self cancelling indicaters

slimpickings

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Does any body have any info on how to fit self cancelling
indicators to an 1150 RT

Kisan SignalMinder SM-5 for most BMs. Comes with easy to understand fitting instructions too. Nippy supplies them in UK, I think.

Also several threads on here if you search. One of the best bits of kit on my bike :thumb2

My 2p worth.

The self cancelling indicators on my 1200 RT bug the life out of me. Correctly indicating to pull off the motorway at the 300 yard marker and they self cancel with 50m left to go. Also, they keep cancelling when going round a long roundabout.

They are the worst bit of kit on my RT. I wish that function could be disabled.

Regards

Rob C

You are entitled to your opinion

My 2p worth.

The self cancelling indicators on my 1200 RT bug the life out of me. Correctly indicating to pull off the motorway at the 300 yard marker and they self cancel with 50m left to go. Also, they keep cancelling when going round a long roundabout.

Regards

Rob C
But your'e Wrong!
I have no desire to put on indicators unneccessarily early, or to indicate whilst going straight on in a one way street, so I find them brilliant.
Anyway, just tap the button again at any point to refresh the cancel delay distance.
I have to ask, (from memory only):
Are the indicators on a 1250 not self cancelling as standard?
I thought they were on my 1100rt, but it's now 5 years ago, so I cannnot be sure.
Myke

But your'e Wrong!
I have no desire to put on indicators unneccessarily early, or to indicate whilst going straight on in a one way street, so I find them brilliant.
Anyway, just tap the button again at any point to refresh the cancel delay distance.
I have to ask, (from memory only):
Are the indicators on a 1250 not self cancelling as standard?
I thought they were on my 1100rt, but it's now 5 years ago, so I cannnot be sure.
Myke

Your memory fails you sir

You probably fitted a self cancel kit .... and have forgotten

:D

I find myself looking down to see if the indicator is flashing or not. That is a distraction I'd rather live without.
On my bike, pressing the indicator button again does not reset the delay.

Regards

Rob C

Does any body have any info on how to fit self cancelling
indicators to an 1150 RT

A stupid question - are you sure they aren't fitted already? :nenau

I looked into it for the R1100s, and discovered that they cancelled automatically (and I'd never noticed :rolleyes:)

Al

My 2p worth.

Regards

Rob C

Next time your bike is in for Service, & on the diagnostic kit, ask the tech to either extend or disable the self cancel function. Certainly up until 2010 model years this can be done. At the same time, should you wish, you can have the clock show 12 or 24 hour format, & the Tyre Pressure monitors read in PSI ( if fitted of course !)
The 1150's were a mechanical speedo, hence no auto-cancel; that's my understanding.

But your'e Wrong!
I have no desire to put on indicators unneccessarily early,

i thought 300m was the correct distance to indicate approaching a junction with markers etc..... :blagblah
thats not early?

Dead right. I've had them on several bikes and hate the dam things for the reasons previously stated. Your choice at the end of the day :beerjug:

A stupid question - are you sure they aren't fitted already? :nenau

I looked into it for the R1100s, and discovered that they cancelled automatically (and I'd never noticed :rolleyes:)

Al

No not fitted

They just flash flash flash flash flash flash

My last bike self cancelled

I can't believe how often I leave the buggers on:blast

But your'e Wrong!
I have no desire to put on indicators unneccessarily early,

i thought 300m was the correct distance to indicate approaching a junction with markers etc.....
thats not early?
I normally move into inside lane if not already in it sometime around or just after the 300 metre mark, and hit the indicator button sometime after that. Don't check particularly on where, but not at or before the 300 metre mark. The indicators stay on till at least the slip lane, and I don't need them after that, because my route is obvious.
Myke

Because they cancel when you are concentrating on a busy junction the signals you are giving are stopped without any command from you just when you need them. People taking info from your signals can get confused is he turning has he changed his mind?? What is he up to at all?? How would you feel if the brake light stopped working after a set time/distance regardless of weather you needed it or not. I still say it is dangerous. If there was some input from a sensor to tell the system that you had made the turn then that would be ok jjh

Next time your bike is in for Service, & on the diagnostic kit, ask the tech to either extend or disable the self cancel function. Certainly up until 2010 model years this can be done. At the same time, should you wish, you can have the clock show 12 or 24 hour format, & the Tyre Pressure monitors read in PSI ( if fitted of course !)
The 1150's were a mechanical speedo, hence no auto-cancel; that's my understanding.

Cheers Martyn. My local spanner guy already set my next service interval for something like 300,000 miles :augie I'm sure he can disable the indicator self cancel if I tell him it's possible. The tyre pressures were something else I wanted changed too. I speak PSI not bar :rolleyes:

I'm glad this stuff can be changed to fit the rider. Now, if only BMW had a factory fit option to allow the likes of me to buy a new bike and have the proper BMW indicator switches fitted........:blagblah (don't wish to restart that argument here)

Regards

Rob C

If I had self canceling indicators

I could concentrate ..more......... on other stuff

Like what? Listening to the radio or looking at yourself in the shop windows (Ive done that to) :thumb2

Leaving them on or them not being on when you thought they were are both dangerous IMO. If you are thinking about your riding then the non self cancelling are the less of two evils (so to speak). Manual gives a rider total control, but you do need to be concentrating....:beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom