recomend me a self inflating mattress

geordie

Reaction score
as the title says.......................

i had a one years ago but was maybe an inch thick at most so not great but weighed nowt and took up very little space, i even bought a couple of newer versions earlier in the year but there not much thicker.
been using a double airbed for a few years now but im after someting lighter .

im after something bigger and deeper (oo err) im 6ft and just over 16st , so need summit substantial.

planning a three week solo trip for july/august next year, down to croatia camping all the way so it needs to be comfortable, using a khyam biker tent, any advice greatly appreciated,

Andy

What's your budget? And are you intent on self-inflating or are you happy to do some pumping/blowing? In fact, is there such a thing as a self-inflating mattress that needs no blowing?

People on here do seem to be great fans of the Exped downmats - they are pricey but great for cold weather, comfortable, pack down well and have integral pumps.
http://www.actionoutdoors.co.uk/outdoor_gear/info_X32205385_exped_downmat_7pump_lw.html
http://www.actionoutdoors.co.uk/outdoor_gear/info_X32205095_exped_downmat_9pump_lw.html

Exped Megamat

Used one for three weeks around Spain in June. It's the best piece of kit I've ever bought.

obvioualy il be willing to pay a bit more for the right bit of kit thats going to last , is there a pump inside these ones or do they self inflate then need a little extra blow from me?
looks like they pack down pretty small

I used a few self-inflaters before but found that the older I get - the more aches and pains are highlighted by some of the matresses on the market.

Bought a cheap 9.99 tubular unit last week from Go-Outdoors that has it's own "pump" built-in (not really a pump - a sponge that allows your foot to compress the air and act like a pump) works well and found it fairly comfy for my 110kg 6ft4" frame.

still have to try it on hard ground - but found that it given quite a bit of support .... and best of all it's quite a small pack-size! :thumb

The exped downmats I linked too just use the internal pump. Because they are lined with feathers to get you the warmth, you don't want to be blowing them up by breathing warm damp air into them.

You also don't want to pump them up too full as they are more comfortable when a bit squishy.

The mega Mat comes with a pump. Usual practice is to pull the inflate plug and throw the mat into the tent. Leave it 5 minutes then attach the pump. 15-20 pumps and it's fine. There's footage of it on YouTube but I'm not technical enough to attach it.

Here you are

Megamat:
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/3g7YuFtAvME" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Downmat:
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/WKQST7AELdw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

the mega mat looks canny , despite its size im sure it could fit across the back seat

Another vote for the Megamat. Had Alpkit Fat Airic before and the Exped is much better. Fitted fine on the RT, so should be ok on the Gs.
Stu

Just done 10 days camping on exped 9 synmat. Best mat i have owned. Think i paid £70 in winter months. Tried it out ,very warm. So good Julie had to have one too,her with a bad hip an all. Like the megamat though. They have a good warranty too.:thumb

:thumb2 for the exped down mat. I've got one, (down mat 7 Ultralite large size) and I use it in my Khyam Biker. Fits the sleeping area perfectly. Takes up very little room when deflated, infact I keep it in the tent bag as the Khyam tent bag is generous. Bit expensive, but should last many years. The Schnozzle inflator bag is multi use, not only as an ingenious inflator, but It's water proof so I use it for storing my sleeping bag in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VA9u8Hc39EQ

There's only one Matt and that's the Exped DLX7 or DLX9 down Matt. I went through all the usual suspects before getting the daddy of matts. Save time and money and just go with the Exped.

.... and best of all it's quite a small pack-size! :thumb

I'd beg to differ. For a sleeping mat, best of all is the type of kip it allows you to get. Otherwise don't take one, then that would be a really small pack size :) Not like you're carrying the bloody thing yourself is it ? :augie

After trying many different mats and air beds over many years with varied success, i bit the bullet and bought a couple of the DLX7 down mats.

Tried them this weekend for the first time, I thought they were fantastic, really comfortable & warm with a small pack size, (i can easily get the two beds, two exped pillows and my tarp in a small ortleib stuff sack)

The built in pump is handy:blast:D

Not cheap though, but Les at Travel Dri did supply 'next day' at a nice price.

All i need now is some rectangular shaped 3 season, down filled sleeping bags and my kit will be sorted for this comming winters camping season:thumb2 (4 season bags are too hot for me)

After trying many different mats and air beds over many years with varied success, i bit the bullet and bought a couple of the DLX7 down mats.

Tried them this weekend for the first time, I thought they were fantastic, really comfortable & warm with a small pack size, (i can easily get the two beds, two exped pillows and my tarp in a small ortleib stuff sack)

The built in pump is handy:blast:D

Not cheap though, but Les at Travel Dri did supply 'next day' at a nice price.

All i need now is some rectangular shaped 3 season, down filled sleeping bags and my kit will be sorted for this comming winters camping season:thumb2 (4 season bags are too hot for me)

Clearly the sales pitch impressed both you and Jeanette - hope Les upsold you the bag and shnozzle for pumping it up 'a la Bakes'?

I'm off to claim my commission :judge

Back
Top Bottom