R1200RT panniers & top box on R1200R ?

ronnie69

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'm on the hunt for an R1200R but few are coming up with luggage and luggage seems scarce on the 2nd hand market. I'm far too tight to shell out BMW money for new panniers/box.

Any of you 1200RT peeps able to confirm whether 1200RT panniers and box will also fit on the 1200R ?

I'm not really interested in Givi racks/boxes etc - too bulky and look a bit poo imho....

Also, anyone selling an R1200R or know of one for sale (newer the better, but anything considered)? Must be well looked after, have documented history and no 'issues'. :thumb2

Last edited:
The panniers are the same, & I'm sure the "small RT top-box" option is the same.

If so, I'm sure you can fit the large top-box, but whether it's a wise thing to fit onto the 1200R rack is another matter. The 1200R rack may or may not be designed or capable of taking the extra weight.

I looked at this when a mate was looking at an R. The sales guy said that the panniers are the same but you cant fit the big BMW top box as the rack is only rated for the smaller one. The only diiference in the OEM ones and the RT OEMs appears to be that the RT ones have a colour coded lid whereas the optional ones with the R have a black plastic lid like the main body of the pannier

The BMW system panniers are the same on the RT and K models (except K16 which has the larger touring panniers)and these fit straight on the R. As stated in the previous post the only difference is the colour scheme. Just keep looking on Flee-Bay as they do come up. Sometimes single from the breakers. There is a repair kit available for the locks so you can have one key for the bike. It costs 17 pounds a barrel to fit yourself or your dealer can do it he will charge between 20 and 30 pounds a lock.
:thumb

Thanks for all the replies - very handy :clap

Now - anyone selling an R1200R ?

Or know of any good sites for searching for used bikes (other than ebay/mcn/biketrader/pistonheads/gumtree/preloved/exchange & mart/bmw motorrad AUB thingy) ?

Back
Top Bottom