Hot brakes binding

mb4807

Reaction score
I use a Beta Rev 3 for technical trail riding in the alps. On longer descents , no matter how brake-friendly I ride (low gear, really slow, as much engine braking as I can find) the brakes get really hot and start to bind on.

Anyone got any ideas on what I can do to improve the situation. I am using good quality Galfer pads, but was wondering if I could use dot 5.1 fluid perhaps or find other ways to dissipate heat better?

I think any of the brake fluids specifically designed for racing (eg Castrol SRF)would help you as they have a much higher boiling point than normal fluid.

simple really

I use a Beta Rev 3 for technical trail riding in the alps. On longer descents , no matter how brake-friendly I ride (low gear, really slow, as much engine braking as I can find) the brakes get really hot and start to bind on.

Anyone got any ideas on what I can do to improve the situation. I am using good quality Galfer pads, but was wondering if I could use dot 5.1 fluid perhaps or find other ways to dissipate heat better?
Nothing to do with brake fluid type.
There is a lack of clearance on the master cylinder concerned when the brake lever is released. The master cylinder piston is being kept slightly compressed. In this state, the vent back to the reservoir is sealed, and, when brakes are cold you do not notice it. When the brake fluid heats up, the expansion brings the brakes on because the expansion path back to the reservoir is blocked.
Myke

Can I fix it

Nothing to do with brake fluid type.
There is a lack of clearance on the master cylinder concerned when the brake lever is released. The master cylinder piston is being kept slightly compressed. In this state, the vent back to the reservoir is sealed, and, when brakes are cold you do not notice it. When the brake fluid heats up, the expansion brings the brakes on because the expansion path back to the reservoir is blocked.
Myke

Thanks for that. Is that something I can do something about, or is it just the design of the master cylinder?

Not knowing the actual design:

Thanks for that. Is that something I can do something about, or is it just the design of the master cylinder?
I cannot say what the probem is.
It is unlikely to be a design fault in the master cylinder, much more likely that ( if a front brake) the lever has been broken and replaced with an incorrect model, which keeps the cylinder slightly depressed, or in the case of the rear brake, a rear brake lever stop has been adjusted downwards slightly or lever bent in knock so that the same thing happens.
Myke

Didn't the standard lever have a adjustable plunge screw, this is what acts on to the cylinder spool when lever is pulled.
If there is a screw, loosen the locknut and back the screw off until there is some free play between the screw and spool.
You can see what I mean on this pic:-

images

Also, ensure you have the correct amount of fluid in, not too much. And also check that the vent hole in the reservoir cap is not blocked.

Back
Top Bottom