triumph bonneville t100 your thoughts please

jackassdave

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
thinking about getting a newish /oldish t100 from 2002 -2006 /was going to go down the harley chop route again ,as a second bike ,but allready having been there £7000 lighter ,i would just like a sunday run around .
i have to admit ,i did test ride one last year or so ,and didnt really like it ,after the 1200gs ,it felt so slow .
having had the road king for a while ,im now used to poodling around 60-75 tops ,so i think im in the right frame of mind now .
so any one had one like it /hate it ,problems /joy /hate .
any comments welcome ,well most of them.

You do get used to 'em, just get yer brain in a different gear and enjoy the bimble. In fact, I think mine complements the GS nicely, I still have both in the garage and often torn between them. Obviously, the GS wins for longer days in the saddle but for a sunny toddle, you can't beat the Bonnie. Go for an EFI one if you have the choice :thumb2

Attachments

• T100a.jpg
    T100a.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 1,308
i would go for an efi ,but its the money ,by the time ive changed the exhausts ,handlebars etc ,it gets pricey.
as i said ,im used to the road king now ,so im in cruising mode ,infact i enjoy riding more now than when i had all the gsers ive had ,as ive slowed and see more now

I bought a 2nd hand low mileage 2004 model with all of the obvious upgrades already done so I didn't have to fork out for those.

I really liked it but it just wasn't getting used so I sold it to my brother, He loves it and I expect he will keep it for quite a while.

I really liked the small size of the bike compared to a GS, the sound and the fact that whenever you stopped anywhere people would come and talk to you.

I’ve been looking for one of the older ones for some time now.....MUST be in Sapphire blue. Just missed one last month ......my fault dilly dallying selling ‘bikes.

One thing I have noticed with these things, is that high mileage is rare. There are lots around with 2,000 to 6,000 miles on them....clearly just used for ‘bimbling’

Whether you will like it or not probably depends on where you have come from. If you had older Brit’ bikes, Harleys, Guzzis etc, then you will probably like the Triumph. One of those ‘bikes that probably doesn't make a lot of sense, and you just like it ‘cos you like it....Which is a good enough reason in my book.....:)

What about this

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=313919

How about this Daytona T100 1972 over £3.000 on the rebuild I did not do the rebuild I have just fitted new carbs new points ect ect . Lots of paper work workshop manual.
This will go up in value not down steady away bike ideal runabout just covered it with ACF50 the reason for sale no room in stable.
£4.000
Regards roger

thanks roger ,but i really want a modern triumph,as i dont really want to be fiddling around with something,im sure its reliable ,but id rather have modern thanks ...dave

Hi

Hi no probs I know what you mean I took one of the new t100 out at cobb & jagger shipley very nice very smooth nice bike good luck with it yes you see more @ 5o to 60 mph less stress good luck
Regards roger

I bought a new T100 in 2011, and just love it. Its not a motorway mile burner, but is fantastic on A and espacially B roads. Handling is very good, it does everything I have asked of it. Ecconomy is good, I've done 8k km so far and am getting 55-60 mpg, tires seem almost new, I've had no problems whatsover mechanically or electrically.

Seat is not very comfortable, but I've done a 600km day with the aid of a Airhawk.

Performance is adequate, sportster 1200 ish, better off the mark, and no vibration anywhere. Pipes need chaging, I have Togas from Norman Hide, I have the EFi version, and I'm told a few extra horces are available with a aircleaner conversion from British Customs in the US, same with the carbed version.

I often ride with a bunch of Harley guys here in KL, they love my Bonnie, and get seriously pissed at the attention it gets. Guaranteed if we park up the Bonnie gets the attention as Hogs are common as dirt here, the Bonnie is rare and everybodies grandad had a Triumph....

The great thing about it here in Malaysia is that the are half the price of an 883 Sporster, and a third the price of a basic Dyna.... no contest really.

I just want to look at it all the time... what can I say better than that?

Here she is on the back leg of a 600km day... and a sore arse..

2a95d9g.jpg

Pretty bike :bow Get those TOGAs on Dean, you'll be amazed at the difference, sounds like a real Bonnie :thumb

You'll probably have to disable the AI (Air Injection) once fitted 'cos she'll pop and fart on the over-run but there's a dead easy fix on Triumph Rat which involves sticking a marble up a rubber pipe :eek:

Oh, and a Scottoiler.

And a Dart flyscreen, and, and......(just like a GS, eh :D)

Togas are already fitted, the picture was taken a while back, they sound fantastic, and the poppimg on over run scares the crap out of pedestrians..:D, I'll look on the Rat site for the fix..... I wont add much more at the moment, probably change the fork springs to hogan, as front suspension is pretty basic... just dinged the rear wheel rim on a pothole, so have that to fix...

I would go and try the Moto Guzzi V7 first. I hated the Bonnie. Felt very underpowered and just characterless. Take the badge off it, put a Suzuki one on the tank and then still tell me how good it is!!! I can't understand how you can start off with a 900cc twin and make it so bland. False Carbs? Whats that all about. If you want to cruise around at 50 or 60 fine, just ride your GS slower. I have an Airhead GS and a Triumph Sprint 955 so theres no brand loyalty, I just think the Bonnie is massively overated. OK, so you could mod it up to make it what you want. The earlier carb models have a slip on Bob Farhnham tune up kit that sound interesting, but why couldn't the factory make it more interesting? The stock seat was designed by the Marquis de Sade. Sorry, but it feels more like a Honda to me..........

Togas are already fitted, the picture was taken a while back, they sound fantastic, and the poppimg on over run scares the crap out of pedestrians..:D, I'll look on the Rat site for the fix..... I wont add much more at the moment, probably change the fork springs to hogan, as front suspension is pretty basic... just dinged the rear wheel rim on a pothole, so have that to fix...

Couple of easy ways to disable the AI:

http://www.triumphrat.net/twins-technical-talk/116582-easy-ai-disabling.html

http://www.triumphrat.net/twins-technical-talk/165741-ridiculously-easy-ai-disabling.html

:thumb2

Back
Top Bottom