The new 1200 - will there be an adventure variant at all?

Deleted account 211025001

Reaction score
I mentioned this in one of the many threads on the new bike but nobody bit......

I may well have imagined it but I'm sure one of the many rumours pre-launch was that there would not be a distinct Adv model but that there were to be a bigger variety of factory fit options that would effectively allow you to 'adventurise' the base GS as you saw fit -has anybody else heard this :nenau

Andres

Dealer told me a year ago that you would have the option to adventurise yourself!

David

Rumours are worth nothing.....this was 'going to be' a 1250 :rolleyes:

No dealer is going to talk about an Adv version, because it might put people off buying the vanilla dinky one.........so they'll even encourage that rumour until BANG, in a year or less, suddenly the new Adv version will be announced :blast

There's no way they're not going to make one......just look at the sales figures :thumb

Yesterday's mcn paper has a 4 page spread on the new one no mention of what your going to be paying for it or what is going to be classed as extra:flag

Rumours are worth nothing.....this was 'going to be' a 1250 :rolleyes:

No dealer is going to talk about an Adv version, because it might put people off buying the vanilla dinky one.........so they'll even encourage that rumour until BANG, in a year or less, suddenly the new Adv version will be announced :blast

There's no way they're not going to make one......just look at the sales figures :thumb

I totally get what you're saying...........but.............from a production point of view I'd imagine it's make sense to WMB; every bike is built to order whether it's a vanilla bike plus the 'arse wipe' pack or a vanilla bike plus the 'Adv' pack. It's a good way of maximising profit for them and something that is now common place in the four wheeled world these days :nenau

Not saying it's gonna happen but, well, I wouldn't rule it out...............

Andres

I totally get what you're saying...........but.............from a production point of view I'd imagine it's make sense to WMB; every bike is built to order whether it's a vanilla bike plus the 'arse wipe' pack or a vanilla bike plus the 'Adv' pack. It's a good way of maximising profit for them and something that is now common place in the four wheeled world these days :nenau

Andres

The ADV doesn't come from a different production line or anything- they all roll off the same line, but different bits from different bins are selected.

So it makes zero difference if it's a vanilla with a blue scheme, a pink one with foglights and the pro computer of the version with longer shocks, bigger tank and ADV badges on it...

I seriously can't see BMW not making one- to some, they are 'Special' and a different bike- I have no idea how many people will buy the 1200WC this year and then next year, buy the Adv version, but I would put money on it happening.

Andres

BMW aren't going to miss an opportunity to sell basically the same bike with a few extras attached for a huge mark up. Plus how long is every worldwide customer going to want to wait for their own individually specced bike...

Just being able to tick the boxes yourself will miss out on the walk in sales for a vanilla GS who then see the ADV model and with a bit of juggling with the finance figures from the salesmen can walk out with an ADV version for the same monthly payments, albeit for a year longer :D

B. Plus how long is every worldwide customer going to want to wait for their own individually specced bike...

All of the bikes are already made to individual order Neil.......either from a custoner or from a dealership who has ordered an 'average' bike in what options they think they can best sell.

It's quite impressive watching the production lines at Spandau- each frame has a bar code on it with its precise spec, and no two consecutive bikes are the same (unless they happen to be ordered the same by coincidence, or as a batch)

At each station along the line, a different bit is fitted , having been sent automatically to that station by the bar code being scanned at the previous one, so it takes no more time for ten totally different bikes to be made than ten absolutely identical bikes to be made.

Very cunnink, zese Germans, nein?

Spandau is indeedy well worth a visit. I took Mrs Baps there for her birthday a few years back. It must have been memorable as she still mentions it now!:augie

they won't want to give up the Adventure name/concept IMO.

All of the bikes are already made to individual order Neil.......either from a custoner or from a dealership who has ordered an 'average' bike in what options they think they can best sell.

So why do BMW announce new colour schemes annually. Or the recent rallye, anniversary and tripple black colour schemes.
You can pick your colour, but only from a narrow range. Same as it's always been. And the plastics are colour molded, not sprayed.

The dealers order whatever the stock colours are at that present time.
They won't order a lemoncurd and graphite model with a leapord skin seat as the chances are it'll sit in the showroom for a while.
The less colour options (within reason), the simplier the selling process, for both dealer and customer.

So why do BMW announce new colour schemes annually. Or the recent rallye, anniversary and tripple black colour schemes.
You can pick your colour, but only from a narrow range. Same as it's always been. And the plastics are colour molded, not sprayed.

Yes, but they (or a customer via a dealer order) can order any bike IN THE COLOURS AVAILABLE AT THAT TIME (which as you say, is in a narrow range)

They might only have 4 different colour bins for parts, in 2 different designs (vanilla or Adv sizes) but that's 8 different picking bins for each part that might vary.

The assembly is part robotised, part Helmut Von Cheese manned...all with scanners etc

At the very end of the line is a booth where another Helmut Cheese sits all day on a rolling road, plugging each bike into the OBD2 system as it comes off the line,starting them up, going up through every gear at full throttle whilst flashing lights, indicating and sounding the horn, then whacking on the brakes at full pressure.....any bike that fails in any of the parameters goes to another bay to be rectified.

So much for running in procedures by the book :augie

Standing outside that booth is very impressive......it only takes 30 seconds or so for each bike to pass through and he (or his sub) does it all day, every day :blast

Spandau is indeedy well worth a visit.....

I spent three or four happy days there, one Easter in the British Military Hospital.

I can definitely recommend it..... And doing a runner before they come around with the bill :augie

I spent three or four happy days there, one Easter in the British Military Hospital.

I can definitely recommend it..... And doing a runner before they come around with the bill :augie

Three days for the clap?

Man, you must have got it bad :blast

Tank on a new GSA?

When you look at the current tank on an Adventure be intresting on the new ADV (if it gets launched)

The new 2013 model has the rads and wind deflector "thing's" where the bigger tank is on the current model...so if launched, be interesting where and how the new tank will look :nenau

Who knows but the Adventure apparently accounts for nearly 50% of the bikes sold in the UK. Thats would be the GS bikes and not all bikes. There is supposed to be a special Touring version going on sale in the UK. Will this replace the Adventure? Probably unlikely in my humble. I get the feeling that the GS has moved more towards the road than previous. There are a few things on it that doesn't sit well in the dirt, the bigger tyres being one of them along with some of the electronic driver aids. As a result maybe the Adventure will go further to the offroad side of things and could be in some ways quite a different bike.
As said before though, its all just speculation and only BMW will know for sure what is going to happen.

Yes, but they (or a customer via a dealer order) can order any bike IN THE COLOURS AVAILABLE AT THAT TIME (which as you say, is in a narrow range)

So, no change from the present set up. :rolleyes: as i said.

They aren't going to change their whole factory and sales set up because a new GS model is being released.

News from the Vaterland.........The present Adventure will run for a nother year.
Or will it? Notice large tank. Come on Herr Flick,let us know:ronno

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 540

Back
Top Bottom