Tarting up my Fazer

topcat2006

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Last year I bought a fazer 1000 off one of the forum members. It needed a bit of work as he had bought it from a guy who had taken it to bits and never put it back together.....

720c82c3.jpg

This is one of the pictures that Martin sent me of it in his garage. It had been SORN'D since 2008.

My first job was to put it back together and make it so I could ride it over the summer and see what needed doing.

1bc95c18.jpg

I did this in a few weeks and this was just as I was taking it for its first MOT since 2008. It promptly blew the front fork seals on the way to the MOT centre.....

I did these and spent some time freeing up the exup valve which was seized solid. It cost me a new set of exup cables (get a mortgage) and some tungsten carbide bits to remove the tap which snapped off in one of the holes that I had had left from drilling the exup valve bolts out.

I rode it over the summer and added some panniers and a top box and had a great time with my son Ewan.

When the winter came I had a list of work to do...

The first was to refurbish the swingarm. I also wanted to replace the rear shock as it was weeping oil and refurbish the front of the engine.

First the swingarm. Easy to remove.

20130106_204202.jpg

Before paint.

20130104_144348.jpg

The swingarm and the hugger after rubbing down, etch primer and paint.

20130119_133919.jpg

The front of the engine before paint.

20130104_144405.jpg

The exhaust headers were removed (no studs sheared in the removal of this header...) and the front of the engine sprayed with Simoniz aluminium engine enamel (a good match). New exhaust studs (stainless) and nuts fitted.

20130119_133934.jpg

The exhaust headers were polished with wire wool and t cut.

20130119_133857.jpg

The radiator, fan and radiator guard sprayed with Hammerite Satin Black.

20130119_133904.jpg

I'm now starting to reassemble the bike - just waiting for some rad hoses to arrive, exhaust gasket rings, R6 shock and some other bits and bobs.

I'll try and remember to keep adding to this.

Tom

Getting there Mike - not as good as yours though.

I need to learn to stop being impatient!

Any ideas on how to protect that exhaust now I have it shiny? Was going to keep putting Autoglym srp on it.

You won't stop them discolouring but any good polish (Autoglym or Zymol) will protect them from crap sticking between re-polishing.

If there's a "wonder" product, I've not found it yet. Autoglym High Gloss Protection is the nearest thing I've found.

I love threads like this...

Looks like you were jammy not shearing an exhaust stud.....

Please keep us posted......:)

I love threads like this...

Looks like you were jammy not shearing an exhaust stud.....

Please keep us posted......:)

I was so scared that I would. In the end I sprayed them with plus gas twice a day for two weeks, tapped them with a hammer, tightened them till I heard a crack and then undid them.

Tom

Sorry for the delay in updating the thread - I've been out riding the Frazer.....

20130217_131814_zps5a09155e.jpg

The R6 shock was found and its made a huge difference to the bike.

Its all polished up nicely and after new sparkplugs, flushing the cooling system, new coolant, refurbishing the callipers front and back, new brake pads in the back, new brake fluid it goes and stops really well.

Tom

Back
Top Bottom