All 2013 GS Beta Testers check this out!

could be true could be bollocks but I don't see why they would do anything so hugely different from what they do with their cars. The central computer would be no big deal and won't stop you maintaining your own bike. If they were to lock everyone out barring main dealers (remember it is euro law that you can get it serviced by anyone so long as its with oem parts) then they will have shot themselves in the foot. No doubt bikes could be incorporated into the OBD2 law that covers cars.
Personally I think its bollocks.

a bmw group dealer told me similar a few months back. i did mention it here :augie

It's almost certainly all true, but have another read of it :blast

On the 2013 R1200GS, all of the electronic pin connectors are secure- and require seven different proprietary tools to disconnect them. Attempts to disconnect the wires without the OEM tool destroys the connectors.

Ok, so they have some new design connectors and if you stick a fucking great screwdriver into them, you can shag them up.
There are seven sizes (fair enough, considering different uses, number of wires and amperages etc) and each has its own specific BMW tool....again, fair enough, but there's a BMW tool for pulling a coil plug lead from a twin spark 1150....I bet nobody has used theirs more than once :augie

On the 2013 R1200GS, like newer BMW models, the maintenance schedule is dictated by the on-board computer. The new R12, however, now gets connected to the new BMW service computer system at the dealer which has a server that talks directly to Munich. The corporate computer system in Munich, via the web, then disseminates what maintenance is to be done, what parts are required (by part number), catalogs the completion of the service, resets the on-board computer, and all records are kept by the BMW corporate computer system in Munich.

Pretty cool really......people have complained that a service carried out elsewhere in the BMW system hasn't been recorded...now it will be.
If you've only done 2000 miles this year, you will only need an annual service, but if you do 25k miles, your bike will be looked after in a different way...as you'd expect and hope, surely :nenau
This should not cause any issues for BMW customers who only wish an authorized BMW dealer to maintain their motorcycle.

For any prospective BMW owners who wish to do their own maintenance, use any part/product/chemical/accessory that is not OEM BMW, or have concerns about voiding their warranty- here's your heads up.

Heads up for what? that it won't cause them any problems either?

Where the fekk does any of the BMW stuff mention chemicals or accessories?
:blast

Utter scaremongering, telling the truth but putting it in a biased way and adding in implications from a paranoid or competitor's mind

And no, it doesn't mean I'm even considering thinking of buying a WC BMW......i still think they look crap, don't offer what I want and are overpriced, but that doesn't mean that the crap posted on the 'other forum' is right or shouldn't be beaten with a big stick.

:thumb

It's almost certainly all true, but have another read of it :blast

Ok, so they have some new design connectors and if you stick a fucking great screwdriver into them, you can shag them up.
There are seven sizes (fair enough, considering different uses, number of wires and amperages etc) and each has its own specific BMW tool....again, fair enough, but there's a BMW tool for pulling a coil plug lead from a twin spark 1150....I bet nobody has used theirs more than once :augie

Pretty cool really......people have complained that a service carried out elsewhere in the BMW system hasn't been recorded...now it will be.
If you've only done 2000 miles this year, you will only need an annual service, but if you do 25k miles, your bike will be looked after in a different way...as you'd expect and hope, surely :nenau

Heads up for what? that it won't cause them any problems either?

Where the fekk does any of the BMW stuff mention chemicals or accessories?
:blast

Utter scaremongering, telling the truth but putting it in a biased way and adding in implications from a paranoid or competitor's mind

And no, it doesn't mean I'm even considering thinking of buying a WC BMW......i still think they look crap, don't offer what I want and are overpriced, but that doesn't mean that the crap posted on the 'other forum' is right or shouldn't be beaten with a big stick.

:thumb

You sure have a lot to say considering that you don't like or want one of these bikes! :rob

Too much time on your hands maybe? Or do you own shares of BMW? :nenau

You sure have a lot to say considering that you don't like or want one of these bikes! :rob

Too much time on your hands maybe? Or do you own shares of BMW? :nenau

Same old bollocks......someone questions what you say so go on the attack on the person who did it :rolleyes:

Sorry if me having an opinion offends you...Actually, no I'm not.
:p

Same old bollocks......someone questions what you say so go on the attack on the person who did it :rolleyes:

Sorry if me having an opinion offends you...Actually, no I'm not.
:p

I didn't say it, the guy who posted it on the other forum did.

I accept your retracted apology though. :blagblah

I didn't say it, the guy who posted it on the other forum did.

So why get so sensitive about someone commenting on it then?

Are you an Emo kid?

