Fuel consumption/Distance to empty

Tommy Gunn

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Well, she's done over 3,000 miles now and things seem to have settled down. I've been out for a wee spin today through the Wolds up to Grimsby via Market Rasen and back home again - a round trip of about 130 miles on a mix of A and B roads. Average fuel consumption for the trip was 55.4 mpg, average since she was delivered to me currently sits at 53.4 mpg. One thing I have noticed, and I'm not sure if this is a fault (though I suspect it is), is that the Distance to empty display seems to reset itself any time the engine is switched off for any length of time. Also the recalculating takes a relative age, up to 15 minutes before it gets to a proper D.T.E. figure, only increasing very gradually in 1 mile steps at a time. It was somewhat disconcerting at 1st, particularly whenever I filled up on my way to/from Le Màns but I'm used to it now. I have read of 'known' problems with the fuel ribbon (?) causing other owners to run out of petrol and wondered if my D.T.E. fault, if it is a fault, is related to the fuel ribbon (?) problems other owners have experienced.

My fuel range misreads if I fill the tank to the brim and my K1200S used to do the same.

The RT is currently averaging 49.5mpg, although the hire bike we had in the States was averaging 59 :eek:

Well, being an idle sod I always fill right up but, obviously, when I've ridden a bit then stop/restart she's no longer full.
Didn't have this issue with my '05 RT.

Mine does it to it's a 2011 SE, but to be honest i would never just trust that, i always use the trip meter and once i get to 200 miles i look to fill up, normally 19 litres or so.

I travel to the ardennes every weekend and fuel consumption goes from about 46MPG riding er quickly :) but in normal riding if the traffic is bad about 49 to 50MPG.

My fuel range misreads if I fill the tank to the brim and my K1200S used to do the same.

The RT is currently averaging 49.5mpg, although the hire bike we had in the States was averaging 59 :eek:

The above statement is a surprise. Due to the yanks having a smaller- inferior- gallon, i would expect worse MPG, not better.

The above statement is a surprise. Due to the yanks having a smaller- inferior- gallon, i would expect worse MPG, not better.

The computer said 49 miles per US gallon, which works out at 59.64 miles per Imperial gallon (divide by 3.73 then multiply by 4.54 off the top of my head), but we were riding long straight roads at a steady 65-75mph most of the time over there.

On the rt with metal tube in filler you can drill it to let out air and in more petrol about 2 liters I don't know if it works on later bikes JJH

Hmmm, interesting. i dont think the tube in the filler on my bike is metal, and if you can be bothered to fill slowly you can get another litre and a half in.

Back
Top Bottom