Drivetrain slack.

steadysteve

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Got an R1200RT, '05 model, 6500 miles, been in for all the annual checks but 'overdue' the 6k service due to it having all the oils done at 3500miles.
Can anyone advise what is normal for slack/freeplay in the drivetrain?
With the bike on the centrestand and in gear there is about 5-6 inches of freeplay measured at the bottom of the wheel which, to my mind, seems excessive.
The gearbox itself is smooth but the slack is noticeable when moving in slow traffic and constantly on and off the clutch. No other symptoms to suggest anything is wrong but it seems a bit suspect to me.
Cheers

I'll not bother checking the exact slack I have in the drive train but mine's the same in traffic, cluck click every trip when very slow, you need to feather the clutch to smooth it out

I'm going to pretend you said 5cms , and not inches, which is exactly the same as my 2012 1200GS.

I mentioned this to the dealer long before the first 1000 miles were up..."they all do that sir..."

For me it's the only blot on the otherwise best bike I have ever had.

Thanks for the replies. Yeah, 5cms measured at the bottom of the wheel. Suppose if "they all do that" gonna have to put up with it. Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom