Picking this up tomorrow

Well done that man, a chap can never have too many motorbikes. :beerjug:

Had an identical one as my first 'proper' bike.

Great fun and very reliable. Reliability is a good thing I discovered as I then got a Triumph 650 tiger :D after it.

same model as my first bike, bought it for a bottle of Vodka, sat in a mates garden for 5 yrs unloved, gave the battery a bit of a charge, some fresh fuel and she started first time :)

loved that wee bike

They were nice little bikes. Tiny little things though, you'll look a real bugger riding that :D

They were nice little bikes. Tiny little things though, you'll look a real bugger riding that :D

IT wants to be small as I have to lift it onto a flat bed tranny with the owners help tomorrow. Looking forward to seeing just how rusty it is but I figure it must be worth easily what I have paid as it has a full MOT. Not sure what I will do with it. I may hang onto it until my lad is 17 in case he wants it. We will see. It will be another one crossed of the list though.

Well done Mark! That's exactly the same bike as I had in 1974, went all over on that machine. Lets have some pictures when you get it home :thumb2

Beauty! I had a blue and white one of those, slightly earlier version, but absolutely loved it and covered most of Scotland on it. Fortunately I don't have any photos of me on it as I think my memories don't involve me looking like something oot of Mario Karts :D

Lets see some more photies

Enjoy.../Rob

Here she is

100_0472_zpse5ac0e05.jpg

100_0470_zps318dc680.jpg

100_0469_zps4fbdfeae.jpg

Love the wee bikes, I've got a '76 xl125k2, never off the thing.

Just keep the oil clean, check the oil filter (looks like a tappet cover by the gearchange) and give the centrifugal filter on the rh end of the crank the occasional clean and they go on forever. Oh, and don't ever put gasket goo on the clutch cover gasket or it'll come off and block the oil supply to the head, then it's game over for the cam bearings.

There's a half decent yahoo cb125 group, there are links on it to genuine factory manuals and a few other things.

Have fun,

Craig

That'll keep you busy a few evenings Mark :thumb

That'll keep you busy a few evenings Mark :thumb

Yes.
To be honest I can`t see how it possibly passed the mot a few days ago as there are a few issues, not least fork seals, sticking throttle and a headlight that doesn`t work. No advisories either. It briefly started, then died and I couldn`t get it started again. There was a very weak spark. I put in another plug I had in the garage and that was fine. Unfortunately the reach was too long to try in the bike so I have one on order. In the meantime I have checked the valve clearances which I reckon were set to 0.5 instead of 0.05mm and also checked the points gap which was fine. Hopefully with the new plug it will fire up OK and I can have a go at the sticking slide in the carb. I know it is the slide as I removed the needle and slid the slide on its own and it was catching at a certain point. I read somewhere that you can use brasso to solve this but I am a bit sceptical. I will give it a go but will probably end up getting a new carb.

My little V50 cafe project will take priority. I took it for a spin earlier this week and I am loving the more focussed riding position. Unbelievable how well they handle. I just need a weekend of warmish weather with no wind so I can get the painting done with rattle cans. It is a budget job and I am not overly bothered what it looks like. I definately don`t want to be afraid to use it.

Well, new plug arrived, and as expected she fired up instantly. Turned out the headlight does actually work, I just didn`t realise you had to switch it on with a seperate switch to the one that does dip/main/park:blast. Had a fiddle with the carb and solved the sticking slide.
Anyway, change of plan. I have decided to move it on. I have initially put an ad on gumtree and it will sit there until the Spring and if not sold I will bung it back on ebay. I have put it up for more than I paid as I reckon it is worth it when non runners are fetching £ 200 to 300 and this has a full ticket on it.

Back
Top Bottom