Removing barrel in topbox

Hoseman

Reaction score
Hi stupidly bought a used RT topbox from ebay assuming it would be a simples job for dealer to change key barrels. I dont have the key & it is in the open position, tried to get key from seller - no joy, tried dealer - not interested without original key, tried the usual solution:

http://www.ebbo.org/re_keying.php

No joy as this will only work if barrel in locked postion. Tried other keys screw drivers penknives etc - no joy
looking at disessembly (dealer advised not good idea) of topbox or drilling out as only solution although found a couple experiences of these online and it doenst seem to end well.
anybody got any ideas??

Should have bought it with the key Hoseman:blast. Have you tried a locksmith or is this the disaster that you allude to in your post. And have you got your K1600 in to Jeffries yet? You will need to get things sorted prior to our trip next year? :beerjug:

Same here

Thought it was only me did that trick!! I got the same dealer response although i think the labour cost for them to start dismantling would make it uneconomical.
Didn't fancy the 'drilling it out option' as two locksmiths and the dealer told me it could result in the box being destroyed.
I ended up giving it to a mechanic to sort out and basically he dismantled it by removing the lid(easy enough, just unscrew the hinges) and all the screws in the base followed by the handle mechanism.
It took a fair while to do but basically just nuts/ bolts/ screws and make sure you note how it comes apart/ take photos etc as i think the mechanism is fairly intricate and fiddly. Proceed as shown on the guide on this forum (the ebbo one) once you have got the barrel out to re-code to your key.
After seeing how it came apart i wished i had tackled it myself and saved a few quid. Hey ho.

There is an answer, I cant PM you though?
cheers think you can now.

Did see this but think the RT topbox is completely different beast.

Thought it was only me did that trick!! I got the same dealer response although i think the labour cost for them to start dismantling would make it uneconomical.
Didn't fancy the 'drilling it out option' as two locksmiths and the dealer told me it could result in the box being destroyed.
I ended up giving it to a mechanic to sort out and basically he dismantled it by removing the lid(easy enough, just unscrew the hinges) and all the screws in the base followed by the handle mechanism.
It took a fair while to do but basically just nuts/ bolts/ screws and make sure you note how it comes apart/ take photos etc as i think the mechanism is fairly intricate and fiddly. Proceed as shown on the guide on this forum (the ebbo one) once you have got the barrel out to re-code to your key.
After seeing how it came apart i wished i had tackled it myself and saved a few quid. Hey ho.
Might have go myself but it will be the last resort. thanks

Maybe drill it out at my place, I'm in York, only a few miles away. I tried taking my box apart and gave up

Finally got round to drilling out barrel, followed some guidance from a American forum. Used 8mm hss drill bit down centre of key barrel to a depth of 1 inch. Then used the paper clip method to depress the locking wafer and the drilled barrel dropped out. New barrel installed & re-keyed, piece of cake.

Back
Top Bottom