headlight in Europe

stever1

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Can anybody tell me if you have to put a headlight beam mask on an R1200RT to go into Europe?.

Most bikers never bother but if you meet a stroppy French gendarme and you haven't got your breathalyzer, fluo vest, headlight adjusted etc it'll just add to your misery.

Just dip it down a bit if its dazzling people and you should have no problem.

Don't mistake people flashing you for your headlight when they may be warning you of a speed trap up the road ;)

I've travelled a fair bit in France and never bothered - have been pulled not far from Port twice now for routine checks and rozzers not bothered - had a look at bike and papers both times (second time they actually took a look at my car insurance document which was left in my licence pack and they never said a word). Both times I expected a reaming about the headlight - they never said a thing just looked at my tyres and luggage to make sure i was legal and secure then sent me on my way.

If you are worried then download the pattern for the lens mask from the Rainbow motorcycles website (not sure if other dealers do the same but this is a handy service) and then just stick some tape over the light. It is no different to using a deflector - I did this on my old GS on my first trip but never bothered since. (P.S Glue residue comes off with a bit of turps on a rag when lens is cold)

Rik

I've travelled a fair bit in France and never bothered - have been pulled not far from Port twice now for routine checks and rozzers not bothered - had a look at bike and papers both times (second time they actually took a look at my car insurance document which was left in my licence pack and they never said a word). Both times I expected a reaming about the headlight - they never said a thing just looked at my tyres and luggage to make sure i was legal and secure then sent me on my way.

If you are worried then download the pattern for the lens mask from the Rainbow motorcycles website (not sure if other dealers do the same but this is a handy service) and then just stick some tape over the light. It is no different to using a deflector - I did this on my old GS on my first trip but never bothered since. (P.S Glue residue comes off with a bit of turps on a rag when lens is cold)

Rik

The pattern is here http://www.rainbowmotorcycles.com/Links/Masks/HLMasks.php

thanks chaps, i also have taken my last bike - a GS into Europe without bothering about it. BUT, when you look at the RT, it does tend to stand out , so i was thinking i might get a headlight protector and mask that for when we are away.

I've never bothered doing anything with mine in either France or Italy.
Got the odd headlight flash but just gave them a friendly wave.

When I went to Le Mans this year plod was pulling over all bikes as we left the motorway, documents were checked but they never mentioned the headlight.

I've many, many kilometers in France on my RT12 and all I do is unplug the LH bulb and dip the headlight with the heavy load lever, works a treat.

However, a caveat... On my last trip in Switzerland, mate in front asked why I was riding in stealth mode (cue confused look from me) he said I have no lights on cept for the side lights which he said made me almost invisable in his mirrors compared to the other two guys I rode with.

Of course when I unplug my LH bulb the warning pops up (which I ignore) The RH bulb had popped on the road and I didn't know.
So 10 mins later side panel off and spare bulb fitted and all back together and off we go.

\v/

I've never bothered doing anything with mine in either France or Italy.
Got the odd headlight flash but just gave them a friendly wave.

When I went to Le Mans this year plod was pulling over all bikes as we left the motorway, documents were checked but they never mentioned the headlight.

Can't beat looking at French kid getting a lashing from a cop as to why a bald rear tyre is an issue.

Or wondering how dense some people can be by getting pished up, leaving the circuit Many Cours in this case, getting 300metres before being pulled over for being over the limit.

Back
Top Bottom