K-Series (Brick) Clutch Cable Adjustment

MikeP

UKGSer of 2014 (Dead)
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'v always found that measuring the correct amount of exposed clutch cable at the actuator arm end to be bloody awkward on these bikes (except when the exhaust etc is off).

BMW say that the exposed amount of cable is 75 plus or minus 1 mm. Getting anything in there to measure is difficult so I decided to make a little tool to help.

Taking a piece of aluminium plate I drew and measured the shape I wanted:

K75S-155-M.jpg

The distance between the two points is 75 mm and the little projection on the top is 4 mm (for the clutch lever free play on the handlebar end).

Then with it cut out it's a simple matter of slackening the adjuster on the actuating arm at the clutch pushrod end:

K75S-157-M.jpg

Slipping the measuring tool into place:

K75S-158-M.jpg

The measurement is taken between the end of the cable at the end and the point at which it emerges from the sheath (I've removed the cable from the arm for the purposes of taking the pictures):

K75S-162-M.jpg

K75S-163-M.jpg

Adjustment to the correct length is done at the handlebar adjuster. Then the pushrod end bolt is done up until it's just bearing on the pushrod before the lock-nut is tightened.

Finally, the free-play at the lever can be adjusted and measured before the knurled lock is done up:

K75S-166-M.jpg

It's not the most elegant of tools but it does make it easier. :D

It's not the most elegant of tools but it does make it easier.
Damn sight more elegant than the 75mm length of clutch cable, with each end dipped in red paint (to stop fraying) that i use. :rolleyes:
Nicely done Mike - ta for posting. :thumb2

Mike, a thick cable tie cut to 75mm in length does the job. :D

Mike, a thick cable tie cut to 75mm in length does the job. :D
Ah ha!

I just knew that you'd have a more simple solution that you were keeping to yourself. This thread was just to flush out your hidden knowledge.

The ambush worked. :augie

:D

My god, thats so clean! :eek:
K75S-162-M.jpg

Oh! it's MikeP's :D

Nice gauge, I like it! :clap

Back
Top Bottom