Water Pump weakness

Captain Black

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
So i read swatting up on the F650 gs/Dakar that the water pumps have the potential to fail on a regular basis. Anyone had these happen on...well a regular basis.
Does the fault run all the way through the model year's upto the last of the line in 06 ?

Mine seems ok but i gues its wise to always carry the shaft and seals on a long trip. Looks like a ball ache to change by the roadside.
I'm just trying to see if anyone knows if the failure rate is high, or just internet forum induced panic by a few owners ?

They don't fail on a regular basis:confused: but the seal can, on occasion leak.

Best bet is to carry spares and convert the oil return line to a flexible beforehand to make removing the clutch cover easier:thumb

Had to do it twice on the wifes 650...that was in seven years of ownership 40k +....
still proved more reliable than my 1150 bought at the same time though..:nenau

Mine is a 2002 F650GS.
10,000 miles to date.
Water pump problems to date - nil.
I really don't like putting that in writing though as it does feel like tempting fate.
But while I'm in tempting mode, very few problems at all in those 10,000 miles, and my fingers are crossed as I type this.

They don't fail on a regular basis:confused: but the seal can, on occasion leak.

Best bet is to carry spares and convert the oil return line to a flexible beforehand to make removing the clutch cover easier:thumb

I'm gonna get a spare kit shaft/seals just incase. My lad's seems alright though.

Would it be ok to just saw the return pipe at a chosen spot and add some flexi fuel line ?
Or is a known mod available Tim ?

26k on my bike and had to change the water pump at 22k. If you get a spare pump then its probably also worth getting a spare gasket and crush washer.

Komatias, he's on here too.

So when you say "pump" what's in the kit ? Two seals and a shaft with a plastic impeller ? What about any gears or such like. I'm guessing crush washer for the drain bolt on the housing, and maybe a paper gasket for the clutch/pump cases.

That looks pricey for some flexi hose and a couple of connectors at 50 quids ? Would it not be risky incase the flexi gets twisted and starves the motor of oil. I was thinking maybe cut out the middle section of pipe and join a flexy bit in between to make removal a bit easier ? Just how much of a ball ache is it ? How about if the footrest hanger was removed to make life easier ?

Girlfriend did about 80,000 on her first F650GS, 50,000 on the second. I did 50,000 on my F650GS Dakar ......

.......... no water pump troubles, or leaks thereabouts :thumb

:beerjug:

Just how much of a ball ache is it ?

Get it all at the right angle and it's easy. I'm sure a flexi oil line would make it a lot easier but it was only ten minutes of juggling without one.

It's not like it breaks and that's it - bike sat until you can get a replacement impeller, seals etc. Personally I wouldn't worry about it until it starts weeping, then order the parts to fix it.

As Micky says, it might never happen in the time you own the bike. :thumb

Is the pump same in Gx? Is first symptons of failure leaking outside, not internal?

Yeah .... just after I sold it to him by all accounts :aidan

Tough old world eh?

:beerjug:

A shame:D

I always carried an impeller and seals on trips abroad and still do for Ange's bike, they take up little space....although clutch/ brake lever seem to 'fail' more regularly on her bike:blast:D

A shame:D

I always carried an impeller and seals on trips abroad and still do for Ange's bike, they take up little space....although clutch/ brake lever seem to 'fail' more regularly on her bike:blast:D

It's something to take on a Euro trip, no hardship carrying a small impeller/shaft and a couple of seals. I was thinking it may be possible for a halfway house fix with the oil pipe, ie add some flexi pipe but retain part of the original so it does'nt have to be rerouted up the front of the engine. Heat and or a twisted pipe could spell death for the motor surely ?

It was the propeller that failed on mine/mikeys, not the pump. They made it out of plastic, daft given the water temperature when stuck in Sahara sand. :augie

It was the propeller that failed on mine/mikeys, not the pump. They made it out of plastic, daft given the water temperature when stuck in Sahara sand. :augie

Nearly all bike:thumb impellers are made from plastic, KTM included with no problems.

Personally I'm not going to start carrying spares for it.
If it breaks I'll get it fixed, same as I do if the head bearings start to fail, or a wheel bearing, or the chain, or take your pick on any of the bits really.
But if it takes a bit of worry out of your life, then by all means carry a few spares.

If you are overlanding, it is worth taking a WP spare. It weighs nothing. (your life will also be made easier if you get a flexible oil line to go with it too "wink wink")

The symptoms of a failed pump are usually the seals leaking. This happens quicker if you have not applied the correct grease to the seals prior to fitting.

Leaking seals may leak out through the hole at the bottom of the casing or if that is blocked, into the oil compartment.

As the antifreeze leaks out of the case, it give off a sweet smell as it evaporates off the exhaust header. Be aware that this is also a signature of a blown head gasket.

Nearly all bike:thumb impellers are made from plastic, KTM included with no problems.

There was an Austrian company that were making aftermarket metal ones as the rotax engine was used in something else I think (can't remember much now). I looked into it just before someone nicked it.

You may problems when its 50c air temperature and the bikes revving at standstill trying to get it out of sand.

Back
Top Bottom