ST-VALERY-sur-somme to Dunkirk site's to view

crumbles

C*ntry Bumpkin.
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
As above,am visiting the Chinese cemetry in Nolette 80860,and then onto Calais/Dunkirk ferry.
What's in between please,have found loads to do around Ypres (hotel there) and then Albert (hotel there too)

Am leaving Albert then onto Nolette and up.

Times are flexible as have no return booking yet.(will book from over there)
Cheer's,in anticipation of reply's.
Mike:D
Leaving this Monday 3rd.

Cheer's Chas am in Albert on the 5th and leave on the 6th,also doing the poppy route.
Cheer's

+1

The Newfoundland Memorial & trenches

Cheer's Chas,i see that's not on it,so will have a look,will also look at Fricourt to (German),went to Langarmark last year and the contrast is very stark to the English cemetary's.
Mike

Visit the Ulster Tower and if its open there is a great cafe behind it run by an irish couple Maureen and Dom. They do tours of the nearby Thiepval Woods with its preserved trenches.

The Sheffield Memorial Park is very haunting but worth a visit.

Thiepval Memorial which has already been mentioned - if you visit say hi to my great uncle Arthur Whitrod and say a prayer for him please.. :)

If you get to Arras visit the huge memorial and cemetery there - called FAubourg d'Amiens Cemetery. You will see a small paht beside the cemetery which leads to the Mur des Fusillies... a cutting in the earth with a wooden post at the end of it. It was used in the 2nd WW by the nazis to shoot french reisistance workers who were then buried in its earth sides. Very humbling.

Hope this helps and enjoy!!

Visit the Ulster Tower and if its open there is a great cafe behind it run by an irish couple Maureen and Dom. They do tours of the nearby Thiepval Woods with its preserved trenches.

The Sheffield Memorial Park is very haunting but worth a visit.

Thiepval Memorial which has already been mentioned - if you visit say hi to my great uncle Arthur Whitrod and say a prayer for him please.. :)

If you get to Arras visit the huge memorial and cemetery there - called FAubourg d'Amiens Cemetery. You will see a small paht beside the cemetery which leads to the Mur des Fusillies... a cutting in the earth with a wooden post at the end of it. It was used in the 2nd WW by the nazis to shoot french reisistance workers who were then buried in its earth sides. Very humbling.

Hope this helps and enjoy!!

Will do,i always find that the one's i have visited have been very humbling and to see all the grave's,it is saddening to think of the sacrifice's they made back then.

Back
Top Bottom