Service time.

Flying banana

Reaction score
Tomorrow I are mostly going to service the wee beasty, for the first time. Without the aid of a manual. Or a safety net. I have risk assessed the job and bought my face mask, gloves, hearing protection and overalls, and made sure the concrete in my garage is clean, tidy, and all the cracks are taped up.

Have I forgotten anything? And shall we start a sweep on how many nuts or bolts I have left over that I haven't a fecking clue where they came from? :D

I'm going in chaps; I might be some time. :thumb2

Well, I'm back:rolleyes:

Wot a PITA that was!! Took me an hour just to replace the bloody plugs!! Not as easy to work on as the old 1150, but I suppose 80mpg is a big persuader. At least next time it will be easier as I known what bits to take off first.

Well, I'm back:rolleyes:

Wot a PITA that was!! Took me an hour just to replace the bloody plugs!! Not as easy to work on as the old 1150, but I suppose 80mpg is a big persuader. At least next time it will be easier as I known what bits to take off first.

Well done.:thumb

I did my lad's for the first time a few weeks ago. Once you get to grip's with the methods involved it's pretty easy really. I had bmw do a valve clearance check, because i have no shim kit's if they need doing. Apart from that everything else i managed myself.

Well done.:thumb

I did my lad's for the first time a few weeks ago. Once you get to grip's with the methods involved it's pretty easy really. I had bmw do a valve clearance check, because i have no shim kit's if they need doing. Apart from that everything else i managed myself.

Ta muchly. Out of interest and for future reference, what was the ball park cost for the valve check? I didn't do the check this time, as I ran out of time and figured it could wait a bit, the valves being bucket and shim an' all. However, although i am happy to do the job myself, and more than competent, it might be useful to have them done 'professionally' inthe event I am time pressured.

Ta muchly. Out of interest and for future reference, what was the ball park cost for the valve check? I didn't do the check this time, as I ran out of time and figured it could wait a bit, the valves being bucket and shim an' all. However, although i am happy to do the job myself, and more than competent, it might be useful to have them done 'professionally' inthe event I am time pressured.

I seem to remember about 80.00 for a check and a bit more to adjust them, as of course the cams and wheels need to come out. The thing is you need the shim kit, so if you do it and find it needs shims it's off the road until you get them. According to the tech guy at BMW they very rarely need adjustment, and you can hear them if they do. I wont be checking them again for a minimum of 12k if not more. Lot's of bikes (650 GS) NEVER need them adjusting even after mega miles, and by that i mean many 10's of thousands. Just thought i'd start from ground zero so i knew they were ok.:thumb

Back
Top Bottom