To ABS or not to ABS that is the question

Edelect

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi, I'm in the market for a 1150gs and I see that there are a few around sans ABS. And some that have had it removed.
So advice please.....

Edelect

Hi Ed, you may have noticed that more GSs have ABS than not. It's generally considered to be a desirable option, will make the bike more marketable if/when you come to sell it, plus of course give you the benefit of anti-lock braking every time you ride.

Have a search of the site for more opinions, as not everyone considers ABS a no-brainer option for bikes (and the GS in particular) as it is with cars. The 1100/1150-era ABS was still a bit crude, and adds a cha-chunk noise to the general 11xx GS cacophany when it arms itself as you set off. It's also rather sensitive, and a bit of wee can escape when it kicks in unexpectedly on descents if you hit a pothole, patch of gravel, manhole cover, pile of horseshit etc. and the bike suddenly lurches forwards brakes-off for a fraction of a second (although it feels a lot longer) Most of the time though, I find it reassuring rather than worrisome.

On ABS-equipped bikes, you can disable the ABS on the rear wheel when you start the bike, for offroaders who like to plough a braking furrow with a locked back wheel on descents (or just do skids)

The ABS also provides you with a helpful early warning of when your battery's dying, by not arming when you start the bike.

HTH and hope you find a GS to love

If you are looking at the 2003 - 2005 1150 bikes, normally they would have the GenII ABS system (i.e. the ones with the servo - that whines when you pull on the brake levers). They work great - when they work. When they go wrong they tend to go wrong big time with high expense and poor handling (if they go when you're riding it).

I had two servo systems in mine, each of which lasting about 40k miles. Had it ripped out and find the bike so much better. Braking is as good as before (now without the servo) although you lose the ABS feature. Personally I don't mind as I ride off road and can handle the bike in less than ideal conditions - however, some people say that it has been a godsend.

Would I go for an 1150 with a servo? - Yes.
Would I go for an 1150 without a servo? - Yes.
Would I remove the servo/ABS system if it packs up - Yes

Don't knock a bike if it has the abs removed, they are often as good or better than the others.

Back
Top Bottom