I can do you a deal on a pallet of razor blades if you want some :thumb2

a bmw group dealer told me similar a few months back. i did mention it here :augie

I agree Cookie
A lot of it is happening now already via Canbus on BMW bikes

This is just the next stage in vertical integration back to the factory to secure the bikes & lock them down to the Motorrad network

Wouldn't worry me though, find a good dealer & stick with them, works for me

What Fanum said :thumb2

Interesting use of the term "corporate computer system in Munich" .... surely just a biased way of explaining that the dealer will now use a web link to get details about the bike they're working on! My local car repair guy buys into a web based computer system that enables him to enter the "vehicle identification number", a few details of the vehicle fault, and it then lists the possible parts neaded and the work likely to be done, along with the estimated time it'll take to do the job. It enables him to quote more accurately and avoid costly investigative work ... the bit we all hate and don't see results for.

I can see some truth behind this. My uncle is a car mechanic and he's ben saying for a while now that car's are becoming increasingly difficult for Indy garages to work on due to the computerisation of everything. I think there'll be a day when all cars and bikes can only be worked on by main dealers :rolleyes: When I had issues with my M3 a couple of years ago I was convinced the timing was out. I asked the dealer if he could alter it and they told me the only way they could do it was to plug it in and then it would be worked on by the computers is Germany :eek:

This doesn't bother me as I always use main dealer, but think you should be given the choice.

It's a pretty straight forward thing. BMW aren't daft. They will know and be aware of the rise of the independent servicing line, no doubt it is high on the agenda of the dealer community. Given there's so much said about revenue coming primarily from the servicing rather than sales element (not sure if it is true, but anyway..) it is hardly suprising that BMW will make it as difficult as possible for independents to gain the tools and the knowledge to be able to compete with their own dealership network.

Ultimately I am sure the technology will become available to the independent community at some point, maybe not at first- but these folks have businesses to run and there are businesses out there who are in business to create and sell on the necessary software and hardware. So, they will crack it, and it will become available. I remember being told ten years ago or so that independents wouldn't be able to do anything.. and the good 'uns seem to be doing ok..

Oh, and let's face it, there are plenty of existing bikes out there that will need looking after for some time to keep the indy folks going (how many BMW bikes are already on the road in the UK.. Enough)

If you're buying a new shiny WC let's consider it. On average you'll have the running in service if you can't get a deal on that with the bike, a 6k and a 12k. By then, 2 years in the independents will be up and running no doubt (if you haven't gone for the newer shinier one by then!) And three main dealer services shouldn't crush your plums if you're able to spend nigh on £13k on a new bike now, should it?

So why get so sensitive about someone commenting on it then?

Are you an Emo kid?

I can do you a deal on a pallet of razor blades if you want some :thumb2

Hey, I even put the disclaimer on my post saying I didn't know if it's true or not just for guys like you! Guess you can never please everybody. :(

Don't know what an Emo kid is, but if that was a complement, thanks!

Also, don't need any razor blades - I use an electric shaver, but I'll pass along your offer to my friends that use blades.

Thanks again and ride safe. :)

If you're buying a new shiny WC let's consider it. On average you'll have the running in service if you can't get a deal on that with the bike, a 6k and a 12k. By then, 2 years in the independents will be up and running no doubt (if you haven't gone for the newer shinier one by then!) And three main dealer services shouldn't crush your plums if you're able to spend nigh on £13k on a new bike now, should it?

Will still be 6k & 12K ? many have been pushing for longer service intervals and when you consider many cars are already on 20k service intervals.

The only thing that gets me with this, is the service due indicator light and not being able to get rid of it without a visit to the dealership.

Ultimately I am sure the technology will become available to the independent community at some point, maybe not at first- but these folks have businesses to run and there are businesses out there who are in business to create and sell on the necessary software and hardware. So, they will crack it, and it will become available. I remember being told ten years ago or so that independents wouldn't be able to do anything.. and the good 'uns seem to be doing ok..

OBD1 then OBD2 are the first two 'On Board Diagnostic' open standards that were put in place, starting in California :blast

They came in during thee early 90s and ALL cars for the European or American markets have to have the same standard OBDII standards, and the manufacturers also have to release the proprietary codes in some form of 'open source' way (not sure how that works though)

So there's no cracking or hacking involved......although non main dealer issued kit has to be produced , which culminates in us having things like the GS911 for BMW bikes and the Hawkeye (amongst others) for the Landrovers.

So basically, there's no need to worry about being able to access the settings in a bike's 'brain', although you won't have access to the Munich computers obviously.

Will still be 6k & 12K ? many have been pushing for longer service intervals and when you consider many cars are already on 20k service intervals.

The only thing that gets me with this, is the service due indicator light and not being able to get rid of it without a visit to the dealership.

I think the GS 911 unit will clear those messages, although it may not work at all on the new ones. Time will tell, I guess.

Back
Top Bottom