verdun tunne....where

dxtans

Reaction score
Hello,
I am trying to remember a tunnel. That is around Verdun area. It is a tourist attraction , but cannot think where. Can anybody help.

Thanks
Dxtans

You're not thinking of all the underground passages at Fort Douamont are you?

Douamont4dg.jpg

Hello Richard,

Nope not those, but they are interesting and I have noted them.

Is your memory good ? We went on one of your week-end ride outs to Bouillon a couple of years ago, half of us when to the Nurburg ring, the other half went to a WW1 tunnel, that had little trains in them to ferry people around. Not much to go on I know.

thanks
David

tunnels

Hello Richard,

Nope not those, but they are interesting and I have noted them.

Is your memory good ? We went on one of your week-end ride outs to Bouillon a couple of years ago, half of us when to the Nurburg ring, the other half went to a WW1 tunnel, that had little trains in them to ferry people around. Not much to go on I know.

thanks
David

Could it be the citadel in Verdun itself? Definately has a railway and the tour is worth a look anyway.

Regards Stan

I know the one you mean, Dave and can remember the jaunt.

I need to look at my PC to dig it out. Or I can ask Charlie, who went on the train instead of coming to the 'ring.

Could it be the Citadel in Verdun itself?

Sounds like it to me, as I've not heard of any other train type attraction in the Verdun area.
The Citadel visual show is excellent, well worth the visit.:thumb2

David, Verdun certainly has a train tunnel.

I thought they went out to see Bastogne and then went somewhere to see the train etc? Very possibly it was Verdun but that is a fair old hack from Bastogne. Did they go on another day, perhaps? Or maybe I am muddling two or more jaunts together? A trawl through the 'past Wanders' section would turn it up, I guess.

There is a very good train / tunnel museum at Hackenberg. But that is SE of Luxembourg, a fair way away.

It was the Citadel we visited while you went off to the 'Ring. Great tourist attraction near the centre of twon (signposted) with English guide via a headset. You travel around the Citadel in little trains. Highly recommended :thumb

We did Bastogne the day before.

Hello Richard,
Well you are right and I got it wrong to start with. I meant to say ww2 !
It is Forts Fermont and Hackenberg

Thanks
dxtans

Hackenberg is good. Worth a detour, as Mr Bibendum would say.

Certainly is. I went there in 2005 and had a great afternoon going round the fort. At that time they only opened on Sundays and only ran a tour in English if there were English people there (and you asked) - DAMHIK...

The train was fab. Do they still have one of the underground guns that raises, lowers & rotates? I was going to say 'working' but they didn't demonstrate it going off ;)

Cheers

m

If you like that sort of thing there are some great tunnels at a little place called Vauquois, this was a heavily fought over hill where the two sides kept digging under each other and blowing up tons of explosives. Look it up in Google Maps, the site is just North of where Google shows the village, it shows the road to the car park and then trails - these are where you can walk around, in sattelite view you can clearly see the craters where the village once stood.

The village dissapeared in a series of huge craters, these are still very evident and there are a number of Trenches left pretty much as they were at the end of the War.

They sometimes open up the tunnels and run tours, I think last Sunday of each Month, the tunnels are also pretty much as they were left at the end of the War.

Well worth the trip, there is also a small museum, but if you rock up in the week this will most likely be closed, but you can walk around the trenches and see the tunnel entrances.

Just be aware the tunnels are badly lit, damp, cold, low in places and slippy. They have not been re-paved with perfect grippy tarmac, widened for the benefit of the fatter folk of the 21st century or raised the roof in recognition of the fact we are all a bit taller now and do not like stooping, and being in France health and safety have not come along and insitied on hand rails and brilliant lighting - which is why I like it.

You can visit this, and both the main forts (Vaux / Duoamont) in a day, and even take a few unpaved roads in whilst your at it.

Think it is the Maginot Line

try www.maginot-line.com it is the French fortification of the Lorraine area apparently a big White Elephant in its day because the Germans just invaded in a different area.

Rik

Back
Top Bottom