Off on a Harley tour next week...

Jason P

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Me and the Missus (and my FIL and partner) are off touring Arizona on Harleys next week... :JB

Never really ridden one before in anger, I think we're on ElectraGlides. Going with these chaps as FIL did the northern tour last year and loved it, so we're doing the southern one next. First holiday in about 10 years so much needed. Should be fun!

And maybe I'll be a convert on my return...

I'll post some pics when I get back!

Jason

One small tip, you don't ride Harley's in anger.... if you do then you'll 'miss IT' :thumb

No, bad turn of phrase there Paul. I'm sure I'll be taking it easy in a crusing stylee... mind you, had a friend with a Road King once and he regularly showed me a clean pair of heels (I had a VFR at the time)... I was amazed at how he threw this beast around.

Anyway, hopefully I'll well and truly 'get it'!

No, bad turn of phrase there Paul. I'm sure I'll be taking it easy in a crusing stylee.... Anyway, hopefully I'll well and truly 'get it'!
Good man :thumb2

If you have it for a week it will go something like this:-
  • Day 1 - What a heap of crap these things are, they don't go, they don't stop and they shake your fillings out.
  • Day 2 - Hmmm, actually I'm beginning to like this....
  • Day 3 - Yeah I could really get into this.
  • Day 4 - Hey Mrs P, I really like these and your kitchen extension will have to wait cuz I'm buying one when I get home :D
  • Day 5 - You're now a convert and can't wait to get back home and buy one.
  • Back home - We find you permanently lurking about in this section :D

Bon Voyage – Have a great time.

Just as a side thought though. No matter how tempting, no matter how much it seems like a good idea at the time (seeing as you are thousands of miles away from home, nobody knows you there and "Well, this is the US after all!"). Try and resist going down this route. Photos do have a tendency of finding their way to people who will take the piss with no shred of mercy! :D:D:D

Attachments

• DSC_0008-web.jpg
    DSC_0008-web.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 270
One small tip, you don't ride Harley's in anger.... if you do then you'll 'miss IT' :thumb

Rubbish...they're made to be ridden like a hooligan...:D

Practice that supercilious smirk as you fly through the middle of everyone...only you will know it's 'cause you haven't quite got to grips with the "extra" effort required to control a Harley in full flow....

Bon Voyage – Have a great time.

Just as a side thought though. No matter how tempting, no matter how much it seems like a good idea at the time (seeing as you are thousands of miles away from home, nobody knows you there and "Well, this is the US after all!"). Try and resist going down this route. Photos do have a tendency of finding their way to people who will take the piss with no shred of mercy! :D:D:D

So, the one in the middle isn't you then? :D

two things ,they must have a combined age of 765 ,and ill get the piss taken out of me for saying this ,but this chaps thing ,i am looking for something practical to wear over jeans .
i know its wrong ,in every sense ,but no ,i cant ill look like a gay cowboy .

but ,i might just try some on

two things ,they must have a combined age of 765 ,and ill get the piss taken out of me for saying this ,but this chaps thing ,i am looking for something practical to wear over jeans .

Well......I've got some :augie There now I've said it, that's it, out of the chaps closet :ymca2

They're just plain thick cowhide. I had them made by a local saddle-maker over twenty years ago. They're the same as the ones they make for horse riders but shiny side out instead of suede.

I haven't worn them this century, yet, but I might dust them off one day. They are ideal for long continental trips in hot weather and you can whip 'em off really quickly when you need to.......

Good man :thumb2

If you have it for a week it will go something like this:-
  • Day 1 - What a heap of crap these things are, they don't go, they don't stop and they shake your fillings out.
  • Day 2 - Hmmm, actually I'm beginning to like this....
  • Day 3 - Yeah I could really get into this.
  • Day 4 - Hey Mrs P, I really like these and your kitchen extension will have to wait cuz I'm buying one when I get home :D
  • Day 5 - You're now a convert and can't wait to get back home and buy one.
  • Back home - We find you permanently lurking about in this section :D

Pretty accurate bar Day - 1 unless you've gone for a bargin rental and have landed one from 1976.

You'll be surprised, your Glide will stop well, go fast enough and be reliable [famous last words:rolleyes:].

