New owner

Rod

Reaction score
I'm just selling my 2010 Multistrada 1200S Sport after two years and 20,500 almost trouble free miles......... and am picking up on Saturday a new 2012 R1200RT SE in Fluid Grey. When I change bikes I like to try something different !
Been riding for 20 plus years and never had a tourer. Have had a couple of GS's in the past, and like the boxer engine, but the DOHC version feels a good improvement. Have ordered a nice Arrow titanium end can to release a bit more burble (the new GS's sound great stock but the RT is just too quiet !) and am also switching out the delivery tyres for the new Metzler Z8's, for a nominal chge.
I'm looking forward to getting it......... :))
Getting it through Bahnstormer, and want to give them a big thumbs up, a great dealership !!

You'll love the RT. Ive had a few and to be honest one of the best all rounders you will find.

Bahnstormer, good choice of dealer. I know the technicians there, very good lads all of them.

Enjoy

You have made a great choice of the RT. I have a 2010 Polar Blue one and just smile all the time I ride it. The twin cam engine is an improvement but I am not sure about the ESA. :clap

Well picked it up yesterday from Bahnstormer. The weather was perfect and did it's first 125 miles. Been out again today for another 100 plus miles........
I know all new bikes are great, and the first few thousand miles are viewed through rose tinted glasses, but so far this bike is a real surprise. The handling is verging on telepathic. Have found ESA setting 'Solo with luggage' is best for spirited solo riding, and the ergo's are great. The DOHC engine is very smooth, and when wound up goes well enough. The Z8 tyres give great confidence, and a nice ride.
Hopefully my titanium Arrow can will arrive this week to release a bit more boxer burble :))
I'm really looking forward to my annual trip to the Alpes next year.

Oh dear, did I say the first few thousand miles are viewed through rose tinted glasses.......... !!
I've just been out riding on bumpy back roads/country lanes, and I can't believe how bad the suspension is ! I tried every combination of solo, luggage, comfort, normal, sport, and it was just terrible !
On decent surfaces the handling & cornering is very good, but throw in some bad roads and it's terrible. It was like riding a bucking rodeo bull !
Looks like the love affair has only lasted 250 miles......:blast
I wish I had waited for the new GS or even the new KTM Adventure. My Multistrada 1200S was soooo much better :mad:

Oh dear, did I say the first few thousand miles are viewed through rose tinted glasses.......... !!
I've just been out riding on bumpy back roads/country lanes, and I can't believe how bad the suspension is ! I tried every combination of solo, luggage, comfort, normal, sport, and it was just terrible !
On decent surfaces the handling & cornering is very good, but throw in some bad roads and it's terrible. It was like riding a bucking rodeo bull !
I wish I had waited for the new GS or even the new KTM Adventure. My Multistrada 1200S was soooo much better :mad:
I'll give you a fiver for it :aidan

Get it checked. Sounds like something is wrong. Mine dealt with some crap roads in France a couple of weeks ago, loaded with luggage, as well as anything I've ridden.

I don't mean to be insulting, but check your tyre pressures. The bike will behave as you describe over bumps if the tyres are under-inflated. Forget the standard solo settings recommended by BMW and go for 36psi front and 42 rear.

Get it checked. Sounds like something is wrong. Mine dealt with some crap roads in France a couple of weeks ago, loaded with luggage, as well as anything I've ridden.

I don't mean to be insulting, but check your tyre pressures. The bike will behave as you describe over bumps if the tyres are under-inflated. Forget the standard solo settings recommended by BMW and go for 36psi front and 42 rear.

OK, I had put the tyre pressures at 32/36 as per BMW for solo riding, will put them back to 36/42.
I do wonder though if it is set up primarily for two up riding with luggage. Perhaps more weight on board works better. That would be a problem for me as I never take a pillion and when I do a 10 day tour I don't overpack.
Anyway, thanks for the recommendation and will pump up the tyres......:beerjug:
Will report back.....

