Scotoiler for 650 Dakar

Captain Black

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Anyone fitted one of these vacum scotoiler's to F650 GS Dakar ?
Are they worth the money and a straight forward fit ? I'm thinking chain life will be increased a tiny bit, along woth sprockets, but the big plus not having to lube chain and clean manually ?

Anyone got one that they,ve used and seen it's benefits with ?

Cheers.

Personally I wouldn't run a chain driven bike without one.

Currently I have one fitted to my F800GS and I top up the reservoir once a fortnight or more if I've been riding a lot.

The only down side is the oil spread under the chain guard and back of the number plate. A small price to pay IMO.

Fitted one to wife,s 650 when she bought it new in 05....fantastic bit o kit 7 years later...Re fitted same scotoiler to her new 650 twin...just needed diffrent vacuume take off bit....(fiver from scottoil :thumb)....

i dont believe in them.

there are cheaper makes that work as well if want one

i find a 5euro can spray lube and 3-4 years later its ony empty

if do any off roading or green laning they can cause sand and dirt to stick to cheain and oil thrown all over bike makes it messy

belray chain lube is great. it dries in so is more like a was than oil and i find for the once a month have lube it up it worth it. id put the money into something else.

but thats my opinion, many swear by them others hate them. i am in the latter

They're on offer at Scottoiler 20% off and a free double lube thingy....hhmmmm tempted!

Steve
Spring 2011 I fitted a Scottoiler to my '02 F650GS; to date there's been no issues with debris (sand/dirt/etc) sticking, and 18 months later I've just finished the 500ml oil bottle that came with the kit. As for the chain, it's in tip-top condition, even when serviced or during the MOT there's no report of it needing adjustment either.

As for fitting, I took an afternoon doing that; albeit I was uber 'anal' on its routing, resevour fixing point, etc. I can take pics of the full install if you want them; this will include detailing the Vac-pick off point and the location of the resevoir, usage of sleeving down the frame and swinging arm to act as a conduit (I've still got spare sleeving, should you want to get one and install in the same way). All in all, the install looks natty and quite tactile, and is Very functional from a worry-free perspective :thumb

-Andy

Similar to Andy above, I have fitted one to previous dakars and also to my x challenge. Hardest part is getting the rubber inlet manifold off to drill, but even that is not that bad.

An easy afternoon or evening should have it sorted, though you may have to order the vac take off 1st.

Full instructions are downloadable from their website.

Good luck.

Steve
Spring 2011 I fitted a Scottoiler to my '02 F650GS; to date there's been no issues with debris (sand/dirt/etc) sticking, and 18 months later I've just finished the 500ml oil bottle that came with the kit. As for the chain, it's in tip-top condition, even when serviced or during the MOT there's no report of it needing adjustment either.

As for fitting, I took an afternoon doing that; albeit I was uber 'anal' on its routing, resevour fixing point, etc. I can take pics of the full install if you want them; this will include detailing the Vac-pick off point and the location of the resevoir, usage of sleeving down the frame and swinging arm to act as a conduit (I've still got spare sleeving, should you want to get one and install in the same way). All in all, the install looks natty and quite tactile, and is Very functional from a worry-free perspective :thumb

-Andy

Thank's Andy, that's the kind of thing i was looking for, someone who's run with one of these over a period of time to see how it performs. I'm going to place my order and go for the Vacuum kit. If you can pm me some photo's of your install, all the better.
Anything that negates manual chain maintenance for the main part and increases chain and sprocket life has to be a good thing. If it doubles chain life it's paid for itself. With the best will in the world, i'm not sure everyone lubes a chain when it needs it, which in truth is maybe really every 100 miles anyway with lube fling and bad weather etc. At least this is a constant source of oil by the drip drip method for the chain.
Thanks again Andy.:thumb

Google 'tutoro'. This is a chain oiler system which I purchased about a month ago and would recommend. There are two basic systems, one is a mechanical pumped system and the other a gravity feed system, which is what i use.
It comprises an plastic tube, rather like a test tube, with a small 'tap' thereon. The tube is fixed to a frame tube or similar and a plastic tube is run to the rear drive sprocket into a single or double nozzle. the idea is that you fill the tube with oil, open the tap to a point where the drip rate is as you want, and gravity allows the oil to run down the pipe to the nozzles which deliver oil to the sprocket/chain.

In my experience, once you get the drip rate right, it works very well. You need to remember to turn it off at the end of the ride, but that ain't no hardship for me. A bright orange remeinder sticker is provided, and worst case scenario is that a small puddle of oil is left under the bike. The tube holds about 300 miles worth of oil.

the downside of this system is the limited capacity.

The upside is that it is very simple with little to go wrong, and it cost me £23 including postage. I am happy with that!

HTH :thumb

I fitted one to a F650 i had it doubles chain and sprocket life at the very minimum also prevents tight spots in the chain which gives a smoother quieter ride.
It will only fling oil when it is feeding too much so start at a minimum feed of two drips per minute use that as your datum mark the feed valve and adjust from there until it starts to fling oil then mark the valve again and reduce the feed.
:rtfm and dont assume it needs a lot of oil to do the job that is where most of the critics get it wrong.

Another one fitted here. Anything that extends the chain life and makes maintenance easier is good in my book. :thumb You can just squeeze it into the space under the seat on the left had side at the front. Can post a pic if you need one as it's still in bits at the moment.

Personally I don't bother with them.
On my F650GS I use wax / oil for the chain but just whatever is to hand.
I've done 9,000 miles with one chain adjustment, and that was only because the wheel was off to fit a new tyre.
So I don't really see the point.

+1 for fitting a scottoiler to every road bike i own.the oil is easier to clean off of wheels etc. than sticky chain lube,only time you need to touch the chain adjusters is when you take the back wheel out for tyre changes etc. the chain and sprocket life should be trebled at least.the dual injector will go through the rear sprocket at some point,personally i would sell it on without going to the trouble of fitting it.the touring resovoir is a good buy,saves filling up as often so no need to carry a bottle of oil for long foreign tours.

I've got a jock oiler fitted to all of my bikes with a chain - except the XCountry I've just got, & that's on me 'to do' list :D

Like they say - it at the least trebles chain & sprocket life, & even off road helps to keep the chain clean, as the crap washes off with the oil.

Don't rate the dual injectors though, as they clog up too easily

Oh dear.....................:blast:blush

After my lad bought his 650 Dakar, i liked it so i bought one.
We will be doing the Chuck and Bob go south into europe next spring/early summer.

Can anyone guess what my bike's got that my lad's has'nt ????:eek::augie

Fitted one to my '96 carburetted Funduro but became very hard to start when hot. Ended up making a 0.5mm orifice and fitting it next to the carb in the vacuum line to the scottoiler, cured the starting problem.

Mine arrived yesterday and I fitted it last night.

Bought the universal spigot as directed in the list of bike fitments but when I downloaded and printed off the bike specific fitting instructions it said the spigot is supplied free of charge.
Quick email to scottoiler and the refund was issued. Great price and service.

+1 for Tutoro, I fitted the new automatic version to my Sertao, no vacuum connections required, no need to turn it on and off and all done in about 20 mins, works as well as any scottoiler I've had in the past and less than half the price.

Back
Top Bottom