Dawson Street 1200 GS............

luke scott

Reaction score
A sign of the recession here perhaps ? I regularly park on dawson street and recently a 1200 gs with a "country" plate has turned up. The rear tyre is the baldest I have ever seen on a bike :eek: Seriously there is no thread / blocks left at all on the tyre. How the fu** does he commute with such a dangerous tyre ?

Periodic Vehicle Inspection would help sort this sort of behaviour.:hide

Even though I did the protest with Og & Mag recently I do agree with you. I shipped my lovely K1 to the UK on Saturday morning with Paddy Bannon of Biketrans and he was talking about the lack of an annual check and as a result the differences between Irish & UK bikes. :rob

Would it?

A neighbour sends his van for DOE inspection every year. The mechanic he uses puts a set of "loaner" tyres on it as part of the package and one of the seat belts hasn't worked in more than five years.

I'll be happy to send my bikes for vehicle inspection when we have meaningful vehicle inspection for all vehicles.

A neighbour sends his van for DOE inspection every year. The mechanic he uses puts a set of "loaner" tyres on it as part of the package and one of the seat belts hasn't worked in more than five years.

I'll be happy to send my bikes for vehicle inspection when we have meaningful vehicle inspection for all vehicles.

Apples & pears ......... I could never see anyone changing a rear wheel on a bike for a test :rolleyes: they would at that stage buy a tyre. But lets not wander too far off topic. This persons tyre was the baldest I have ever seen. It really looked like a racing slick tyre.

I think we are too good at looking at other people's transgressions. I don't want a unqualified person pokeing at my bike every year I'm sure the owner of the offending bike will replace the tyre. Lets face it you could pass a nct with your car today and be illegal in a week so less say a bulb fails on your way home. I'm not a fan. Jjh

I I don't want a unqualified person pokeing at my bike every year I'm sure the owner of the offending bike will replace the tyre. Lets face it you could pass a nct with your car today and be illegal in a week so less say a bulb fails on your way home. I'm not a fan. Jjh

I suspect the drones wont be "unqualified" :rolleyes:. And this particular bikes rear tyre will never pass a test.

Qualified I dont think so. Nct were employing unqualified people a few years ago and had to sack them when it came out. As for a motorcycle mechanic we dont seem to have a Fas or other reconised course in Irl.
Tyers go off very fast these days a marginal tyer rapidly goes off and I have been cought out by a tyer that shows a bit of thred suddenly shiwing canvas.
I fit my own tyers and if I wanted to fool a tester it would be very easy to swap a good tyer in for the test. I do agree with you about people deiving/riding around with defective tyers/lights/ect but a nct wont change that. look at all the one eyed bandits on the roads and if you say anything the usual answer is 'I know'. JJH

Qualified I dont think so. Nct were employing unqualified people a few years ago and had to sack them when it came out. As for a motorcycle mechanic we dont seem to have a Fas or other reconised course in Irl.
Tyers go off very fast these days a marginal tyer rapidly goes off and I have been cought out by a tyer that shows a bit of thred suddenly shiwing canvas.
I fit my own tyers and if I wanted to fool a tester it would be very easy to swap a good tyer in for the test. I do agree with you about people deiving/riding around with defective tyers/lights/ect but a nct wont change that. look at all the one eyed bandits on the roads and if you say anything the usual answer is 'I know'. JJH

the questions are
does he know his tyre is bald (if not he needs someone to tell him aka test)

can he not afford a new tyre (met a few friends during the week and 1 of the guys has just bought 4 second hand tyres from a polish guy who is importing them)if cannot afford a tyre he cannot afford a test and will ride without 1

can he not be arsed changing the tyre (well what can you say to that)

if cannot afford a tyre he cannot afford a test and will ride without 1

You beat me to it. That just about sums it up really.

I remember as a student riding on bald tyres for months because Norwich Union made sure I couldn't afford to replace them.

I literally had a choice of insure it or put tyres on it. I insured it. Not everyone did. Not everyone can.

All too easy to point the finger sometimes.

You beat me to it. That just about sums it up really.

I remember as a student riding on bald tyres for months because Norwich Union made sure I couldn't afford to replace them.

I literally had a choice of insure it or put tyres on it. I insured it. Not everyone did. Not everyone can.

All too easy to point the finger sometimes.

many years ago there was about ten of us used to go to rallys and places together,if we were coming near a checkpoint the ten would be come 2 on the road,2 of us had tax and insurance the rest kept there bikes going,could be going back to the early 80s

If there was an inspection that made a difference to safety - no one would argue that it made sense.
You'd expect countries with periodic inspections to have lower crash figures than countries without, right?
Wrong.
There is no discernible difference between those with and those without. So why have a test that is not fit for purpose?

It's about generating money / not improving safety.
The EU Commision impose regulation and Dekra* make a profit - that is all.

*Dekra provided the inflated figure of 8% of crashes due to technical failure. They just happen to be the company that does the vast majority of vehicle testing in Europe.

There is no discernible difference between those with and those without. So why have a test that is not fit for purpose?

It's about generating money / not improving safety.
The EU Commision impose regulation and Dekra* make a profit - that is all.

*Dekra provided the inflated figure of 8% of crashes due to technical failure. They just happen to be the company that does the vast majority of vehicle testing in Europe.

Very well put Og, yearly checks wouldn't stop that rider from using worn tyres, I've yet to get a year out of a tyre on any bike I use so he'd have used the tyre that passed till it was bald either way. It's just another way to rip us off and make biking less popular by making it more expensive.

I'm opposed to imposed vehicle testing for bikes, there isn't a problem there that needs fixing, there will always be people who push their luck but they are a small number..........

Back
Top Bottom