Good luck mate. I think you'll find the 36/42 much better than the 32/36. Most of the riding I do is solo without luggage and the 32/36 doesn't work for me at all.

Almost certainly the insecure feeling is due to tyre pressures being on the low side. I am lucky enough to have both GSA & RT, & if anything I'm more conficent at speed on the RT. Let us know how you get on.

Rod,

I recently purchased a pre owned 2010 RT SE after having a 2007 GSA.

I found/find the suspension to be pretty harsh, it felt like there was no suspension.........so much so that after having it a couple of weeks took it back to the dealer I bought it from (who said it was OK) and another dealer for a second opinion (who also said it was OK).

I can notice no difference whatsoever when I have it set to sport/normal or comfort (I only ever ride one up so that is set accordingly). This is not how I recall loan bikes I have ridden.

Anyway........I have persisted and seem to have got used to it. All I can assume is that my memory was playing tricks on me re the loan bikes and it is just so different from the GSA (ie a stiffer ride) that it was the difference between the two that made me think something was wrong.

I will get another RT loaner next April when mine goes in for a service and compare it back to back against that.

Time will tell, but as I said I do think I am getting used to it.

Almost certainly the insecure feeling is due to tyre pressures being on the low side. I am lucky enough to have both GSA & RT, & if anything I'm more conficent at speed on the RT. Let us know how you get on.

Thanks Martin, but there is no insecure feeling or lack of confidence, the ride is just terribly harsh & jerky, as if it's lacking damping. Nothing like as good as good quality regular suspension.

Good luck mate. I think you'll find the 36/42 much better than the 32/36. Most of the riding I do is solo without luggage and the 32/36 doesn't work for me at all.

Rode it again with 36/42 and it is an improvement. In comfort/solo it's bearable
but still quite harsh and jerky. Taking it back to the dealers tomorrow, but I'm sure they will say they're all like that ! Reckon I can feel a new GS or Multistrada coming on.......but will the new suspension on the GS be any better, I know the Multistrada's will be. I guess I'll keep the RT until I can test ride both, and perhaps by then I'll have got used to the RT anyway....... !!
Have to say the bend swinging on the RT is excelent.

Don't accept the dealer saying they're all like that! The bike wouldn't be known as the best tourer in the world if it had such crap performance on less-than-perfect roads. Ask to take their demonstrator out for a spin to make a direct comparison.

Best of luck :thumb2

Was out on mine this afternoon, its like a bloody magic carpet, something must be seriously wrong with your suspension...

Rode it again with 36/42 and it is an improvement. In comfort/solo it's bearable
but still quite harsh and jerky. Taking it back to the dealers tomorrow, but I'm sure they will say they're all like that ! Reckon I can feel a new GS or Multistrada coming on.......but will the new suspension on the GS be any better, I know the Multistrada's will be. I guess I'll keep the RT until I can test ride both, and perhaps by then I'll have got used to the RT anyway....... !!
Have to say the bend swinging on the RT is excelent.
OK so admit it, you bought the wrong bike.....why don't you just buy the Multistrada? you obviously aren't going to be happy until you do :blagblah

Don't accept the dealer saying they're all like that! The bike wouldn't be known as the best tourer in the world if it had such crap performance on less-than-perfect roads. Ask to take their demonstrator out for a spin to make a direct comparison.

Best of luck :thumb2

That's a good bit of advice, but having helped run-in 7 new T/cams earlier this year, I couldn't describe any of them as harsh. Suspension does free up like all components, but shouldn't be excessively harsh in the first place. As a matter of interest, what tyres was it delivered on?

That's a good bit of advice, but having helped run-in 7 new T/cams earlier this year, I couldn't describe any of them as harsh. Suspension does free up like all components, but shouldn't be excessively harsh in the first place. As a matter of interest, what tyres was it delivered on?

It's on the new Z8's.

Took the bike back to the dealers today, guess what.......faulty rear shock.
Now being replaced........ disappointed but also relieved !!
Sorry KennyC looks like I might keep it !!

Back
Top Bottom