DIY luggage rack

Fanum

Toubab
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Ok, I know some people hate top boxes, but I want to be able to use one that I already had for my daily commute.

The silly little rack on the back of the K100 series is hopeless- it's almost perpendicular, too small and just no good for anything other than a Kriega US5 with your sarnies in , so I decided today that I had to make something up for some luggage as I'm riding to Exter on Saturday

P1030641-L.jpg

Using my old top box plate and the OEM K rack, I cut up a bit of 90 degree steel angle and bolted it to the front face of the OEM rack.......if you use thin Nylocks, you can get them into the channel behind the tie down slots :thumb2

P1030639-XL.jpg

P1030638-L.jpg

then a couple of plates of galvanised 3mm steel cut roughly to size and bolted into place....

P1030643-L.jpg

Bring out the big sparky machine.......

P1030646-L.jpg

Tighten everything up and fetch the rattle can :thumb

P1030648-L.jpg

Ok, it's a bit crude and basic, but for an hour's mucking about and a bit of scrap metal, I'm actually quite happy with the result :)

P1030650-XL.jpg

P1030652-XL.jpg

P1030651-L.jpg

Next week I shall be using a pair of Valerie Singleton'e knickers and a toilet roll tube to make a centre stand :thumb2

Don't let Vern see that welding Bill :D The pigeons have landed:eek:

You need to shoot the pigeon that keeps shitting on your bracket

As a time served welder fabricator I have to say that's as bad as I've seen:D

:D

Hey, it works, it's solid and the welding is (practically) invisible :thumb2

I sat on the rack to make sure, so that matches Vern's piccy of him standing in his panniers :rob

:D

Hey, it works, it's solid and the welding is (practically) invisible :thumb2

I sat on the rack to make sure, so that matches Vern's piccy of him standing in his panniers :rob

If you've sat on it at least you got the angles right:D

That little rack will happily take a bigger capacity roll bag than any top box you're likely to mount.

Is the rack not screwed back on in the final photo Bill? Or is it at a pissed angle for another reason?

Oh and I reckon that Val's knickers would be better used as a replacement seat cover. :D

That little rack will happily take a bigger capacity roll bag than any top box you're likely to mount.

Is the rack not screwed back on in the final photo Bill? Or is it at a pissed angle for another reason?

Oh and I reckon that Val's knickers would be better used as a replacement seat cover. :D

One of those little rubbery feet was misplaced and not fitted on that photo.....It wasn't all fully tightened either :augie

And yes, the seat cover is on the list of things to do, but I'm starting with safety and practicality....It will be some time before I get to Aesthetics :blast :D

In the mean time, I'm keeping the knickers in a ziplocked bag, next to Lesley Judd's saddle and Yvette Fielding's pasties :JB

Bill a wee Note just for a heads up

If you fit a 36 litre or so box just watch yourself at speed it's a bit of a ST1300 scenario If you fit a big box on the back of one of these

my E46 when fitted on the wee raised adapter plate made the tail wiggle a bit solo over 75 ish ;)

Forewarned is fore-armed!

PS tyre pressures very important too with these

Do NOT rely on the old books check the manufacturers online websites for up to date pressures

Bill a wee Note just for a heads up

If you fit a 36 litre or so box just watch yourself at speed it's a bit of a ST1300 scenario If you fit a big box on the back of one of these

my E46 when fitted on the wee raised adapter plate made the tail wiggle a bit solo over 75 ish ;)

Forewarned is fore-armed!

PS tyre pressures very important too with these

Do NOT rely on the old books check the manufacturers online websites for up to date pressures

Thanks for that :thumb2

I'm taking the top box in tomorrow, so it will be subjected to speeds of almost 40mph :augie

75? Never sir :rob

:toungincheek

Bill, have i told you your bike has K75C bars and a RT top yolk.

Back
Top Bottom