RT1200 to a K1600GT

Done that.

Good move, or bad? It worked for me but whether it will for you I haven't a clue.

The RT was nimbler on tight bends, but the K will effortlessly pull smoothly round corners that would have me slipping the RT's clutch and dragging the back brake. The RT was more economical on petrol, tyres and insurance. The RT is lighter but that is only an issue when parking - I am much more choosy about where I park the K as manhandling it is something I prefer to avoid.

The RT will get along at sufficiently (for me) progressive speeds but the K will do so with much greater ease. If you wind on the throttle on the RT, it will lift its skirts and go. Do the same on the K and it will fly.

The RT thrums along in a kind of satisfying, organic way. The K just smoothly flies and it seems almost as though there is a big electric motor powering it. The RT will want you to be in the right gear at the right time, otherwise it will let you know. The K doesn't get the concept of the right gear/right speed so well. Twist and go. It will pull below 30 in top without protest, but that is not the way to get the best from it.

The RT sounds like a boxer - nothing at all wrong with that - but the K sounds like nothing else out there. The GTL makes a little less noise than the GT by design.

Weather protection on the RT is very good, the K is OK. Nothing in it on luggage carrying, but depending on spec, the K may have more toys. The engine mode button on all of the Ks is surprisingly useful.

There is no substitution for trying it, but that might be an expensive test ride :)

Interesting comparison :beerjug: I have just bought a new RT which I love but thinking ahead the 1600 could be its replacement. Looking forwards to others comments :thumb2

I'd agree with Peterh

I had an r1100rt and 1200GS, but have only tested a 1200rt.

For me the 1600gt is nearly perfect and after 13000 miles I still love it.
Although the Boxer has character and is nimble for a big bike, the 1600 is effortless. I have ridden Wales to Manchester or Derby or London and back in a day easily and feel as fresh when I get off as first thing. The engine is so powerful and torquey that overtakes are simple mind games.

All the 'leccy toys work well so far, the bike is exceptionally well designed and easy to live with (central locking etc). I rode to Rome and back for a conference with pleasure.

It is not a 10 mile a day commuter through thick traffic, but for warping time on an intercontinental trip it is bloody marvellous!

p.s. there is more difference between the GT and the GTL than you may think! _ I could not get on with the GTL and would never buy one.

p.s. there is more difference between the GT and the GTL than you may think! _ I could not get on with the GTL and would never buy one

I agree with that. On a test ride back-to-back with a GT I found the GTL curiously uninvolving. The GT on the other hand ....

Different strokes and all that - life would be dull if we all liked the same things.

I have never owned (but have ridden) an RT, so it's impossible for me to say which is better. Try them both and see what you think.

As regards the 1600GT 'Ownership experience', I have clocked up 24,000 on mine since last June.

Has it been faultless? No. It overheated in the Alps, finally put down to a faulty thermostat. Been OK since.

It eats tires, too. I regularly go through front and back together in about 4,200 to 4,500 miles. That mileage is mostly clocked up abroad, predominantly non-motorway. I run Metzler Z8 tyres on the brute, which are fine wet and dry, down narrow (grass up the middle) lanes right up to super smooth highways. I can't be bothered to try anything else, but I'm sure other makes of tyre will be just fine, too.

I run my bike mostly solo, but I leave it set for 'Two up, with luggage' on the pre-load and 'Sport' on the damping, irrespective. The 'Comort' mode is foul, the bike wallowing like a barge in a storm; never touch it.

It's a heavy bike, so you do need to be confident and 'drive' the thing. You don't want it to be pointing the wrong way, off the power.

After 24,000 miles, the original suspension is getting a bit tired. This is not surprising given the bike's weight and power. Wilbers do a front and back ESA II replacement and there is stories that Ohlins will be doing a set, much as they do for the GS1200. I will probably be going for a replacement sometime soon. The rear shock is easy enough to get at, but apparently the front is a bit of a nightmare. I am talking to MCT about using my bike as an experiment, so they can get the hang of it and offer a 'Ride in - Ride out' service for other punters. That being said, it's odds-on that BMW will offer their version of 'Skyhook' / semi-active suspension when they come to revamp the bike.

