileage

my mate in London has a Heritage evo with just over 100.000 on the clock and a Heritage twin cam with about 110.000 on the clock.
Another friend in the USA bought a new FXR in 1986 done a engine rebuild at 275.000 miles and the bike now has 400.000 miles on the clock.
he bought a new glide last year and put 44.000 miles on it in 12 months.
my arse feels sore just thinking about it.

You simply can't beat 2 cylinders fed by 1 carb...

One (of several) reasons why the 1340 Evo is the best M/cycle engine ever :thumb2

I dare you to repeat that anywhere outside of the Harley section! :D

I dare you to repeams it sensless from the second it turns overeat that anywhere outside of the Harley section! :D

He's right though......and don't ya know it??!!.........

High mileage theme continued (sort of) My son (20) bought a 1 Litre Micra two years ago. 50.000 miles well looked after thing.

He thrashes the tits off it....cold starts....foot to floor..He screws it sensless from the second it turns overs.......Now on 108,000 miles.....Starts and runs el perfecto...

Secret ?......Regular (7,000 mile) 'Wilco' oil changes.......;)

I think most modern engines will do high mileages if looked after. It's the electrics and general over complexicity (is that a word?) that are now the weak points.

My Road King has 140,000kms on it and is running as well as my 10,000 mile GS ever did ....and that was perfect too :)

Evo engines seem pretty bulletproof to me

Back
Top Bottom