It'll be the smoothest bike you've ridden too.........really.

Have a good one, you can't fail to really.

So, the one in the middle isn't you then? :D

Yes, don't you remember I'm the one holding your hand in the pic! :D

FFS Just leave it Dave! :D

Well......I've got some :augie There now I've said it, that's it, out of the chaps closet :ymca2

I haven't worn them this century, yet, but I might dust them off one day. They are ideal for long continental trips in hot weather and you can whip 'em off really quickly when you need to.......

Yeah I bet you can get em off reeeeaaaaalll quick when the situation calls for it! :D

im edging ever closer to the chaps thing ,actually dave ,i might check out the horse riding ones ,dont think they will be so :ymca2

YA THINK???????

Now look. No offence fellas but chaps look completely absurd on anyone outside of the Midwest USA who is not on a horse. Now I mean this in the nicest possible way :augie but chaps on a middle aged Brit Harley rider doesn't just suggest mid life crisis it is the very fucking definition of the word.

Although I guess they are cheaper than buying a Ferarri and probably less hassle than a 20 year old girl. So I guess if it is something you really need to do in life, well, go ahead. I'm only trying to save you from yourselves.

And, please, spare me the old "yes but they are really practical" schpeel. You know as well as I do it ranks way down the list of the reasons for buying a pair. Would you wear a pair on the GS as they are so practical? No, of course not because it would look absurd. Well guess what? Changing the brand of motorcycle you are sat on will not make it look any less absurd.

Jeeeesssssuuuuuus. Anybody wanna buy a Harley????? :D:D:D

Mr Negativity

Ok, Now I realise my previous post was a little on the negative side. So by way of trying to salvage something positive from a possibly humiliating mistake, here are some overtrousers that are probably 100x more practical than chaps. They are made by Aerostitch and are not cheap but will be damn fine quality.

http://www.aerostich.com/jackets-pants/darien/darien-pants.html

The only downside I can see is they do not have instant access to the old rusty bullet hole (which will most likely end up looking like a butchers dustbin if you wear chaps in the wrong place or time)

Only trying to help. :D ;)

Ok, Now I realise my previous post was a little on the negative side. So by way of trying to salvage something positive from a possibly humiliating mistake, here are some overtrousers that are probably 100x more practical than chaps. They are made by Aerostitch and are not cheap but will be damn fine quality.

http://www.aerostich.com/jackets-pants/darien/darien-pants.html

The only downside I can see is they do not have instant access to the old rusty bullet hole (which will most likely end up looking like a butchers dustbin if you wear chaps in the wrong place or time)

Only trying to help. :D ;)
OK you MAY have gone some way to convincing me not to dig 'em out, dust 'em off and give 'em a run out.

So, maybe I'll sell them. Only used on two long comfortable 'European' rides. Nice and clean, no unsightly stains or nuffin:augie

Not in the For Sale section yet though, just in case a trend is starting.....

As mentioned elsewhere, I use black underwear ( aka black jeans ) with mine. Not so easy to actually see the chaps! :thumb2

OK you MAY have gone some way to convincing me not to dig 'em out, dust 'em off and give 'em a run out.

So, maybe I'll sell them. Only used on two long comfortable 'European' rides. Nice and clean, no unsightly stains or nuffin:augie

Not in the For Sale section yet though, just in case a trend is starting.....

As mentioned elsewhere, I use black underwear ( aka black jeans ) with mine. Not so easy to actually see the chaps! :thumb2

Please, don't let me put anyone off! :clap :beerjug:

yes i know its wrong ,and i know your right ,if you are a cowboy ,they look good, and just to cap it off ,im going to buy a pair and use them on my push bike ,but never on the harley .
ive gone off the idea now ,and no ,before you say it ,im not fickle .

yes i know its wrong ,and i know your right ,if you are a cowboy ,they look good, and just to cap it off ,im going to buy a pair and use them on my push bike ,but never on the harley .
ive gone off the idea now ,and no ,before you say it ,im not fickle .

:jes Now look, don't sulk. It's just my opinion and admittedly I do like to voice it. Dave, get yourself some chaps. I think you'll look simply fab! :D

Back
Top Bottom