valve adjustments,"How far do you go between adjustments"???

bmwrich58

Reaction score
With my oilhead,I'll go 6000 miles between valve adjustments and throttle syncs and pretty much do the same with the "airhead" GS.

BM mechanic I met yesterday,said I'm going too long between adjustments on the airhead. I should be adjusting every 4000 miles. (I think it's just a "ploy" to get people to come in for business).

So, my question to everybody is how far do you go between adjustments? If I'm not mistaken,the factory manual reccommends every 15,000km's or 9320 miles.

I had nothing to do today, soooo, I figured I'd go fool around in the garage with the scooters. Realized valve adjustments on GS were a little over do. :rolleyes:

YEP!!! She be runnin' SWEET!!!!:D

my manual says every 15000Km too, but they get done more often than that on my bike. mainly in the course of some other remedial work :rolleyes:

My Oilheads get theirs checked every 6000 miles.

My Airhead every 4000 miles.

I got fed up taking he rocker covers off and finding they never needed adjustment, I have a look every 20k miles or so or if they get noisy. I suppose every bike is diffrent.

I got fed up taking he rocker covers off and finding they never needed adjustment, I have a look every 20k miles or so or if they get noisy. I suppose every bike is diffrent.

I find usually the exhaust tightens up,intake pretty much stays the same.

Duncan Richmond wrote:

I got fed up taking the rocker covers off and finding they never needed adjustment, and I have a look every 20k miles or so or if they get noisy. I suppose every bike is different.

I don't worry about my valves getting noisier--when they get too quiet, then I'm losing clearances--getting tighter. It's called valve ressession, and many airheads are plagued with it. Soon they won't be closing all the way, and the valves will burn.

BTW, I check mine every 4000 miles, or at the beginning and end of a big trip (less than 6-7000 miles).

Hi Cheifrider,

I know where you are coming from, my old crate seems to hold its clearences for ages. I do replace the exhaust valves and guides sooner than normal (and reface the seats) I am lucky enough to work overseas for 3 years at a time, usually in hot climates and with poor local fuel ( the reason I change the valves sooner) I also run looser clearences due to the heat. Don't know why the engine holds its clearences so well, it runs well but its never been a quite engine no matter what I do to it.

Regards

Back
Top Bottom