What else? Reasonable fuel consumption, a decent sized tank, plenty of luggage space. Stupidly positioned auxiliary sockets. The standard exhaust set up is fine. All day comfortable. Good in central London traffic. No need to add any 'bling' at all and.... In case you hadn't guessed..... It goes like hell.

Buy with confidence.

corners that would have me slipping the RT's clutch and dragging the back brake.

I have never found a corner that has me slipping the clutch and dragging the back brake in nearly 40 yrs of motorcycling and a variety of bikes including my present 1200RT. I feel I am missing out, where can I find such corners?

Shipwreck, good luck with whatever you buy. I tried the 1600 and found I was doing 120mph in third when I red lined it and spent very little time using the awesome power whereas with the 1200 I enjoy working the engine to get it moving. Both brilliant bikes but M/Cs are bought with the heart not the head or else we would all be riding round in cars :D

I have never found a corner that has me slipping the clutch and dragging the back brake in nearly 40 yrs of motorcycling and a variety of bikes including my present 1200RT. I feel I am missing out, where can I find such corners?

The Stelvio has a couple, and I wimped out on one of my trips over the Pass of the Cattle. I guess much depends on the speed at which you go round the corners, and preference. I'd rather not risk stalling instead opting for smooth power down than lumpy on some bends. But then I'm:

a) a wimp;

b) certainly no riding god; and

c) always able to find inspiration in the abilities of others.

The Stelvio has a couple, and I wimped out on one of my trips over the Pass of the Cattle. I guess much depends on the speed at which you go round the corners, and preference. I'd rather not risk stalling instead opting for smooth power down than lumpy on some bends. But then I'm:

a) a wimp;

b) certainly no riding god; and

c) always able to find inspiration in the abilities of others.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPBEOB7-XZc

These sort of corners, k1600 seems to handle them no probs, right handers look scary though particularly with oncoming traffic, guess its about confidence and timing. Go for it Shipwreck:thumb

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPBEOB7-XZc

These sort of corners, k1600 seems to handle them no probs, right handers look scary though particularly with oncoming traffic, guess its about confidence and timing. Go for it Shipwreck:thumb

Ridden plenty of mountain passes and any bike can do them. I was at Moto Pistons last October and we did a few passes similar to the video. A couple of guys on a 1978 Z200 Kawa and an old Fanny Barnet trials hammered the corners on a 5 mile long twisty section and no one could get passed them until the road straightened out. The general conclusion at the bar in the evening was the heavier the M/C the less fun corners are. I go along with that.

RT To a K1600GT

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies. I really love the RT and bike is great for the mainly 2 up riding I do. I came from a Hayabusa to the RT and though initially I did not miss the power/engine of the Busa. A mate of mine bought a K1600GT and he let me and the other half ride it back from Scarborough to Fridaythorpe. The engine noise is intoxicating and for a big bike it could really hustle on the b roads from Staxton Hill. It got me thinking that maybe I could have the best of both worlds in a bike that ticks all the boxes for touring but will give me the exhilaration of the Busa. So there you have it. It is scratch that is in need of itching. Thanks again. :thumb2:thumb2:beerjug:

I recently went back to my second RT, after an affair with a Harley last year (beautiful bike, great sound but didn't go round corners or stop...which was a drawback). I love the RT but the bar-stewards at Vines lent me a 1600GT when I took the RT in for its first service last week. Despite the snow showers I spent 5 hours on it, including central London to Eastbourne and back to Guildford and the RT felt like a dinky toy when I picked it up. The RT is a brilliant bike - but the GT blew me away. Ho, hum... I've started saving up...

Back
Top Bottom