R80 OFF ROAD PROJECT

jim elderfield

Reaction score
Hiya chaps,
I am going to build an R80 off roader using a KTM front end and either an 1100GS or 1150 GS back end anybody done it ? would like to talk to you before I start if possible. Also is it possible to use any R80 frame or is it best to start with a GS frame or can any R80 frame be adapted as I already have 2 twin shock complete frames.
Any help, pictures, chat would be great or even better if I could see the bike in the flesh.
Cheers jim 07774 804052 :beer:

See the HPN site for photos.

The paralever rear end gains performance (suspension wise) but looses reliablity (U joint wise). Your choice.

This what you mean....?

Belgian bike, and I may be able to figure out where from, for you to contact re the nitty gritty

Attachments

• wilfriedsgs 1.jpg
    wilfriedsgs 1.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 804
R80 OFFROAD JOBBIE

Hiya Grizz,
That is exactly what I want to do, wow that looks the dogs bits.
Any info You can find would be great, if mine turns out something like that I will be over the moon.
Cheers jim:beer:

OFFROAD JOBBIE

Hiya Charlie,
How far have you got , what front end you using, what back end, did you start with a GS frame so many questions what problems so far.
cheers jim:beer:

I prefer the dirty pictures...

links1.jpg

rechts1.jpg

It's not sold.

I am however building a second one, more suited for travelling.

( Big HPN Tank, Alu panniers, Marzocchi instead of WP forks, longer gearing ... )

CrazyIvan said:
a couple of days work left...

bmw2.JPG

Wilfried,
Glad you came in on this, could not track down your e-mail adress.
Looks like the monkeys nutzz you are building.
Ek wens ek kon in jou skool n student wees.
Hope you can link the Dutch/Flemish to this.

Cheers,
Rian

haha

hey Crazy Ivan

that is a nice bit of work.

It is obvious u r not in GB due to the brown stuff on the bike.

Keep the good work up.

Steve

R80 OFFROAD PROJECT

Hiya Crazy ivan,
what problems did you have joining the 1100GS rear end to the R80 gearbox? can you buy an adaptor?
Is it possible to use any R80 frame or must it be a GS frame?
Any help and advice would be very welcome.

Cheers jim :beer:

P.S. Your bikes are fantastic hope mine looks a little bit like it on completion.

Hi Jim,

There are adaptors, but they are not for sale !!

If you buy a bike at HPN, or have one build, they will sell you an adaptor. They won't sell to 'ordinary mortals' like you and me.

With a bit of imagination you can figure it out :

Combine the old cardan-shaft end with the output shaft of a 11xx gearbox and you get the picture.

I've had one made by a friend who's in the 'machining' business. Afterwards you need to have it 'hardened'.

Figure this out out before you start with the rest of the project !!

I suppose you can use all airhead frames to build a dirtbike, but if i'm not mistaken HPN only uses the later airhead GS frames ('88 - '96) for converting to R11XX swingarms. Those frames are stronger ( and a bit heavier...)

Keep in mind that the R11xx swingarm is narrower, so you need to weld a flange onto the frame at the left side, and you need a subframe to support the central shock.

Good luck with your project!

offroader

CrazyIvan said:
It's not sold.

I am however building a second one, more suited for travelling.

( Big HPN Tank, Alu panniers, Marzocchi instead of WP forks, longer gearing ... )
hi mate
i'm being a bit cheekey here BUT if your bike was for sale i would be very interested,pm me or call00441865308085.....cheer's..... loz

Back
Top Bottom